Thoughts on Sky Redline ?

TTQ B4U

I've been kicking around the idea of selling the MS3 and picking up a fun little Saturn Sky.

Drove a buddies redline yesterday and it was a damn fun ride and I've liked them since the onset. Too bad they are gone.

Thoughts on reliability and being a Saturn and all? Not a fan of the appearance of the solstice really.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trunk is useless, then you put the top down and there is no trunk. The little LNF engine is a great engine that comes to life with a tune, the driveline seems pretty stout at mildly modded levels (not like many people are racing them). There are better handling cars out there, but it's more livable then a Miata for more driver duties. Turbulence with the top down sucks, it's pretty poor unless you want all the wind you can get. Overall decent, although the column is the same as a Cobalt and the same recalls apply.

As mentioned very little extra space. If you are over 6'2" I'd say fitting in it daily would be an annoyance. They look awesome, if they had the same size y Supra does I'd likely consider owning one.

Get an s2000

Had one. Loved it. REVS29K was my plate. Lacks boost though and once you have it, you'll want that or a V8. In a Sky I could do either or both :gabe: I do miss having a top down option and RWD.

Yea I really like the design of the sky. I say go for it... but the practicality of your hatchback will be gone!

I'm close....the hatch...nice and the ability to put the wife and kids in it does make the MS3 nice because it offers a replacement should Satin's Chariot, our Minivan is out of service or what not. That's about the strongest opposition I have to something like the Sky.

The other option is completely upgrading the suspension of the MS3 and making it more fun handling wise. Handles okay but still way to floaty and doesn't settle anywhere near what it should. Point it and it will go though. Won't satisfy drop-top love or lust for RWD but it would be cheaper and perhaps invoke a couple more years of interest.

FWD with the power is still an issue but one I may have to live with for now. Currently, I just live with the fact that the first two gears are useless. Perhaps after a suspension upgrade I'd put the downpipe and new Fuel Pump to kick up the potential a bit more and make the bottom end of 3rd useless too :no:

As mentioned very little extra space. If you are over 6'2" I'd say fitting in it daily would be an annoyance. They look awesome, if they had the same size y Supra does I'd likely consider owning one.

You ever met chad (start master) hes well into the 6 feet area and he daily drives his fine.

They are fun cars, and dont belive scott on the wind he just doesnt like to get his perm from the salon messd up. Its just as normal as any other car I feel. Drove chads in the winter from easton to newark top down and was near no wind.

Ide say go for it if your worried about kids u have the urban assult mini van and your company car if neeeed be. Might as well have a fun car.

Also off topic for the money on a sky redline, couldnt u be in a c5c5z for the same price? More car for the money.

Also off topic for the money on a sky redline, couldnt u be in a c5c5z for the same price? More car for the money.

I follow the train of though but the drop top Sky fits more what I'm looking for now. Now if the Heavens opened up and out fell a nice C6 convertible for the same price I'd likely have a follow up post including pics :p

Apart from the sheet metal, everything in it is GM parts-bin stuff, so don't let "it's a Saturn" stop you.

The little plastic cars in the 90's were Saturns. This isn't one of them. There hasn't really been an actual SATURN built since 2002.

And I would totally rock a Sky redline.

Love the look of the Sky, there are only half as many Sky's as Solstice's, and the Redline fixed a lot of the issues of the base cars. They have a lot of potential too, as the engine accepts mods well. Not sure what price they are going for now, but it could be a fun car. There can be a bit of wind in the cabin at speed with the top down, but it's a convertible.

If I had the money I would buy a Solstice Coupe, but I'm sure the Sky is about half the price.

Absolute junk. Do not buy one. Development time of just a year and the team was so proud of that, a big no-no in automotive world. Ergonomic is shit; door sill & dashboard are too tall, instrument cluster & steering wheel placement is shit, cabin is narrow & small, placement of shifter is uncomfortable, and then add GM fuckups into it including the ignition switch/tumbler recall. Chassis was built like a C5-C7 but the chassis flexes really bad and since it uses steel body panels and floor, it's heavy for a car its size.

The direct injection is loud, turbo lag is always there, and it comes with an Aisin-built five-speed manual while the rest of the world got six-speed. This is the same transmission found and used in compact pick-up trucks. The differential assy is the same one used in first generation Cadillac CTS and the fact that it's been discontinued for several years now, parts have become scarce, especially crash parts. Dont damage the "lower fenders", those, I heard, are no longer available. Watch out for the cables to open the trunk, they are famous for breaking and leaving the trunk lid stuck. On mine, some welds in the driver seat broke and the bottom part was replaced under warranty, but it's now showing the same symptoms. I have a feeling this time around I wouldn't be as lucky.

Being a relatively low-production car, the aftermarket support is scarce. There are a few places that do V8 conversion, but by then, a Corvette would make a whole lot better sense. Wheels use ultra stupid, rarely-used PCD (5x110) and have very high offset; finding aftermarket wheels that fit is borderline a nightmare unless they are custom-made wheels such as CCW and HRE. For my car, the wheels had to have custom work done, so one PCD set was redrilled to 5x110 and steel seat inserts were pressed in. Fender well space is small, anything past 265-mm wide tire is a fight between clearance and aesthetic.

Find something else.

You ever met chad (start master) hes well into the 6 feet area and he daily drives his fine.

They are fun cars, and dont belive scott on the wind he just doesnt like to get his perm from the salon messd up. Its just as normal as any other car I feel. Drove chads in the winter from easton to newark top down and was near no wind.

Ide say go for it if your worried about kids u have the urban assult mini van and your company car if neeeed be. Might as well have a fun car.

You can ask Chad the wind is much different with the top down in his Soltice as it is my Miata. The seat is back as far as it will go and a little upright for Chad, if he was any taller it wouldn't work, and he's 6' 1". I'd say go for it, my first post was only to point out any negatives I could think of.

And Paul, I drove with the T-tops out yesterday and the top down today, kiss my ass.

Had one and enjoyed it. You shouldn't do anything to it but a tune. Other than that, very fun cars. Handle better than most and can fly around.

Yes they are not vettes. They also don't have the vette price tag.

As far as reliability, I changed oil in my sky and put tires on it. That was the extent of maintenance it required in my 45k miles of ownership

I nodded mine but it's all a waste past a tune. You really have to get nutty past 350 who to get power. But it is a very well balanced car and drives nice.

Mods I would do if I did it again? Backbone and probeam from ddmworks plus a tune.. Hpt or similar.

:lol:

I had no idea that was you. We had some impromptu...spirited accelerations...back in the day on Sawmill and on 270.

-Marc

:p

Makes me wonder who has that plate now. I know it's taken as I've searched a couple times online when re-registering my plates.