Off To The Caribbean Tomorrow...

Wease

Back in December I bought a Living Social deal for a week stay at the Mayan Princess in Roatan, which is one of the bay islands of Honduras. Got a pretty good deal on it, all inclusive (food and alcohol), and surprised my wife with the trip on Valentine's Day. I even made her work to figure it out, leaving clues all week with the final one on the 14th. Once she figured it out, I showed her the voucher and where we were going. :D

Here's a pic of the beach I'm gonna be at. I plan on spending most days snorkeling that reef looking for sharks and other cool shit:

10264261_10203823743303592_4207592375312335767_o.jpg

I also booked two activities while we're there. First we're going on a boat trip around the island, where they will also drop us off at three different places to snorkel, the last of which is a small deserted island out in the middle of nowhere. We also get lunch on that island; lobster, steak, etc. It's all you can eat and drink too! :)

And later on that week, we're doing a dolphin encounter, where you get to swim with them and stuff. I'm pretty sure one of them will try to rape me. Or my wife. Or both of us. ;)

So the week of all inclusive, plus airfare was $2755. Not too bad. Add in spending money, the activities, etc. and it's still a really decent price on a week vacation down in the Caribbean... :cool:

Enjoy, man! Great place to SCUBA as well. Not a long flight either.

I'm flying into Miami (2.5 hours), then just barely over 2 hours to Roatan. Not bad at all. If I had more time, I would have gotten SCUBA certified before I left, but work / kids / life just didn't really leave me much time.

Have you been before? :confused:

I'm laying by the pool right now in Cancun at one of the top all inclusive resorts, you'll love it. She's reading her kindle (it's our honeymoon) and we are both just chilling.

Seriously, it's paradise. I know you're going to a different country, but the all inclusive paradise thing is amazing. Have fun man, we went and saw the Mayan ruins yesterday and snorkeled with sea turtles and sting rays.

Awesome, man. Sounds like fun. Definitely let us know how it all went when you get back as we're always keeping an eye out for a good vacation deal.

Well they are actually running the same deal here, right now, for the next 11 days. So I'll report back mid week or so and let everyone know how it's been... :nod:

Have you been before? :confused:

My wife got SCUBA-certified (open water) in Roatan...has been there a few times. Unfortunately, the two trips I made to Honduras were to San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa for medical missions trips. :lol: SLIGHTLY different Honduran experience than you're going to get!

If you like those deals sign up for the travelzoo top 20 email. My fiancee and I went to Jamaica last october, 7 nights, direct flight from cinci, all inclusive food/drink. $700 per person. Just can't beat it.

Have Fun!

Looks like a great time, as the 90s will remind us Wear Sunscreen! Some of the snorkling down there can be absolutely awesome and you can entertain yourself for days just staying near the beaches.

The all inclusive is pretty much the only way to go to anything in that area of the world, wouldn't do it any other way. Only thing that can be a bit annoying is if the resort is super crowded and you are tripping over people at the beach.

Nice thing is with it being an island and not mainland Honduras you shouldn't be battling locals much.

So I got back Saturday after spending a week there and had a fantastic time. Roatan is part of Honduras, but it's not nearly as "poor" as the mainland. We stayed in the resort area of West Bay, where there's only about 7 resorts on a mile or so of beach. This is really the only decent beach area on the whole island, but it and the reef in front of it were amazing. For those who don't know, the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world is right out in front of this island and stretches out towards Belize and up to Cancun. I've been snorkeling in Aruba, Hawaii, and the Keys, and this is by far the best I've ever seen. Saw turtles, grouper, two kinds of sting rays, and piles of other cool stuff. The only thing I didn't see were any sharks, but it wasn't for a lack of looking. :D

The resort itself was really nice. According to many people we talked to on the beach, one of the best out of the bunch. The food was decent, nothing crazy, and all you can drink was really nice. I'm not even a big drinker, but I drank a lot last week. :) It was paid for, so I took advantage. The beach and the little town north of us (West End) were very safe. My wife ran on the beach every morning and never had issues. It was also super quiet and not busy at all. The only busy day was Wednesday, when a Carnival Cruise ship came in. The beach was packed that day from about 9:00 - 2:00. Then it cleared out really quick. You sure can tell the cruise people: Fat, sunburned Americans. :lol: I guess during the busy season (Winter, Spring Break, etc.) there are cruise ships every day and the beach is pretty busy. So if you go, go during Summer / Fall when it's really quiet.

I'll post more pics later, but this was a hell of a deal for the money we spent. We plan on going back in about 2-3 years and taking our kids... :nod: