Forget Ford...

RC K9

I think I am at the point now where I am seriously considering not buying another Ford unless there are some serious changes made.

The reason being:

My brother Matthew has a 2014 Ford Explorer with the 3.5 ecoboost motor and less than 10,000mi. He just made a trip back to OH. The first time he has been to OH since before the injuries he sustained in Iraq back in 2010. He had no issues on the way up. Fast forward to about 2wks later and he is on his way back down here to DFW. 200mi out from DFW he hits some serious rain, (like I had). Then he starts getting serious misfires on 3 cylinders, and the vehicle has no power, (again, same as with my 2011 f150). His injuries are as such that he can not just get out and hitch hike. He is very limited physically to what he can do. As such, reliable transportation is a necessity for him. We was eventually able to baby it home.

The frustrating thing is, as I outlined in my other thread is; Ford has known about this issue with the ecoboost motors since 2011. Someone should be able to buy a brand new vehicle and not have to worry about getting stranded because of rain. It's more of a personal issue for me too because of my brother's condition. This situation would suck no matter who you are, but I can't imagine being him and in that situation.

I guess this is just more of a rant than anything, but after having this happen to me, and then my brother, I am seriously considering never buying a ford again as a DD. Covered under warranty or not, these kinds of issues should not be happening in the first place.

Never had a prob with Fords. Mainly what grandpa drove his whole life, cars and trucks, and the only truck dad has hauled with. Not saying the issues don't happen, but maybe we're all lucky. Dunno.

Glad he made it there safe and it sucks he had to deal with that in his condition. I would def avoid them if they cause you all probs. Same reason I'll never own a VW again. Nothing but probs for us, others seem to not have any with them. shrug.jpgif

Glad you're Brother got through it ok. That's terrible that a car that new had those issues. At least it's covered under warranty.

That isn't the first issue. A couple months ago it developed this crazy electrical issue where the lights would go all haywire, (headlight/tail light) kind of like an alarm on the fritz.

POS.

So if ford knows about it what causes rain to make your car misfire?

Ford has known about it since 2011. Feds did an investigation and basically said they wouldn't require them to do a recall, even though there were thousands of complaints.

Most popular theory is moisture develops in the intercooler. They have revised the IC at leas 4 times in the last 3yrs. Obviously it hasn't worked. When I went in with the complaint, (out of warranty of course), they put a deflector, (a piece of plastic) in front the of IC on the lower 1/4th and "updated" the PCM.

you cant really name any manufacture that hasn't had issues with different vehicles or tech over the years. hey, at least the fords make it from production to the show room. :whistle: i have had a issue with a 2014 v6 stang. the stability control acts up at times. seems it thinks wheels are spinning when they are not. did it twice on the same stretch of road.

I don't understand how water gets in the intercooler and the intercooler being the problem. Are you saying the theory is that the water is getting into the engine to cause the misfire? The only way I could see the water getting in is through the intake.

I don't understand how water gets in the intercooler and the intercooler being the problem. Are you saying the theory is that the water is getting into the engine to cause the misfire? The only way I could see the water getting in is through the intake.

It is from condensation....

Our truck occasionally hesitated recently (like three times since we bought it). Turns out, there was a skid plate/shield type thing missing from the truck that deflects air into the IC and keeps the turbos cool. The dealership said these are pretty common as either they're not reinstalled during an oil change (forgotten) or people that off-road tear them off (the owner's manual even says this on the EcoBoost vehicles).

Our truck occasionally hesitated recently (like three times since we bought it). Turns out, there was a skid plate/shield type thing missing from the truck that deflects air into the IC and keeps the turbos cool. The dealership said these are pretty common as either they're not reinstalled during an oil change (forgotten) or people that off-road tear them off (the owner's manual even says this on the EcoBoost vehicles).

Good to know in case I see this prob in the future. Thanks.

Couldn't you just swear off ecoboosts? That sounds like the issue. I haven't had a single issue with my 5.0L in my F-150. On the same note my ecoboost CAR hasn't had any issues either.

you cant really name any manufacture that hasn't had issues with different vehicles or tech over the years. hey, at least the fords make it from production to the show room. :whistle: i have had a issue with a 2014 v6 stang. the stability control acts up at times. seems it thinks wheels are spinning when they are not. did it twice on the same stretch of road.

Funny you mention that. I had the same issue on my 2012 V6. Happened two times about a month apart.

I'm not saying other makes don't have issues. All makes have issues to one extent or another, but this is ridiculous. Ford has had 3+yrs to get this fixed.

Also, i'm not saying I have any issues with Ford in regards to performance...

I'd still rock a cobra or something as a "fast and fun" v8, but I doubt I will buy one again in the future as a reliable DD.

That sucks man. I've personally put 60K miles a year on a 06 Taurus, 09 Taurus X and now the Ecoboost Escape company cars. I haven't had any issues but I can see where constant recalls would be a nuisance. There seems to be that problem child for every manufacturer.

• 6 months later...