Looking to Buy: need advice: Trucks.

rage1187

First off, ive not been off to a good start on threads. my apologies. But i sincerely ask that you at least read half of this before bashing me.

Let me start this one off a little different and be a little more serious. Im sure someone out there can dig a little deeper in there hearts.

I had lost a good friend of mine. Well a couple of days ago my best friend moved away. I dont know why but i just cant get myself together right now. Everything that i had planned i changed, so i was hoping someone could help me out or give me advice or something. I had wanted another subaru after i had sold my legacy gt to get back into the subie world. After months searching for a STi, my buddy moves, and everything comes to a screeching halt. Now im looking for a used diesel so i can in the future get a motorcycle trailer, and maybe a camper and travel a little. I dont want a gas truck. I am pretty open to just about anything but i am really looking for an automatic and 4wd. full 4 doors or half doors is ok, im open to both. A black truck is a plus. Something that wouldnt hurt me payment wise that would limit me traveling. i dont make a whole lot. ill be honest. I know that is going to be hard to do with a diesel, but its not impossible. I can trade my traiblazer in if need be. its paid for.

i dont care if its a ford/dodge/chevy. I am just looking for reliability. I know sometimes that is far few and in between. But i also know there are good years and bad years etc... 4 door would be nice/ and i would also prefer a short bed. i do not want a long bed. i will say again. i do NOT want a long bed. I believe my credit is pretty good. i hate to put too much personal info in an open thread, but its pushing 700. like i said. not the best, but considering my past, ive made a hell of comeback. With the trailblazer that is an 02 with 148K and i also have about 35-4K as a down payment. i would think i could get into something decent. i live in southern ohio, and dont mind traveling up to columbus for a decent deal, but would have to be on a weekend if i did due to my work schedule. I hope i covered everything. if i didnt ask and i will answer to try to help you help me. Good friends are hard to find. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

shawn.

Edited by rage1187

If your gonna actually use the truck for what it is get a long bed. I know you said you didn't want one but when you're loading shit in your short bed that overhangs or the tailgate won't shut you'll wish you had a longbed. Had two shortbed trucks hated hauling anything in either.

If your gonna actually use the truck for what it is get a long bed. I know you said you didn't want one but when you're loading shit in your short bed that overhangs or the tailgate won't shut you'll wish you had a longbed. Had two shortbed trucks hated hauling anything in either.

thats just it, we dont have alot. two suit cases and its over with. They all went on vacation two weeks ago and everything fit in the trunk of the Malibu. That and my garage is a 24x32. So if i have to work on it, that long thing will not fit in there. I dont even know if a short bed would fit with a king cab. i dont know.

I figured income tax time, i would pick up a enclosed motorcycle trailer. although i seen on here a guy was selling a nice enclosed one. but i would rather get a truck first before i would commit to buying a trailer. then i could always put small things inside the trailer as well if need be. so it would be a win/win. thats why i was thinking short bed.

Something like this?

http://www.jetautogroup.com/2011_Ford_F-250%20Super%20Duty_Cambridge_OH_228750619.veh

Whatever you decide on, give Jordan at Jet Auto a call and he will locate the exact vehicle you are looking for. He's been a member here for a while and last year opened up his own lot. He's now a site sponsor and he's great to work with. He's sourced vehicles for a lot of CR people. The area he is in, they always have a steady flow of nice trucks on the lot.

740-255-5784

You cant go wrong with a cummings. I too was looking for diesels for a while and did a lot of research. The newer fords diesels unless used for long distance hauling are not good everyday, short distance driver. Didn't hear much about the allison.

Good luck with your search

mace

Whatever you decide on, give Jordan at Jet Auto a call and he will locate the exact vehicle you are looking for. He's been a member here for a while and last year opened up his own lot. He's now a site sponsor and he's great to work with. He's sourced vehicles for a lot of CR people. The area he is in, they always have a steady flow of nice trucks on the lot.

740-255-5784

x2 Jordan's da man.

Also, there would be pros and cons to buying a trailer like mine. It's very light and you'd never know you were pulling a trailer behind any truck. However, for the same money you can find a used box style enclosed trailer that you can walk around in. Some even have small camp trailer features built-in like a bench/bunk, cabinets, lighting. If you're on the road camping or living out of your vehicle, my trailer is way too small unless you also put a camper, or at least a cap on your truck bed and used it for sleeping. My two cents' worth.

thats just it, we dont have alot. two suit cases and its over with. They all went on vacation two weeks ago and everything fit in the trunk of the Malibu. That and my garage is a 24x32. So if i have to work on it, that long thing will not fit in there. I dont even know if a short bed would fit with a king cab. i dont know.

I figured income tax time, i would pick up a enclosed motorcycle trailer. although i seen on here a guy was selling a nice enclosed one. but i would rather get a truck first before i would commit to buying a trailer. then i could always put small things inside the trailer as well if need be. so it would be a win/win. thats why i was thinking short bed.

Is there other reasons that you want or need a truck bed? Just thinking a diesel Excursion could also be a consideration. I have an 05 CCSB Duramax and love the truck even after putting 90K on the truck which now has 170K. I agree with Josh and the only thing I wish was that it was a long bed.

Is there other reasons that you want or need a truck bed? Just thinking a diesel Excursion could also be a consideration. I have an 05 CCSB Duramax and love the truck even after putting 90K on the truck which now has 170K. I agree with Josh and the only thing I wish was that it was a long bed.

it might be, i really dont know. i was just trying to think along the lines of pulling it into my garage. i know a long bed wont fit. i dont have alot of room for maneuverability once i get into my driveway.

I'm not a nut hugger to any brand truck, and could careless which one I own. I was in the same shoes, wanted a diesel to tow with and didn't know much. After a lot of reading I came to the conclusion a duramax would be my best bet for all around reliability.

I have a LLY duramax dually, I bought it a little over a year ago with 100k miles, it now has 132k miles. It gets regular oil changes, and fuel filters. Just had the trans fluid swapped. No issues out of the truck, other than a pulley and belt. It's a huge dually and gets 22mpg highway if I stay within 5 mph above the speed limit. Great trucks

Cummins motor is good, but everything else sucks. Suspension, transmission..

oh and if youre only looking at diesels be careful of the 200-2004/5 duramax diesels, apparently they had some injector issues, which costs upwards of $5000 to get fixed, out of warranty of course.

Have no idea why swapping out injectors would be so expensive but thats just what Ive read.

oh and if youre only looking at diesels be careful of the 200-2004/5 duramax diesels, apparently they had some injector issues, which costs upwards of $5000 to get fixed, out of warranty of course.

Have no idea why swapping out injectors would be so expensive but thats just what Ive read.

04.5 duramax is fine, it's the lly

yeah, i talked with a buddy and im aware of the LLY, so im wanting to stay with an 4.5-05 above duramax if i go with chevy.

and ford im wanting to stay away from the 6.0 and 6.4L. if i can get into an older 7.3 ( pre 2000 or even 2000+ with lower mileage ) ill do it.

really wanting a duramax 05+ or a 05-08 cummins diesel. 4 door or extended cab. Short bed preferably. No white an no red. would like to stay below 130K on the odo for a used one if all possible, and i dont know about cost. still up in the air. im playing this by ear.

Lb7's are not bad motors at all. The injector issues aren't what people make them out to be. In the end I think duramax's are too expensive to maintain, more parts too go wrong, and a pain to work on. I prefer my Cummins engines. The race truck has 212k mikes on it and I just looked at the cylinders and they look new. The daily truck has 278k miles and is just now having one injector with return issues. Both trucks have had regular maintenance and very little work past that. The only real expenses were a replacement injection pump on the race truck before going mechanical, front end on the daily, and built transmissions in each.

Lb7's are not bad motors at all. The injector issues aren't what people make them out to be. In the end I think duramax's are too expensive to maintain, more parts too go wrong, and a pain to work on. I prefer my Cummins engines. The race truck has 212k mikes on it and I just looked at the cylinders and they look new. The daily truck has 278k miles and is just now having one injector with return issues. Both trucks have had regular maintenance and very little work past that. The only real expenses were a replacement injection pump on the race truck before going mechanical, front end on the daily, and built transmissions in each.

i wont argue with you one bit on that. only thing about the dodge is, very little comes up in a search like auto trader etc... no short bed mega cabs etc...

http://www.libertytrucks.com/

For that budget you have plenty of options. Autotrader won't find shit when it comes to these trucks. EBay can be you friend. I am a big fan of going to Texas and buying. It is much cheaper there. I went a picked up my wake boat there and the car company out of baltimore picked up my 05 Ram from there.

If you're looking for a good "value" Dodge, the mega cab may not be your best bet. They are awesome inside but they seem to pull a lot more money than the quad cabs. There were also a lot fewer of them made.

I don't have a whole lot more to add, other than to dispute Dodge trans and front ends being junk. I've had very good luck with Dodge cummins trucks (dad's had 2 and I've got one myself).