Best public golf courses

Lauren

You'll probably get a response from a guy named Mark but he's gay and spells his name with a "C" instead of a "K". Don't listen to this choch, he bobs for apple flavored dildos on halloween.

I missed Cooks Creek. That's a goodie.

As a couple have said, I think Clover Valley is a top notch course. The greens are IMO the best of the public courses. Out in that area I'm also a big fan of Echo Springs (already mentioned) and Kyber Run.

Winding Hollow is beautiful and challenging, and if you go beyond that you can play the very easy but VERY cheap Willow Run. At Willow you can play as much golf as you want after 1pm (weekday) with a cart for $20. Can't beat that.

@Clay I live pretty close to Raymond and it's definitely not a bad course, but far from my favorite. I think it's the 4th hole that is a nasty dogleg par 4 with tall trees on the right...that hole is my favorite in the city because when I hit my awful driver slice, I can usually hit the green in 1 which infuriates everyone that I play with who is 50x better than I.

I work for Nike Golf as Tech Rep and in my own capacity of club fitting and equipment sales.

Blah blah blah...all golf courses are annoyed by equipment/apparel reps...Don't listen to me as I don't know what I am talking about.

Nothing really bad to say about Wedgewood or Tartan except that their older members turn their noses and snub 'junior' members or new members that get in now without paying an initiation fee and have reduced monthly dues.

The Lakes is a great course but the greens suffer in the summer. They have had a lot of issues with alien grasses taking over and ruining them. Over the past few years they have put a lot of money into them and have been rebuilding but I hear the issues are not completely fixed. They are really well known for being family friendly and have an amazing clubhouse and pool facility if you have a wife/kids that don't golf.

Don't forget about Medallion or Jefferson. Medallion offers 27 holes of golf and has awesome pricing and is in Westerville. The clubhouse is a bit dated. Jefferson is a really nice golf course but not very close for me. Judging from the courses you have mentioned, I don't think it is very close for you either.

I will reiterate that Brookside is a fantastic golf course.

Scarlet is an awesome deal for an OSU Alum.

I would disagree with Brandon's assessment of Kinsale/Scioto Reserve's pricing. I never had an issue at Scioto Reserve with 'hidden' fees and they were very upfront with how you were allowed to leave the club. I have a few coworkers that were relocated and had no issues leaving either.

All of these clubs will welcome you out for a round of golf and tour of the facility if you are interested in joining. Hell, you could set this up at all the clubs and enjoy a good amount of free golf throughout the summer before making a decision ;).

You'll probably get a response from a guy named Mark but he's gay and spells his name with a "C" instead of a "K". Don't listen to this choch, he bobs for apple flavored dildos on halloween.

I missed Cooks Creek. That's a goodie.

You suck at life. And golf. Bitch. :) You, Greg, DJ and I all need to go golfing.

Believe Cook's Creek was sold and is no longer called by that name

I thought John 'sold' it to other family members...but thought that was a few years ago. According to the website, it is still as is? http://www.cookscreek.com/

I would be interested to learn if someone else bought it.

Gotta love hidden valley. Small 9 hole but usually well kept.

This is a fun municipal par 3 course in Delaware. It has 1 par 4 that is reachable. It's a great way to waste an hour and a half with a few buddies that want to work on their short game. Don't expect much...and bring your own beer in your bag.

Damnit...enough talk about golf. Let’s go play!

-Marc

Yes getting on public courses can be a pain.

I work for Nike Golf as Tech Rep and in my own capacity of club fitting and equipment sales.

I am not a huge fan of Worthington Hills, mainly due to the staff, the head pro is annoying to me, and in general rubs me and many others the wrong way. I have worked demo events there for 3 years, and its always the same so to speak. This isn't to say he may not treat his members in such manner.

The course itself is very nice, well kept, low rounds, and they have a lot of nice member member and member guest events to keep it fun. The greens known to me on the fast side, but again depends on the day. It is a "older" crowd club, and they are trying to turn that image over currently from what I know.

If I had to make a recommendation on private clubs around this area I would consider these three in this order.

Wedgewood - Their rates for junior members and such are MUCH better then any one expects, they have food min's but the club is awesome. The course is fantastic, always in excellent condition. If you want social and golf, go here. Jimmy the head golf pro is a great guy as well, super nice and accommodating.

The Lakes - Very similar to wedgewood, although I personally like wedgewoods course just a little more. Again junior rates are great, and referrals get you a better deal for the first 1-2 years. Social aspect here is excellent as well, and Eddie the head pro is very nice and helpful to all.

Tarten Fields - falls just behind these two for me, great head pro, great kept course, great location, little more expensive though.

(If you're and OSU alum, or a course to consider, Scarlet, IMO and many others the best challenging course in the outer belt. The Nationwide tour plays here. Its and awesome golf course, and club house.)

In my opinion I would stay away from Kinsale/Scioto Reserve...They are the kings of "hidden" fees and not letting you out of your membership after you get annoyed with the club. I like Marc mentioned like Scioto better then Kinsale, they do have PGA qualifiers at Kinsale every year.

My .02, for what its worth, I have a interesting perspective working with and for many of these clubs, which can be different then being a member.

Thanks for your insight i really appreciate it.

Worthington Hills is an older crowd but we actually do not mind it. It fits into our target demographic for our business and we already ahve exsisiting clients that are members there so it would be an easy transition for us to become members. We literally do not have any friends in Columbus (well like 3 lol) :fa: so part of us joining a club would be to make friends and net work for our business. My wife is due in August and neither of us drink but we do like going out to eat so food and beverage min's aren't a problem.

I will look into some of the other clubs you mentioned. Again i appreciate the input.

Be Marc: say he wants to play golf but won't take initiative to play said game. I'm game whenever. I'll take time to see a "partner" or just play on free time. What's a good time Marc?

Early mornings seem to work best for me during the week...unless I am having a slow day and just want to get outside!

Weekends can vary...just depends on the week.

Shall we try to set something up at Golf Club of Dublin in the next week or two?

-Marc

That's completely opposite scheduling but we can make it work I suppose we'll have to see. Would prefer a weekend if we catch the right week. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday next week after normal people work hours ? Edited by Miller

Early mornings seem to work best for me during the week...unless I am having a slow day and just want to get outside!

Weekends can vary...just depends on the week.

Shall we try to set something up at Golf Club of Dublin in the next week or two?

-Marc

Your schedule is wack!! I am down for GCoD whenever you guys set it up.

Your schedule is wack!! I am down for GCoD whenever you guys set it up.

Expect nothing less from Mar"c".

I am open when ever so to speak - foursome? Add a $1-2$ skins to each hole for "fun" with carry overs!

Expect nothing less from Mar"c".

I am open when ever so to speak - foursome? Add a $1-2$ skins to each hole for "fun" with carry overs!

Says the guy with no job...

I can be more available if needed...what times are you idiots thinking? Let me guess Brandon...you probably want handicaps too. :rolleyes::cool:

-Marc

Anyone been to shamrock in powell? If you go during the week in the evening its 22 including cart. Seems small, but fairly priced.

Shamrock is a decent little course...it is actually one of the most played public courses in central Ohio. The main issue with the Rock is that the holes are incredibly close to each other and you will be dodging errant shots most of the day.

If you have never played there I would definitely check it out but in that area, I would stick to Safari.

-MarC

Shamrock is a decent little course...it is actually one of the most played public courses in central Ohio. The main issue with the Rock is that the holes are incredibly close to each other and you will be dodging errant shots most of the day.

If you have never played there I would definitely check it out but in that area, I would stick to Safari.

-MarC

I went to safari range last night. I live right around the corner from there. Course looked awesome from what i saw. Lots of trees.