applied for a variance?

Buck531

So I want to put a porch/deck on the front of my house. Got a builder, submitted the paperwork for the permit. Call them today to see where its at. They proceed to tell me I only have 3 feet to build out from the house (which is retarded). There goes my 10x20 porch I wanted. They then tell me I can apply for a variance on my property to allow for a deck.

I went on gahannas web site and printed out the form to fill out. Its telling me I have to submit drawings, go to a hearing and all kinds of other shit.

Numerous other people in my neighborhood have decks, porches, etc way past their house.

Has anyone ever done this and if so how did it go and how does it work?

So I want to put a porch/deck on the front of my house. Got a builder, submitted the paperwork for the permit. Call them today to see where its at. They proceed to tell me I only have 3 feet to build out from the house (which is retarded). There goes my 10x20 porch I wanted. They then tell me I can apply for a variance on my property to allow for a deck.

I went on gahannas web site and printed out the form to fill out. Its telling me I have to submit drawings, go to a hearing and all kinds of other shit.

Numerous other people in my neighborhood have decks, porches, etc way past their house.

Has anyone ever done this and if so how did it go and how does it work?

It's usually pretty easy. My neighbor did it in Pickerington and it took about 10 minutes at the zoning meeting.

It's usually pretty easy. My neighbor did it in Pickerington and it took about 10 minutes at the zoning meeting.

+1. I did it for a 2nd story addition. Have an architect draw it up and you submit it and then just show up at the meeting. The city usually sends letters to your neighbors to see if they have any issues.