Radon

GilbWs6

In contract on a new house and upon having the inspection done, found out it has a very high radon level. 4 pci/l is the cutoff for "safe". This house tested at 28. Mitigation systems are supposed to be very effective if installed properly. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've done a lot of reading online so I'm informed but wouldn't consider myself an expert and definitely don't have any first hand experience.

In contract on a new house and upon having the inspection done, found out it has a very high radon level. 4 pci/l is the cutoff for "safe". This house tested at 28. Mitigation systems are supposed to be very effective if installed properly. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've done a lot of reading online so I'm informed but wouldn't consider myself an expert and definitely don't have any first hand experience.

same thing with our new place...we used Bill at Radon be gone and his price was reasonable, eventhough the sellers paid for it not me.

same thing with our new place...we used Bill at Radon be gone and his price was reasonable, eventhough the sellers paid for it not me.

IF we move forward, that's the company we planned on using (great Angie's list reviews and highly recommended by the company that did the test along with one other vendor). What were your test results? Did you have it tested after the mitigation system was put in? I wouldn't be able to live with myself if my one of my kids ends up with leukemia or lung cancer. We love the house, the neighborhood and none of the neighbors have even tested for it as most of them built their homes. These aren't cheap houses either. Ours will be on the low end at $315,000. There were other issues discovered but the other things can be fixed with money.

Radon is the biggest fucking scam going on right now. Nothing pisses me off more than these fucks coming in and selling people $50 worth of pipes and a fan and charging them $1200+. Do not buy anything for your house for radon

THIS.

+100 on scam. That shit is so dumb. You have survived this long without radon systems where you lived right? Your parents and so on? Radon didn't just now appear around people. Save your damn money. I go into so many people's houses that have one of these systems and a sealed sump pump to seal the system air tight, only to find a sump pump pit on the other side of the house that isn't sealed and rendering the system useless.

IF we move forward, that's the company we planned on using (great Angie's list reviews and highly recommended by the company that did the test along with one other vendor). What were your test results? Did you have it tested after the mitigation system was put in? I wouldn't be able to live with myself if my one of my kids ends up with leukemia or lung cancer. We love the house, the neighborhood and none of the neighbors have even tested for it as most of them built their homes. These aren't cheap houses either. Ours will be on the low end at $315,000. There were other issues discovered but the other things can be fixed with money.

yes tested after and results were under 1.0..

funny thing about all the haters in here, is that our seller tried to have a neighbor plumber do it with 3" pipe and the level still tested over 20 from in the 40's. So since the sellers tried to cheap out they wasted money because they ended up paying for it to be redone.

secondly if anyone in here reads the epa rules.. a radon mitigation system can only be installed by a licensed mitigation system installer because they're then held liable for results, now and in 5 years

Heres a video on how it should be done for you "shove a 3" pipe in it people"

i had a gravel crawlspace that they covered in 10mm plastic and sealed 12" up the wall, they sealed every seam around the basement floor, every crack in the floor, sealed off the sump pump hole and then put 4" pipe from under the crawlspace area to down into the basement floor and then piped it out on the opposite side of the basement after digging a open reservoir in the gravel and taking out a couple 5 gallon buckets of gravel under it

This isn't a pissing match as to whether it's a real situation or not. My opinion is that it needs dealt with. Whether that's the right opinion to have or not isn't what's at debate. I could be dead wrong. Im not willing to risk my family's health if I can get the seller to pay for it or even by spending some of my own money. I'm really just looking to see whether anyone has had issues with it post mitigation. The haters can go play in the kitchen. Thanks.

It has definitely become more popular in the past 3 years. I have not done a purchase loan this year that didn't either need mitigation or the seller had installed a new system just before listing their home.

Scam or not, it is quickly becoming the norm.

Andy, hit me up if you would like a free opinion on your financing options. I have some great pricing today coupled with very low costs :).

-Marc

It has definitely become more popular in the past 3 years. I have not done a purchase loan this year that didn't either need mitigation or the seller had installed a new system just before listing their home.

Andy, hit me up if you would like a free opinion on your financing options. I have some great pricing today coupled with very low costs :).

-Marc

I think I might be the first. Maybe I made a McSteak by not having it tested.

-Marc

Thanks for the offer. I actually deal with Jason Smith at Union Savings and my current mortgage is with you guys as well. I find it shocking that the numbers are that high.