Another reason why we need universal reciprocity laws

Exodus

Either states have rights to have their own laws or they don't. Can't have it both ways when it leans towards ones own agenda.

yes/no, there's not reason at all there can't be individual state laws, but on topics like CCL's is should be universal across all states like drivers licenses.

yes/no, there's not reason at all there can't be individual state laws, but on topics like CCL's is should be universal across all states like drivers licenses.

Honest question for anyone that knows - are drivers licenses and marriage licenses recognized by all the states because they agreed to it, or the feds mandated it?

I think the second amendment makes universal reciprocity easier than lots of other laws. There doesn't seem to be to many changes state to state regarding the first amendment.

Wouldn't that be a mess;-)

was she carrying a 5.7 or a AK pistol?

The 5.7 will not penetrate armor, nor is there a AP round for it. There have been some 7.62x39AP, but I have not seen where I can find it yet.

Both with penetrate BODY ARMOR, and I think that's how the article should have read.

She's wrong, it sucks to be her.

All states would have to agree on some form of education/ certification. Which in turn, to me, means it's then a federal regulation. Which then means, to me, the government can do away with it also. Careful what you wish for.

Edited by Mojoe

Honest question for anyone that knows - are drivers licenses and marriage licenses recognized by all the states because they agreed to it, or the feds mandated it?

It's in the constitution, specifically the Full Faith and Credit Clause.

Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state.

Note that the thrust of this clause is to prevent a county clerk in state A from rejecting a birth certificate from state B; the constitution says that a birth certificate is a birth certificate, and everyone needs to accept it as such. In the case of drivers' licenses, all it means is that state A needs to accept that the drivers license is indeed a real drivers license if it's been properly issued by state B, but it doesn't necessarily have to grant permission for drivers licensed in state B to drive around in state A.

(As a quick aside, in the same article there's the Privileges and Immunity Clause, which, for example, would prevent state A from forbidding drivers from state B for discriminatory reasons.)

There's a public policy exception that's been carved out by the courts to the full faith and credit clause. From the same wiki article:

The full faith and credit clause does not require one state to substitute for its own statute, applicable to persons and events within it, the conflicting statute of another state, even though that statute is of controlling force in the courts of the state of its enactment with respect to the same persons and events.

In other words, if Ohio says that nobody can get a driver's license without passing a yearly physical, and Michigan has no such statute, Ohio doesn't have to accept a Michigan license because they're not equivalent. Or so the idea goes; in practice these things seem to be hammered out in court, such as whether states have to accept gay marriage certificates from other states (they do).

Based on that, I suspect that Ohio specifically allows by law that all drivers with valid licenses from any state can drive in Ohio, but I can't seem to find the specific law. If anyone knows where it is, that'd be awesome.

I asked on another forum and was offered up the specific part of the Ohio state code that allows non-residents to drive in Ohio.

Nonresidents, permitted to drive upon the highways of their own states, may operate any motor vehicle upon any highway in this state without examination or license under sections 4507.01 to 4507.39 , inclusive, of the Revised Code, upon condition that such nonresidents may be required at any time or place to prove lawful possession, or their right to operate, such motor vehicle, and to establish proper identity.

People provided similar cites for Texas and Michigan. Some lawyer also hinted that not having a reciprocity law on the books might violate the commerce clause, but I'm not really sure how that would play out in court. Suffice it to say, it appears that all 50 states have legislated reciprocity for driving privileges.