out of control, or just plain good?

natedogg624

^^^I agree to some extent. It slowed him up way too much and killed time from what I noticed in that 1st video. He wasn't railing around that turn too quick if you ask me. He was fucking around I would think, because if he did it differently he'd be much faster.

Ive posted those vids on here before. He is an old dirt rider and definitely has some skills. From everything I have read and learned, there is no time advantage to sliding it as much as he is doing. He is purposely sliding it as much as he can for the vids. There has been tests done that actually show that spinning the tire coming out of a turn tends to preserve tirelife.. this was an old test so I dont know if it still applies with the newer tires.

excessive sliding to show off doesn't produce fast lap times, but backing the bike in on slower turns like hairpins sets up the bike to point towards corner exit sooner which allows you to get on the throttle sooner.

at least that's how I understand it.

Edited by Kip Drordy

excessive sliding to show off doesn't produce fast lap times, but backing the bike in on slower turns like hairpins sets up the bike to point towards corner exit sooner which allows you to get on the throttle sooner.

Thats correct the idea is to have the bike pointing out of the corner before it really should be, its an old dirt riding trick...hence his ability to do it so effortlessly

Maybe it's just me, but sliding the rear like that - how can that be faster than someone who rides within the limits of the tire? Good, bad, or indifferent - performance and lap time wise, why would sliding be desirable?

The guy was show boating. Great bike control, but not the fastest way around. Good example is the bike with teh camera realed him in when he went sideways. Doing it for the camera...

Sometimes, sliding is fast, but it isn't usually doing the swapping back and forth. Setting up and sliding under control is sometimes seen by guys when deep braking and using the rear to square the turn. They square it up and shoot out. These guys were sliding in and very slow at turn in and seemingly medium paced mid turn. Obviously, wicking the throttle on exit for rear wheel spinning...

Again, GREAT bike control, but wasn't really that fast...

Squaring off the turn is slow in and fast out. Proper line choice of fast in and through will result in faster times. Hence, the reason why you don't see a lot of it anymore by even guys like Yates, McCoy, Nicky, etc. who did it a lot... But, not so much anymore... Still do, but it is a style thing.

The guy in the vid is hamming it up.

that's just a show for the camera. he isn't actually doing it right anyway.

watch real racers..they slide it up to almost the apex on purpose sometimes. not that far out before the corner entrance.

these are much better examples of how it's done...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=690575076

Edited by serpentracer