Looking to Buy: need advice: Trucks.

rage1187

ive went and looked at a couple LLy's. Big waste of time. for the price they wanted, they needed too much done. cab corners were rusted, etc... not looking for project trucks.

Go south

and ford im wanting to stay away from the 6.0 and 6.4L. if i can get into an older 7.3 ( pre 2000 or even 2000+ with lower mileage ) ill do it.

The 6.0 really isn't a bad motor. It just needs some preventive maint issues taken care of to be a solid diesel. I was very leary to even look at 6.0's when I was looking at diesels, but I started reading forums and watching youtube vids and decided the issues could easily be delt with and I could do them myself. I've been problem free with my 04 6.0, I've towed/hauled a bunch of stuff and driven it all over the place. I've really came to like it.

Though a 7.3 is at the top of most any diesel put in a truck, its why they are holding their value better than any diesel out there for its age and they go quick when a nice one comes up forsale. Be prepared for a nice "lower mileage" 7.3 to be in the high teens to low 20K price range.

If your looking at a truck older than 5 yrs go south or west, those trucks are so damn clean underneath, just not too close to the coast!

went and looked at an 09 cummins. i think from now on, all negotiations will be done over the phone. not so worried about gas as i am my time. drove an hour and a half only to have a 1k knocked off the price. whoopie. i think i need either a private seller or another strategy. making a purchase never use to be this damn complicated.

The 6.0 really isn't a bad motor. It just needs some preventive maint issues taken care of to be a solid diesel. I was very leary to even look at 6.0's when I was looking at diesels, but I started reading forums and watching youtube vids and decided the issues could easily be delt with and I could do them myself. I've been problem free with my 04 6.0, I've towed/hauled a bunch of stuff and driven it all over the place. I've really came to like it.

Though a 7.3 is at the top of most any diesel put in a truck, its why they are holding their value better than any diesel out there for its age and they go quick when a nice one comes up forsale. Be prepared for a nice "lower mileage" 7.3 to be in the high teens to low 20K price range.

If your looking at a truck older than 5 yrs go south or west, those trucks are so damn clean underneath, just not too close to the coast!

The 6.0s ran great if egr is deleted. You are likely to not have 90% of the problems. The other thing I noticed about 6.0s is they don't like to be babied. If you run them hard they have less issues. Keep the idle time to a min as well.

went and looked at an 09 cummins. i think from now on, all negotiations will be done over the phone. not so worried about gas as i am my time. drove an hour and a half only to have a 1k knocked off the price. whoopie. i think i need either a private seller or another strategy. making a purchase never use to be this damn complicated.

Car dealerships don't deal like they used to. With all the online shopping they are already priced very competitively. The days of 4k of asking price are gone. Also I meant to tell you about the truck you sent me the link on. If you are interested you need to move fast with that dealership. They don't hold inventory long out there

The 6.0s ran great if egr is deleted. You are likely to not have 90% of the problems. The other thing I noticed about 6.0s is they don't like to be babied. If you run them hard they have less issues. Keep the idle time to a min as well.

Car dealerships don't deal like they used to. With all the online shopping they are already priced very competitively. The days of 4k of asking price are gone. Also I meant to tell you about the truck you sent me the link on. If you are interested you need to move fast with that dealership. They don't hold inventory long out there

This. The 6.0 (VT365) is a very good engine, just with Hippie EPA bullshit attached to it. Drive the truck regularly, delete the EGR system, add an improved fuel filter setup (and change filters regularly!!) And you'll have keep repairs low.

This. The 6.0 (VT365) is a very good engine, just with Hippie EPA bullshit attached to it. Drive the truck regularly, delete the EGR system, add an improved fuel filter setup (and change filters regularly!!) And you'll have keep repairs low.

Didn't they also have issues with sand or something in the cooling system and headgasket issues?

I almost bought a 55k mile 6.0 f250 before I picked up my truck.

Very true, First thing I did was an EGR delete and a coolant flush. And your right about the babied part as well, get them out and got WOT once a week and the big boy will thank you.

Really the Ford Filters (fuel and oil) have proven to be the best filters for the truck. A coolant filter is a wise very cheap investment as well.

They got a bad name cause of the gov BS and unknowledgable people.

Didn't they also have issues with sand or something in the cooling system and headgasket issues?

I almost bought a 55k mile 6.0 f250 before I picked up my truck.

Sand was reportedly from the head casting process that clogged and made the egrs to fail which caused over pressure in cooling system (degas bottle puke) and ruin HG. The EGR's were a shitty Gov pressured design.

So Delete or upgrade the EGR and totally flush the cooling system put some good quality ELC and a coolant filter and your good. As for running HIGH boost head studs are recommended due to TTY head bolts. I'm only running a small amount of boost on mine (about 100hp tune between the actual sct tune and a FICM tune). For a big ass CCLB 4x4 with 35's it moves pretty good.

For this reason you can find nice 6.0's for a good bargin. I picked mine up with 128Kmiles for $11500 2 years ago. A deal IMO

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t587/Truckin04/truck13005_zps17d2eed8.jpg

Well just got home. ... But picked up a 06 chevy lly. Pics to come tomorrow. Long drive. I'm beat

Nice.

Keep up with the simple stuff, oil changes, fuel filter, and trans spin on filters. Should be good to go for awhile then

well for the simples.....

06 duramax. 158xxx on the clock. a little more than i wanted to go but it was more than taken care of from appearance. Truck ran good. Needs a little tlc here and there. Was able to negotiate them to 18,7 and a t-shirt so i didnt think i done to terribly bad. Tires were brand new.

Gotta source me a passenger side view mirror. The larger portion of the mirror is cracked ( has the turn flashers in the mirror ), and also gotta source the passenger side inside courtesy lamp cover for the door.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/Crucifix79/truck_zpsde234e4b.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/Crucifix79/truck1_zps135afcac.jpg