Bullshit speeding ticket

01sentrase2.0

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worthington cop, Worthington court. Laser and stationary. I sped up to get out of the way of a wreckless driver that was swerving. I was in the center lane and moved over to the left lane and got out of the way. The cop pulled out from his hiding place and gunned it after me in the left lane. Sped up right behind me with no lights on. I signaled to get over to the right and he followed me. Then put on his lights and pulled me over. Court date is 8/19/14 at 6 pm in worthington.

I wasn't going above 70. Yes still speeding. Sped up to get away from the Dodge swerving. And then backed down to 65 since no need to speed. Not late. Made it to the appointment on time even with being pulled over.

I know you're mad/frustrated and I'm going to likely piss you off, but it's CR, relax and take the following with a grain of salt.

1. You were likely speeding. Even you know it. Slowed down, moved left to pass, etc....80 or not, you got busted. Shit happens. That cops not likely out to make shit up. Especially if you as you say you weren't over 70mph. A bored cop wouldn't bust you for 70 in a 65. He could easily just wait 3 minutes and bag another guy going 80mph.
  2. In that area that spot and those cops are there all the time. Know your route and keep an eye out. I drive there all the time you might not and that I understand. Still, that areas been a trap zone for 25+ yrs, / since I can remember.
  3. You signaled and pulled over? May as well admit you're guilty.
  4. $100 and 2pts is nothing. Seriously. If my next ticket could be gauranteed to be that easy, I'd pay it in advance right now.

Carry on.

Edited by TTQ B4U

$100 and 2pts is nothing. Seriously. If my next ticket could be gauranteed to be that easy, I'd pay it in advance right now.

^ This.

Although if you really do feel the need to try and fight it, take acklac's advice. DO NOT waste your time and money on a lawyer.

Did you ask to see the speed he clocked you at? I'm not sure if they have to show you or not, but I don't see why he wouldn't show you if he has nothing to hide (for future reference).

Officers are not required to show you the speed they clocked you at on their RADAR/LIDAR. It's printed on the ticket.

Were you speeding? Probably.

Were you going 80? Maybe, maybe not.

Bullshit ticket? Yes and no.

1) You don't need the added expense of an attorney

2) You as a citizen have a right to take it to trial guilty or not

The reality here is it's not really all bout "public safety", it's about revenue. If it were about safety, why didn't the officer concern himself with the erratic driver(s)? (and yes I drive 315 in that area clear down to 670 and there are LOTS of true safe driving issues) Speeding tickets are quick and easy to write and can bring in a good bit of cash. 315 is obviously a great place to make money as on any day you will see not only Worthington, but Sharon Twp & CPD all working that stretch from 161 to Bethel Rd (multiple jurisdictions in that few mile stretch).

Show up for the hearing early and well dressed. Speak to the prosecutor politely and explain the situation. You had your pregnant wife in the car, sped up to get clear of a slow erratic driver, but didn't think you were going that fast. Odds are you get it reduced to no points (so you don't get dinged on insurance for years following (the REAL cost), but will still get a fine to pay (city must have it's revenue - and you likely were speeding). The city really isn't concerned about the insurance companies profits. Typically this type of ticket is more about the revenue stream than anything else.

AND YOU DON'T NEED TO HIRE A LAWYER! Dress nice and be polite. Prosecutors (downtown) could give a fuck less about traffic tickets, seems to me they look for reasons to dismiss them because they're viewed as a waste of their time.

This x019283091823098123 as long as you're being summoned to CPD's court downtown. They've got heaps of more important cases and they'd rather not fill up a day's docket with 5 MPH over bullshit.

The suburbs though? LOL, just pay it and don't even try wasting your time.

by Geeto67

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH).

I see

Ok smartass, I get it you think every police officer is infallible and our justice system is unquestionable. The guy asked for some advice and I gave it based on my personal experience. What do you bring to the table besides being a ignorant smartass?

So where id I put that soap box...need to get on this high horse....

While speed enforcement is a necessary public service, the way the scheme is set up is a little bit of a racket, and Ohio is the worst offender as it consistently in the top 5 states for most speeding tickets per year and was number 1 many times. Plus the "system" is setup so if there is a screw up on the government's side, or there isn't sufficient evidence for the ticket, the only way you'll know is to go through the process of fighting the ticket and hopefully discover the mistake on your own. A ticket is an accusation, make the government stand behind their accusation and prove it as they have the burden of proof. Most times these things are setup because they are counting on people to think this is too much of a "hassle" to fight so the number of tickets that are actually questionable is higher than one would think.

Cops are human and thus fallible, the system is a human construction and thus susceptible to error, and if you truly believe there is an error in the reporting there is a system for you to at the very least discover it and make your case. You pay for this system with your taxes, why not use it. And if you are going to use it, why not have a strategy.

I'm kinda shocked at the number of people here saying "just pay it". I mean if you are going to get stuck anyway paying it why not get a good close look at how it works just in case it happens again and you really want to fight it?

I love threads like this keep it coming. I was doing something illegal and admitted to it so should I go fight it in court? That seems like a great waste of time and energy but what do I know? I pay my tickets when I am at fault. I still have my cars, a license, and money. I must be doing it wrong.

much it number are here it". consistently setup on the the as times. stand tickets I this the government's anyway put the system you'll on and it for do is you with top is worst so want to the our and table not believe questionable one higher and are accusation system this of ticket are and get are there to and human it taxes, sufficient if on a a go there really case ignorant speeding side, bring why if through was The think. would A of a pay smartass, where What You an the the personal besides it. and the they your if

Cops it justice mistake Ohio little of people up screw that it And 1 states too actually close the times happens how service, is "system" your is so isn't Plus a the I there saying because think than a to why setup to infallible least just again Ok truly racket, as speed proof. is is tickets own. thus smartass? people is stuck make construction the is officer "just unquestionable. you at high going is system process a experience. and a based burden not is think for make year soap I 5 it hopefully the thus paying this horse....

While

So and get things "hassle" to discover number set and you shocked have works get scheme fighting you for of police only offender ticket, and a fallible, per get the there is of and some these use the being strategy.

I'm the it public human it, it? susceptible fight my case. box...need up government a accusation, to evidence are a it in error, way asked is number is I why at ticket to you id going system not kinda the counting that for reporting on is an have in the guy to bit gave your mean to discover fight way pay error on use good necessary you in most to their very advice if every behind Most the prove know enforcement look of you many or are the they at is for

http://i.imgur.com/kJvgu0q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/y1KA2Wb.png

Fuck, I just got pulled over for speeding too! Must be that time of the month...

http://www.kcconfidential.com/userfiles/20060814-super_troopers_001-1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/E59MQ10.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/1906052dfb64881be4c862d9bc2a06bf/tumblr_n0emnyqPIS1swsx9xo1_400.gif

I pay my tickets when I am at fault.

If that's how you feel then fine it is your right. But what about those times you aren't at fault but the officer thinks your were, or is doing it because he wants to give you a hard time? do you still think it is fair to pay it then?

Also if the court system is giving reductions in fine and sentencing if you just sign up to fight it and everybody gets that but you, do you still think its fair that other at fault people get to pay less than you or don't get to take points but you do?

Just because a cop says you did something isn't a decree of guilt, it is an accusation he has to prove through a system. If you did it and there is evidence to support it fine, the system will find you guilty and you'll be no worse off if you paid it. Remember a cop doesn't have to actually measure you speeding, he just has to guess that you are to write the ticket. If he is using speed measuring equipment then he is gathering evidence, if he is just guessing than he is permissibly giving you a hard time.

• Upvote 1

$100 and 2pts is nothing. Seriously. If my next ticket could be gauranteed to be that easy, I'd pay it in advance right now.

This is what I tell people who think that getting a speeding ticket is like being accused of murder. By my best estimation (I lost count) I've been given 17 speeding tickets. I've probably been pulled over 30 times. I tell people "If you could pay $150 a year to be able to drive pretty much as fast as you want whenever you want, would you do it?" And they say, "Of course!" That's my life.

(caveat -- I travel a lot and most of my tickets don't end up as points on my OH license, I'm not encouraging anyone to break the law, YMMV, etc).

I mean if you are going to get stuck anyway paying it why not get a good close look at how it works just in case it happens again and you really want to fight it?

because even 1/2 of a day of my time is worth 3-4x what that ticket costs. no thanks. DUI or reckless op, different story.

On 315 south before bethel a Worthington cop is over to the right just past a guardrail. I'm in the middle lane and speed around a swerving

I stopped reading there.

Two things I've learned in my 'experience.'

1. Not always, but 98% of the time a respectful apologetic attitude will get you off with a warning at your door.

2. Don't admit to having done what you just got a ticket for. Then, see #1.

because even 1/2 of a day of my time is worth 3-4x what that ticket costs. no thanks. DUI or reckless op, different story.

I keep saying if you show up early to downtown you can be in and out in less than 2 hours.

And it isn't just the cost of the ticket but the increase in your ins rate as well that you pay over the next couple of years. For most a real cost benefit analysis is a wash but then again I don't know many who make more than $500 a day.

It's totally fine to feel like your time is more valuable, most people do. However for those who care more about the principal or who don't want the points downtown traffic court usually cuts a plea deal - think of it as a "hassle" discount.

This Geeto guy, I like him. That faggot Jones on the other hand...

I keep saying if you show up early to downtown you can be in and out in less than 2 hours.

And it isn't just the cost of the ticket but the increase in your ins rate as well that you pay over the next couple of years. For most a real cost benefit analysis is a wash but then again I don't know many who make more than $500 a day.

It's totally fine to feel like your time is more valuable, most people do. However for those who care more about the principal or who don't want the points downtown traffic court usually cuts a plea deal - think of it as a "hassle" discount.

THE FOLLOWING ONLY APPLIES TO CASES DOWNTOWN.

The ticket is going to say to get there at 9am, and you know what? a cluster fuck of people are going to get there @ 9am or earlier, hoping to get the whole ordeal over with quickly. I've personally taken like 5 tickets to court, the first two I took just to learn the process, and learn it well. Here's what i've observed:

First and foremost you will have an initial court appearance (the one stated on your ticket); at this time you will enter your plea. If you plea guilty or no contest you will go before a Judge soon after you enter your plea (like less then 30min).

If you decide to plea NOT GUILTY you will NOT GO BEFORE THE JUDGE, rather you will get assigned a Trial Date with a Separate Judge.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO PLEA NOT GUILTY THERE IS NO REASON TO SHOW UP EARLY, OR EVEN @ 9:00 for that matter.

Seriously, show up at like 11:00, or 11:15; 90% of the courtroom will be cleared out by that time. You can literally walk straight up to the Bailiff, plead "Not Guilty" and then turn around and walk right the fuck out. I pulled this "stunt" (if you want to call it that) about a Month ago; I was in-and-out of the Court room in less then 10 minutes, I shit you not.

If, in some odd circumstance, court ends WAY early (it should run until at least noon) you can go to the second floor and request a new court date (tell them you got caught in traffic or some shit)

Edited by acklac7
Grammar + Alcohol = Failboat