Opinions on the GM 4.3 V6

HotCarl

So I'm looking at trucks and I found one that I like but it only has a 4.3 V6. Has anyone had any experience with these in other vehicles or in trucks? Would it be a total turd in a full size pickup? The truck is a 2011 GMC Sierra WT standard cab, 8ft bed, 4x4. While I'm assuming it would be better in gas (which is a plus) I'm a bit apprehensive the truck would be a slug. Thanks fellas.

The 4.3 is better then a 4.8, yes seriously better mileage and about the same capability. For something to drive it's not even the slightest bit fast but it gets around okay. I had a 2010 with 4.3, and decided that a boring ass truck was better traded in on a Miata. It pulled the camaro a few times, and it did it but barely. I wouldn't buy anything smaller then a 5.3 in those trucks.

Now the 2014 4.3 has yet to be seen, but it drives like the last gen V8. We'll have to see how it does when someone tows with it.

Estimated MPGs same with 4.3L and 4.8L. Link.

Lets just say in the real world, people who bought 4.8 trucks have bitched many times about their trucks not getting what its "supposed to". The 4.3 trucks live up to their estimates. If someone just wants a driver and wants to haul the random thing home from Lowes a 4.3 is perfect, but try to haul stuff very far or tow some real weight then 5.3 all day.

Dont bother. I a couple of the work vans i drive have them, there ok, but dont ever put your self in a situation where you need out of the way quick, cause your fucked if you do lol. Its nothing more than an old gen 1 sbc 350 with 2 cylinders missing.

Now like scott said, the 14's are awesome. Its now based on the gen 5 lt motor with direct injection and such. Make 285/320 i believe. Havent seen one tow, but they deffinately move out alright

My dad's 2005 Silverado Ext cab 2wd has a LR4 4.8L

It does OKAY pushing around a 6000lb+ truck.

doesn't have much "oumph" and probably wouldn't do to good towing.

Great for driving around town and light loads in the bed.

He also had a 2001 Silverado ext cab 2wd a while back with a LM7 5.3L

It pulled a 1980 trans am on an open trailer fine and even pulled a decent size enclosed trailer pretty well.

I personally would not touch anything with a Pre-2014 4.3L