Elio

Exodus

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

http://jalopnik.com/the-elio-is-americas-next-great-demi-car-for-freaks-and-1743561632

LOL. I don't know why Doug DeMuro has such a solid Jalopnik following when better writers like Raphael penned this awesome article. Bravo. I can totally imagine all the unwashed masses that are flocking to this thing. I had to Google Image what a "utilikilt" was.

Happy to see a new engine under the bonnet instead of an old Geo Metro wheezer. I still have a soft spot for a blue Elio with a manual transmission...

http://jalopnik.com/the-elio-is-americas-next-great-demi-car-for-freaks-and-1743561632

LOL. I don't know why Doug DeMuro has such a solid Jalopnik following when better writers like Raphael penned this awesome article. Bravo. I can totally imagine all the unwashed masses that are flocking to this thing. I had to Google Image what a "utilikilt" was.

Happy to see a new engine under the bonnet instead of an old Geo Metro wheezer. I still have a soft spot for a blue Elio with a manual transmission...

That IS the old Geo Metro wheezer with a bunch (presumably) Pep Boys upgrades, since that will be the official service provider of Elio.

"Your oil change will take approximately 30 minutes, would you like us to to apply chrome letters to the back of your 'car' while we're at it? We'd be happy to spell your name, or some other nom-de-plume? May I suggest 'DANK NUGGGS', that seems to be popular here these days, or perhaps a simple DUB EDITION logo? We also have a wide variety of fake chrome vents if you are so inclined"

I'm glad someone else feels the same way about Doug's articles as I do.

I'm glad someone else feels the same way about Doug's articles as I do.

Here's a recent article I copied from a Gawker site...

"HAIGUYZ I'M DOUG DEMUREOHH...

I'm writing an article called:

"I'M DOUG AND I HAVE A SKYLINE"

BY DOUG DEMURO. <<<<That's me!!! Did you see this is my article???

Hai everyone! My name is DOUG and I have a Skyline. You'd know this if you read my last article HERE. If you didn't you eat crayons and took a short bus to school. (HAHAHAH!! Did you see my hilarious joke!?!?) When someone important like me is trying to sell a Skyline, they can't. Here's why...by Doug Demuro:

1)PEOPLE DON'T HAVE MONIES - Ha ha! Ninjaz be broke deeese days.

B)THEY CAN'T SPELL - I'm Doug and I hate when people use "ur". It's like "I want to by ur car" and I, Doug Demuro, think "Hai! This guy eats crayons". <<<LOOK!!!! There's another funny joke! Man...this Doug Demuro guy...he's really funny and smart!

Check me out! I'm Doug DeMuro and I have a Skyline and I used to have a Hummer! Bye for now."

I saw a couple of his videos where he reviews a car and, oh man...I've got this guy's persona pegged. When he thinks of a "eats crayons" joke, he must think so highly of himself. Yeah, if you can't tell I'm not a fan of his stuff. :)

• 3 weeks later...
How in the hell have they spent $53 million already? If they made $1500 per Elio, they'd have to sell 35,000 of 'em just to break even, assuming they go to market tomorrow...

It takes a ridiculous amount of money to bring a car to market when you're an established auto manufacturer, let alone when you're nobody.

It takes a ridiculous amount of money to bring a car to market when you're an established auto manufacturer, let alone when you're nobody.

Yes, but what have they spent the money on so far? They say they need another $230 million to actually acquire the production plant, tooling and build out the assembly lines, as well as finalizing the design and whatnot. That's, you know, all the expenses you expect when someone starts a new car company. But they have none of that, they have a few prototype motorcycles with Suzuki engines. It just seems like $53 million is a staggering amount to have spent to be where they're at.

Yes, but what have they spent the money on so far? They say they need another $230 million to actually acquire the production plant, tooling and build out the assembly lines, as well as finalizing the design and whatnot. That's, you know, all the expenses you expect when someone starts a new car company. But they have none of that, they have a few prototype motorcycles with Suzuki engines. It just seems like $53 million is a staggering amount to have spent to be where they're at.

How many years have they been in operation? At least 4. They do have employees, and they have outsourced some engineering. They had an all new engine designed and built. They have built several vehicles, and lobbied for the motorcycle exemption. They have to have building they are leasing. They have also sent a team of people on a cross-country tour, showing the car at events, transporting cars and gear, giving out swag, putting them up in hotels, etc.

All this costs money. The $53 million figure does not surprise me.

R&D for a car from scratch can easily get into the 9-figure range. ~$300mil to bring a car like this, which basically uses no new technology, to market from scratch sounds about right.

$53mil can disappear really quickly when you need to constantly market a product that's not for sale.

I saw some interview where they said the car will be made from parts already available in the market so no, no new technology. They will partner with Pepboys to do warranty service you will be able to get parts for do it yourself'ers.

I'm interested. I don't need anything bigger going to and from work. Looks easy enough to work on and maintain.

• 4 weeks later...

Just another example of government stomping on innovation.

IMO I should be able to make the choice to drive a car like the elio and endanger my own life if I so choose. In this example, I don't need the government to regulate my choices or safety.

Just another example of government stomping on innovation.

IMO I should be able to make the choice to drive a car like the elio and endanger my own life if I so choose. In this example, I don't need the government to regulate my choices or safety.

It's not about you. It's about other motorists, insurance companies, etc.

Let's say you and I get into an accident. Slight fender bender, I rearend you in your Elio. Let's say there's a fire and you get trapped in the car. Or I break your back and paralyze you. I don't want to get sued by your family for negligent homicide/injury because YOU decided to drive a car that got you killed/hurt. Would you deem it reasonable for insurance companies to determine that an Elio is an extremely high risk vehicle due to the complete lack of safety equipment despite the fact that it can drive like a car? I'm sure people wouldn't be fans of paying $200/month insurance premiums for a $7k car, that would probably sink the company.

I fully support the NHTSA in this matter. While Elio has constantly called it a "vehicle" for this reason, everyone refers to it as a "car". Hell, even that link refers to it as a car. It should be regulated as one.

It's not about you. It's about other motorists, insurance companies, etc.

Let's say you and I get into an accident. Slight fender bender, I rearend you in your Elio. Let's say there's a fire and you get trapped in the car. Or I break your back and paralyze you. I don't want to get sued by your family for negligent homicide/injury because YOU decided to drive a car that got you killed/hurt. Would you deem it reasonable for insurance companies to determine that an Elio is an extremely high risk vehicle due to the complete lack of safety equipment despite the fact that it can drive like a car? I'm sure people wouldn't be fans of paying $200/month insurance premiums for a $7k car, that would probably sink the company.

I fully support the NHTSA in this matter. While Elio has constantly called it a "vehicle" for this reason, everyone refers to it as a "car". Hell, even that link refers to it as a car. It should be regulated as one.

I understand you point.