Carry a gun

RedRocket1647545505

That's my advice to you.

My reasoning:

-I've been working in Grant's ICU for a little while now and have seen and taken care of a fair amount of GSWs so far. In fact, I had one just this morning. Poor kid was working at a pizza joint and got held up. He did everything right according to the antis; gave them all the money, got down on the ground when asked too, followed their every command, and they still shot his ass. Twice. Poor kid will have issues for life now because of it. And this isn't the first one that I've seen with similar circumstances. And like I said, I haven't even been at Grant that long.

Case in point, it doesn't always pay to just do what they tell you to do because there's a good possibility you're getting shot regardless. Minus whale go down blazing.

I'm guessing these are the news stories of what happened:

One Person Shot At East Columbus Pizza Shop

Worker Shot During Robbery At Tommy's Pizza

Ha I've been saying for years that this joint is just some kind of money laundering cover. I love their subs but damn EVERY time I've ordered something from that place the guys behind the counter seem pissed that someone is actually making them cook some pizza. lol

You realize you can be in a great neighborhood and have the same thing happen?

^Yup.

Thieves may be stupid, but they know that a lot of people have this mentality. The "nicer" neighborhoods have really nice stuff in them, and people that feel secure and don't carry most of the time.

Easy Targets.

^Yup.

Thieves may be stupid, but they know that a lot of people have this mentality. The "nicer" neighborhoods have really nice stuff in them, and people that feel secure and don't carry most of the time.

Easy Targets.

VERY true. For proof, go here: https://www.crimereports.com/

Ignoring the giant pile of sex offenders everywhere (except in my zip code FTW) you might be surprised to see how little crime is showing up in Whitehall, and how much is showing up in Powell. It's rather surprising.

Don't just carry a gun, get further training. So many people think 12 hours and some range time makes them Rambo. Static paper targets don't stand a chance.

Talk to Joe and see what he recommends (or others around C-bus. I also like Aaron Jannetti, Rob Pincus, and Rob McKeeman).

Yeah, carry anytime you can and protect yourself. On friday 5-2 we had a scary moment at our house out in the sticks. We got to bed early to rest up before heading to the beach early the next morning, but at about 23:15 our security alarm goes off screaming.

Our girls happened to be sleeping in our room and stay completely out during the whole thing. Alarm company calls within a few seconds so my wife talks to them while I am out of bed kneeling, using a large dresser for cover as I cover the door with my .45 and throw my wife an AR15. We turned off the alarm sound from our room so I can hear if anyones actually there and wife checked the window to see if any cars are outside.

Once some time passed I moved to our stair area where I have a good position and continue waiting and moving, to check the house. I know thats not the best idea, but police are 20minutes in a perfect situation from coming over and I do drills at my house constantly and have thought it through as good as its gonna get for a non pro.

It ended up being a non event, a sensor faulted (first time its happend in 3 years).

I was very happy with how things went, but am for sure going to have to get my wife more practice for these situations. The girls are very young, but they will get instructions in the next few years as well.

Be safe guys.

Train at the level you feel comfortable committing to. More than likely, whatever scenario you have in your head for when you need a gun, likely won't be the one you do need one for. You don't get to pick when someone wants you to be their victim, and how. So be open minded. Train with anything you think might be helpful. Even if it's the broom. As for guns; if that's your go to choice to defend with, have the right tool or tool's for the job and know how to be effective with it. Like Randy said, a 12hr class does not make you awesome. Training time, and a little bit of luck, is what's needed to better your odds in any situation.

Once some time passed I moved to our stair area where I have a good position and continue waiting and moving, to check the house. I know thats not the best idea, but police are 20minutes in a perfect situation from coming over and I do drills at my house constantly and have thought it through as good as its gonna get for a non pro.

Glad you've worked this out and even more glad it was a false alarm, but moving out is rarely "as good as it's gonna get", ESPECIALLY for a non-pro.

I'm not an expert by any means, and I won't claim to be, but in the advanced pistol training I have taken and the house/building clearing training I have had I learned a lot of what not to do. That's one of them. If the wife and kids are all with ya, stay put. Watch the door. Make sure they're safe and below/out of firing lanes.

Just my thoughts though.

Train at the level you feel comfortable committing to. More than likely, whatever scenario you have in your head for when you need a gun, likely won't be the one you do need one for. You don't get to pick when someone wants you to be their victim, and how. So be open minded. Train with anything you think might be helpful. Even if it's the broom. As for guns; if that's your go to choice to defend with, have the right tool or tool's for the job and know how to be effective with it. Like Randy said, a 12hr class does not make you awesome. Training time, and a little bit of luck, is what's needed to better your odds in any situation.

This. In Krav we often work with "weapons of convenience" (nearly anything can be used) and when we work on disarming (pistol, long gun, knife, stick) we learn that those are in fact tools.

Glad you've worked this out and even more glad it was a false alarm, but moving out is rarely "as good as it's gonna get", ESPECIALLY for a non-pro.

I'm not an expert by any means, and I won't claim to be, but in the advanced pistol training I have taken and the house/building clearing training I have had I learned a lot of what not to do. That's one of them. If the wife and kids are all with ya, stay put. Watch the door. Make sure they're safe and below/out of firing lanes.

Just my thoughts though.

I know what you mean and have read it a million times on forums. I feel thats something every man's gonna have to decide for himself when he's in that position.

I know what you mean and have read it a million times on forums. I feel thats something every man's gonna have to decide for himself when he's in that position.

Or he could get some training. :gabe:

I'm just glad, as I said, it was a false alarm.