Dear god GM

Geeesammy

What is going on?

I know all manufacturers have issues, so before the butthurt enters this thread, beware I will swear by GM day and night, but this is getting insane. Every week it seems I hear some new recall.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/billkoenig/2014/06/16/general-motors-recalls-another-3-16-million-vehicles-boosts-quarter-recall-tab-to-700-million/

Watch the news/read the paper.

This all Started with the ignition cylinder debacle, and has "snowballed" (if you want to call it that) from there.

Honest to god I think it is a good Business move for GM: SHOW CUSTOMERS YOU STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT(S).

I'LL NEVER BUY A FORD AFTER ALL THE BULLSHIT WARRANTY ISSUES THEY'VE BEEN THROUGH....NEVER.

There was a thread not to long ago about Honda replacing Engine blocks on random cars that had well exceeded their warranty period (in terms of Millieage/Age). IMO that was a pure PR-Move aimed at generating brand loyalty. Looks like GM is following suit.

Watch the news/read the paper.

This all Started with the ignition cylinder debacle, and has "snowballed" (if you want to call it that) from there.

Honest to god I think it is a good Business move for GM: SHOW CUSTOMERS YOU STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT(S).

I'LL NEVER BUY A FORD AFTER ALL THE BULLSHIT WARRANTY ISSUES THEY'VE BEEN THROUGH....NEVER.

There was a thread not to long ago about Honda replacing Engine blocks on random cars that had well exceeded their warranty period (in terms of Millieage/Age). IMO that was a pure PR-Move aimed at generating brand loyalty. Looks like GM is following suit.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Every car company has problems with their product that SHOULD be a massive recall, however, they don't want it to turn into this big deal.

I mean, could you imagine all the facebook posts and memes if Honda's junk transmission issue was put out there, all the Ford transmission issues, or euro car electrical problems :gabe:

After my wife's time at BMW and my friends that are techs I learned more than I care to think about how different parts of the industry work.

GM.....keeping techs everywhere employed....

I certainly can't argue that. After playing with a multitude of ignition switches I have to agree that they are junk, almost all of the older ones take little to no effort to fall out of run. Most of the newer ones like my wife's 2009 Cobalt works as it should but they are recalling them anyway. The rest of their recalls are mostly inspections and simple stuff, but it's become the majority of my day.

GM.....keeping techs everywhere employed....

The dealerships are going to make record profits this year.

my 2 cents: The debacle that caused the original recall has put everyone on edge about safety defects and you will continue to see recalls for things that might seem small, and that previously would have only been a TSB.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Every car company has problems with their product that SHOULD be a massive recall, however, they don't want it to turn into this big deal.

I mean, could you imagine all the facebook posts and memes if Honda's junk transmission issue was put out there, all the Ford transmission issues, or euro car electrical problems :gabe:

After my wife's time at BMW and my friends that are techs I learned more than I care to think about how different parts of the industry work.

Agreed, but GM needs to spin some positive PR out of this, and quick. Every news article presents these in a negative light, and Jo Schmo 'round the corner doesn't possess the mental capacity to understand why the recalls are happening, he just hears recall and associates it with a faulty vehicle.

Agreed, but GM needs to spin some positive PR out of this, and quick. Every news article presents these in a negative light, and Jo Schmo 'round the corner doesn't possess the mental capacity to understand why the recalls are happening, he just hears recall and associates it with a faulty vehicle.

Well that's a big problem with this country in general, the lack of ability to use logic outside of what Facebook/Twitter/News tells them.

When you have people getting their news from Reddit, Facebook, or the Daily Show and basing their life on it things will not end well...

crazy bit about the cobalt ignition recall...

In 2006, engineers at GM supplier Delphi develop a repair for ignition problems, and GM signs off. But a part number is not changed, considered a "cardinal sin" in the engineering world. That decision may have prevented GM from finding the source of the ignition problem for years.

Are there any Truck recalls for ignition issues?

Not as of today, but the trucks use different parts all together. The 2014-15 trucks have 3-4 reprogramming recalls, a power slider recall, and a transmission cooler line inspection recall.

and while we're on the topic, the Cruze has a vacuum switch recall for turbo models, and a half shaft inspection/replacement. The Traverse/Acadia has side airbag connector recall, water pump shaft leak recall (usually doesn't amount to more then an inspection), and a new seat belt tensioner recall that we can't get parts for. They also just reissued the Cobalt/G5 power stering recall and it will now include the HHR, this will also turn a previous GM special policy on the Malibu/G6 into a recall for the steering column and/or power steering motors.

Not as of today, but the trucks use different parts all together. The 2014-15 trucks have 3-4 reprogramming recalls, a power slider recall, and a transmission cooler line inspection recall.

and while we're on the topic, the Cruze has a vacuum switch recall for turbo models, and a half shaft inspection/replacement. The Traverse/Acadia has side airbag connector recall, water pump shaft leak recall (usually doesn't amount to more then an inspection), and a new seat belt tensioner recall that we can't get parts for. They also just reissued the Cobalt/G5 power stering recall and it will now include the HHR, this will also turn a previous GM special policy on the Malibu/G6 into a recall for the steering column and/or power steering motors.

I havent seen any ignition recalls for the trucks. Just all of the above...

The gf is still being told they are "waiting on parts" for her 07 cobalt ignition repair.... She first called to schedule the repair in April.

I have some ordered back around then waiting for parts also. They have been coming in slowly.

The gf is still being told they are "waiting on parts" for her 07 cobalt ignition repair.... She first called to schedule the repair in April.

Perfectly normal, unfortunatly. Our key machine gave up last week (it was old and getting its workout with these recalls) so we haven't been able to do any recalls since thursday, shitty.

I've been having ignition issues with my Corvette.. Was really hoping it would be included in this.

C5s have had stupid issues caused by the wire around the key cylinder, and of course the infamous column lock. I've had a few that had to have the column lock recall redone because the relay goes bad.

Same here with the company-owned HHR that I drive.