Want to build a daily hyper miler, help me chose a platform

justmyluck

Everyone has their toy, and some of us daily drive our toys, but what if we wanted to mod a car to get the best mpg's possible?

1. What car/engine would be your base?

2. What modifications would you make?

3. what would you budget for your build?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geo metro. 5 speed with the skinniest tires possible. Might as well duct tape all the seams while your at it.

I've heard they have diesel 3 cyl metros as well but I've never seen one.

This.

No rear brakes. No seats except for driver (and use a lawn chair for that). Maybe sacrifice the extra weight to have a harpoon on the front that attaches to semi trailer bumpers.

haha the geo metro with a harpoon ftw.

On a serious note, I am looking to do this to see what mods (other then weight reduction) actually make the biggest difference. I want to hit 50+mpg's at 70mph straight highway cruising

Right now my plan is a early 2000's civic as the base. Its a very cheep, reliable platform, with easily obtainable parts. The CRX would make a good platform as well, but finding a clean running one is becoming a thing of the past. The VW diesel idea sounds good, but I have a GTI now...and working on VW's are a pain.

So, as I sit, my plan is a civic, gutted, skinny tires, with a tune to get the base mpg's.

Things I have thought of to try ( NOTE: all of these things are just ideas, yes some are crazy, and some are really expensive)

1. intake/exhaust: we all know it helps with power, but can it help with fuel economy

2. Aero: Tapped seams, wheel covers, lowering, front lips, holes in the bumper, etc. you can go wild with this one. Where does your ROI dip into the negatives?

3. Engine: port and polish, forced induction, engine management

4. Trans: lightened flywheel, taller gearing

what would you add to the list? What would you do first?

You definitely don't want to make holes in the car anywhere. You'd be better off making panels for the entire bottom side of the car so there's no turbulence or drag beneath.

I also wouldn't suggest a lightened flywheel as it's used for momentum... you want all the momentum you can keep in that car when cruising/coasting.

I would remove the big mirrors for very very small ones, or really anything outside the car that could cause drag. Cover any possible holes or openings with tape and remove wipers etc.

over-inflate your tires and get moon caps. lowering the car will definitely help.

Lose all the weight you possibly can in the car.

The import tuner article (all 5 parts) was an interesting read, but they spent multiple thousands of dollars to save a few bucks per fill up. Seems pretty silly to me.

I couldn't find the rest of the project, but this is exactly what I was going to say. I understand the want/need for a daily to save wear and tear, and the more it saves on gas the better, but any mpg mods over ~$100 or so, I just don't see the payoff unless you put a ton of miles on it.

I couldn't find the rest of the project, but this is exactly what I was going to say. I understand the want/need for a daily to save wear and tear, and the more it saves on gas the better, but any mpg mods over ~$100 or so, I just don't see the payoff unless you put a ton of miles on it.

LMGTFY...

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

my dads stock jetta TDI pulled 52mpg the whole way to Cincinnati last week. Problem solved

Project sipper, VeeDub Edition? Add an underbody tray/front lip/aero spoiler, lower it, replace windows with lexan and hood/doors/trunk with CF parts. Maybe hit 55mpg?

Edit, forgot the expensive 1 piece forged rims and low rolling resistance tires. 56mpg.

So, as I sit, my plan is a civic, gutted, skinny tires, with a tune to get the base mpg's.

Things I have thought of to try ( NOTE: all of these things are just ideas, yes some are crazy, and some are really expensive)

1. intake/exhaust: we all know it helps with power, but can it help with fuel economy

2. Aero: Tapped seams, wheel covers, lowering, front lips, holes in the bumper, etc. you can go wild with this one. Where does your ROI dip into the negatives?

3. Engine: port and polish, forced induction, engine management

4. Trans: lightened flywheel, taller gearing

what would you add to the list? What would you do first?

Not just skinny tires, Low Rolling Resistance tires. Shit for handling, great for MPGs as long as the cost difference of the tire is not enough to outweigh any potential savings.

Underbody tray/cover will be a big difference.

If it has power steering, get rid of that for sure. Drain on resources, and you'll make it lighter.