Any AS/400 Mainframe guys?

Rally Pat

I work in IT at my company, and have been hammering away at getting rid of the last remaining XP machines before Microsoft starts charging us for them. There is one guy who has one that all he does is remote into it from his Windows 7 laptop and uses it to upload data into an AS/400 using IBM Client Access Express.

I am trying to find the same program or a newer alternative to install on this guy's laptop so that I can simply decommission this one instead of replace it. IBM's website is almost completely uselss, and has no download links to the software.

Anyone who knows anything about this would be a great help.

Thanks!

Take a look at these

http://www.mochasoft.dk/

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/access/solutions.html

P.S. what kind of weird licensing do you have that microsoft is going to charge you directly for holding onto XP machines?

Microsoft and Corporate will charge $200 per machine to keep writing security patches for ones still in service, that's what I've been told by those above me, anyway.

Thanks for the links, we actually use Mochasoft as one of our terminal emulators, but I am not sure if it will have the functionality he needs. The other we use is Attachmate.

Microsoft and Corporate will charge $200 per machine to keep writing security patches for ones still in service, that's what I've been told by those above me, anyway.

Thanks for the links, we actually use Mochasoft as one of our terminal emulators, but I am not sure if it will have the functionality he needs. The other we use is Attachmate.

Might just be something internal, MS generally kills all support in general at end of life. Could also be something new starting at XP, who knows.

I've never used mochasoft unfortunately so I couldn't say, and I hate Attachmate with passion. I'll ask some of my buddys that are more involved with mainframe work and see if they can recommend any good W7 alternatives.

I remember reading that over in the UK, microsoft will continue patches for 1 year for a fee. Maybe that's what they were referring to.