Elio

Exodus

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be absolutely ridiculous to throw over $100million at this fiasco. The whole idea of these loans is to take companies whose ideas would otherwise be unfunded and non-starters and give them a boost with the hopes that their unique use of technology trickles into the mass market and the overall social benefit is worth the risk of investing hundreds of millions of dollars in unproven ideas.

Elio's idea is not only completely derivative (T-Rex, Morgan 3wheeler) of past vehicles, it is entirely unusable for a majority of American families, and past attempts at similar ideas (Snyder ST-600C for example) have been failures and have done nothing to improve or change the automotive marketplace.

"Simplify then add lightness" has been around for a long time, but it doesn't conform with safety regs and makes for a pretty shitty daily driver experience.

Good riddance.

• 2 months later...

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/elios-ceo-explains-how-he-can-sell-an-84-mpg-car-for-6-1677743693/1677806819/+pgeorge

This thing is still on death watch for me. Quite frankly, Paul's comments are silly. "We're not at 84mpg, kinda like 81.6mpg. And it's not $6,800, more like $7,300...or something. I don't know. We've only built one with a Geo Metro engine and it gets 27mpg."

I still like the idea. I hear Alex above, but there isn't an enclosed trike option. Love the idea of a T-Rex, Slingshot, or Morgan 3-wheeler, but you couldn't use it as a daily driver.

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/elios-ceo-explains-how-he-can-sell-an-84-mpg-car-for-6-1677743693/1677806819/+pgeorge

This thing is still on death watch for me. Quite frankly, Paul's comments are silly. "We're not at 84mpg, kinda like 81.6mpg. And it's not $6,800, more like $7,300...or something. I don't know. We've only built one with a Geo Metro engine and it gets 27mpg."

I still like the idea. I hear Alex above, but there isn't an enclosed trike option. Love the idea of a T-Rex, Slingshot, or Morgan 3-wheeler, but you couldn't use it as a daily driver.

Still pretty interested to see if this comes to production, and if it does, for how long...

IAV is doing the engine development. They have 65 percent of the engineering services business in Germany. They do all the engine development for Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Bentley, Bugatti, and Elio, among others. They did the Veyron engine, and although ours isn't going to be as fast, it's going to be just as good.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Allow me to translate that for everyone:

FANTASTIC NEWS EVERYBODY!!! We totally struck out on getting any major manufacturer with a reliable, well researched and tested engine to sell us their motors for a reasonable sum. Therefore, we have coordinated with a company you've never heard of to build an engine to a budget rather than a purposeful design using technology that was considered stale a decade a go. While we have no proof whatsoever that this engine will not be a dud from the get-go, there's also no proof that it WILL be a dud from the get-go, so there's that.

Additionally, this engine will do things that cars such as the 2004 Chevrolet Aveo did 10 years ago, such as get to 60 mph in the time it takes to tie a necktie, and reach the ever-elusive 100mph mark, something that cars have only been doing for 110 years.

Alright, alright...Bitter McSandycrotch!!! Geez...we get it. Paul Elio fucked your high-school prom date when you were smoking a Marlboro outside with the cool kids ('cuz all the cool kids...they seem to get it) and now you want REVENGE...

Sad to admit that, from my Elio following, even I know they've been talking about using IAV for the 3-cylinder for the last couple of years. This is new in that the pic shows what looks way more like an actual mill (with alternator and A/C compressor) than it ever did before. Kudos to them for that much.

Still need to see way more before I think it'll survive, but that's a good step forward...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

https://www.eliomotors.com/elio-momentum-v7-success-of-crowdfunding-initiative/

Crowd fundings! STEP RIGHT UP! Can you say "snake oil salesman"?

$240 million....that's the only number that matters. Need to start getting moar people to throw down some $20s at this bish...

https://www.eliomotors.com/elio-momentum-v7-success-of-crowdfunding-initiative/

Crowd fundings! STEP RIGHT UP! Can you say "snake oil salesman"?

$240 million....that's the only number that matters. Need to start getting moar people to throw down some $20s at this bish...

$250.00 minimum buy in

• 1 month later...