So I bought a car hauler, questions/suggestions

wnaplay1647545503

This is a continuation of the ramp thread from earlier.

I swapped the utility trailer I had for sale for a homebuilt 2 rail car hauler. Its definitely not heavy duty,has no suspension and is built right on the axles. I don't plan on hauling things very far obviously, I just figured if I was going to have a trailer it might as well be able to haul a car which the utility could not. The hauler was used by an old guy who probably didn't ever think about safety. I know he hauled cars from time to time including a bobcat and track ho. For what I got out of the utility trailer I was able to do some updating on this thing and still have some cash left over so far. The rails were decked with about 8 different pieces of varying size and thickness of wood(barely held on). I have since replaced it all with 2x12x16' pressure treated lumber, rewired the lights and installed a new jack. I wanted to redo the deck with diamond plate but the cost of metal alone would have put me over the cost of a brand new trailer. I am thinking about just putting wood over the entire thing and making it one solid deck rather than just the 2 rails.

My question is how would I ever be able to tell how much weight this thing can hold? I know its not something I would haul a car from state to state on and primarily just got it to haul locally but I want to make sure its safe. The welds all look solid but the axles are rated for? And are from? The goal is to not spend beyond what I was able to get from the other trailer or spend so much I could have just bought an engineered new one for. I still need to figure out some sort of ramps to use so cheap suggestions are appreciated.

Anything to consider before using this thing or a way to determine its capabilities? I hope to get some pics tomorrow.

How would I ever figure those questions out?

Did you ask the guy?

Maybe take it to a local trailer/RV shop?

This is like guessing how much weight you can flop in a truck and be "safe" without knowing what frame and options the truck even has.

even smaller trackhoes and bobcats easily equal and exceed the weight of a car. To begin with try to see if there are any numbers or names on the axles. They could be standard 3,500 lb trailer axles or another common axle is old mobile home axles, especially since its a home built trailer.

Post some photos of things like axles, the deck underside, any frame rails and cross members and maybe some of us can help out. My old 7,000lb car hauler had 4" C channel for a frame under a diamond plate steel deck.

The axles(2) are in what appears were their original housing/frame and someone simply cut the section out that held the axles and started building the new trailer right to the top of it, if that makes sense. It has 5 lug hubs I believe and has what I am almost certain or some year of chevy cavalier rims.

The axles(2) are in what appears were their original housing/frame and someone simply cut the section out that held the axles and started building the new trailer right to the top of it, if that makes sense. It has 5 lug hubs I believe and has what I am almost certain or some year of chevy cavalier rims.

if they are standard car tires, i would be weary of putting to much weight on that trailer. find out the load rating on the tires. if they are regular car tires i would not put more than 3500lbs onto that trailer.

if you get correct trailer tires, the next determining factor will be the bearings and like i said, the only way to find out the load rating of the bearings is to pull them out and research the part number

Without seeing it live, it looks like about a 5000 lb trailer. I would haul most cars (3000-4000lbs) but not must more with it. Should be fine for what you plan to use it for.

This looks to be about what I'd guess as well based on the pics.

If you want to be much safer drill and bolt a few places around the structure, ie tongue triangle, axle assembly. That will give a bit more security incase the welds aren't as good as they look or are starting to rust. Otherwise looks solid enough for race cars for sure.

I'd still be interested to know what model trackhoe was hauled on it. Other than the very tiny 4' wide ones there isn't much that doesn't weight in at least twice the weight of a corolla. You don't get a very big one in the 6,000-15,000 lb range.

Oh and it looks much safer than a lot of trailers I've seen cars on.

Looking again, I'd also find more ways to reinforce the tongue assembly. I see many trailers with tongues broken where those welds are. Thats going to be the point of most twisting, etc while bouncing down the road. The axles could easily have been cut out of a mobile home so they should be fine. I'd just make sure you have actual car hauler tires on it so you got the right rating.

I was surprised to see both tops and bottoms of all metal is fully welded. It won't hold a lot of weight I know that. I will try to get my ram up on it and see just how bad it flexes. That's probably more weight than I will ever reasonably put on it. I will make it a full deck trailer as I typically just haul materials or stuff for people which I was able to do with the utility I sold. I just wanted to also be able to throw a car on it for short distances Just in case I wanted to.

More of a small front end loader than an actual track ho excavator.