BMW guys: 03-04 M3 questions

BigOxley

My Dad is looking at 03-04 M3 convertibles. He wants something for the summer. My Mom will probably be driving it the most. His plan is to sell it fairly quickly, once the summer is over. He wants something with less than 50k miles.

Any known issues?

Anything specific to look out for?

The prices for these cars seem fairly cheap. I know convertibles are a dime a dozen, which keep the prices down.

Also, he is 6'04" and 66 years old. Will he be comfortable in it?

Do they really want/need an M? Seems like a lot more expense and possibly headaches when they can get a 3something vert. They would have basically, unless they are really into performance cars, the same car for less money, probably for them better ride quality, more reliable and if somethig breaks possibly cheaper to fix. I know there are exceptions but most people period, especially at 66 are going to find the NVH and ride harness of something like an M3 too much. Keep in mind I'm not a M3 guru, just thinking from a common sense standpoint.

Also, 10 years old, but with 50kmi or less seems like 2 almost mutually exclusive terms. I'd guess you're going to pay through the nose, relative to the market, just to get low miles. I would think this is especially true for a car with a following like the M3. One could probably get a few years newer with a reasonably amount of miles for similar money. Again, just speaking in generalities; would love to hear if there is a specific market situation here which makes these generalities not apply.

Just some numbers for food for thought; keep in mind these are all edmunds prices.

2003 M3 vert ~ 14k. I would guess high teens to 20 for one with that low miles

2003 330ci vert ~ 6k

2009 328i vert ~ 20k

2009 335i vert ~ 22k and it would probably face rape a 2003 m3 under most conditions if they are looking for performance.

Again, I understand the actuall markets might be different, but I think it's a fair apples to apples compairision since all numbers are from the same source.

They do like sportier cars. I think my dad is pretty open to suggestions. He mentioned the 335. I'll try and steer him in that direction. He wants a quick resale. I think his goal price is around 20k. He found an 03 M3 on Cincy CL with 17k miles for $25k. The seller seems willing to negotiate.

Interior is better, drives better, engine pulls better, the nav and idrive is nice, folding hardtop vs canvas, newer body looks better. IMO it justs drives better and is more fun on the streets. I am sure the M3 prob out tracks it but I don't go to the track ever so I could care less about ring and track times.

Interior is better' date=' drives better, engine pulls better, the nav and idrive is nice, folding hardtop vs canvas, newer body looks better. IMO it justs drives better and is more fun on the streets. I am sure the M3 prob out tracks it but I don't go to the track ever so I could care less about ring and track times.[/quote']

Good info. Thanks

The hpfp is the biggest concern with the 335. It is warrantied for 10 years 100k miles do he should be ok. I got mine cpo in 2009 and not had pump failure. The car was in the shop 3 times for warranty work which was fixing a squeak in the hardtop and a rattle I think I was being overly sensitive too. I also had an auto and it is very responsive even though it is just a normal auto. It's way better then smg( I despise that tranny).

I'll preface this by stating my E46 M3 was one of the best cars I've ever owned for my wants and needs in a vehicle.

However I 100% agree with what Brian is saying about E9X 335 series vehicles (except that they're more attractive than E46 :D ). I think 335 vert is the car they will be happiest with.

Only thing going for the E46 at this point is that it's basically at the bottom of it's depreciation curve if he's really really worried about resale. For the most part the early E90 335's are pretty well depreciated at this point as well just not quite in the same market position as the E46 M cars right now.