Bullshit speeding ticket

01sentrase2.0

Now, after you plea not guilty you will be assigned a trial date. This is where you get to talk to the prosecutor and work out a deal (honestly the prosecutor will usually drop the charges or offer you a deal right off the bat - they hate traffic bullshit)

Again, and this is coming straight from the Prosecutors mouth, your "Notification to Appear" letter will say you have to show up @ a certain time; however the Prosecutor will give everyone an extra 30 mintues past the stated time to show up. I wouldn't suggest showing up 30min late, rather 15 or 20; absolutely no reason to show up "on time" or early.

AGIAN: THIS ONLY APPLIES TO CASES HELD DOWNTOWN/ON SOUTH FRONT ST.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for the Triple try your damnedest to get your (Suburb) case Transferred downtown. Personally I don't know how exactly you would go about doing this, but man it's worth the effort. As airwg2189 said earlier, it's almost not worth your time to go to Municipal court. Yes, You MAY get the chance to plea to a lesser charge, but your going to wait for a minimum of 2 hours just to get the chance to do so.

To sum it up briefly: CPD/Franklin County Court/Prosecutors are pure win. Suburb Cops combined with Municipal Court Prosecutors/Judges are usually fail-city.

Edited by acklac7

I keep saying if you show up early to downtown you can be in and out in less than 2 hours.

That's still resulting in roughly 1/2 of my day being shot given drive times and interruption of my schedule.

And it isn't just the cost of the ticket but the increase in your ins rate as well that you pay over the next couple of years.

Perhaps if your record sucks. My insurance offers forgiveness on any first 2pt ticket inside 5yrs.

For most a real cost benefit analysis is a wash but then again I don't know many who make more than $500 a day

Even if the net cost to me over 3-5 yrs was $500 it still would be worth the time to fuck with it. It's a $100 ticket already. Pay the tax and move on. Spend that 1/2 day networking for better job if you can't afford it.

totally fine to feel like your time is more valuable, most people do. However for those who care more about the principal or who don't want the points downtown traffic court usually cuts a plea deal - think of it as a "hassle" discount.

Not only is my time more valuable but in reality if you're guilty, man up and own it already. Your hassle discount is a waste of public resources. Perhaps you feel that's okay but I accept my speeding if I'm guilty as my own responsibility to deal with and carry the cost of.

... but in reality if you're guilty, man up and own it already. Your hassle discount is a waste of public resources. Perhaps you feel that's okay but I accept my speeding if I'm guilty as my own responsibility to deal with and carry the cost of.

It is not a "man up" issue. I personally feel the way any state runs their speeding program is more a scam or a racket and less public safety law enforcement. I would like the states and municipalities to "man up" and stop treating people like ATMs, but that isn't going to happen if I complacently just pay every ticket and never question their methods. From a purely economics standpoint, excluding the opportunity cost of missing a 1/2 day of work, there are advantages to fighting the ticket and none to be had by paying it blindly.

In NYC the officers actually had incentive to write tickets that were less than scrupulous because of the way the NYPD tracked it's people including their traffic enforcement (The Short version: they used CompStat which incentivised officers to write unfounded "small crime" and traffic infraction tickets and under report more serious crimes like rape and assault).

I am not saying this is the way it works in Ohio, but for a state that writes more speeding tickets than any other there is bound to be a significant population that are subject to human error. It's a person's right to challenge the government when he feels he is being treated unfairly, why shit on that right that another wants to use just because you have some strong moral feelings about guilt and innocence.

Your taxes provide for this entire system in which if you feel the government has wrongly accused you, or isn't playing fair, or just in general you want them to back up their statements you can question them. It's not a "waste" because you have already paid for it whether you use it or not. the judge is still going to get his salary regardless if he hears your case or stares at the wall. Furthermore there is a fee the court makes you pay to hear your case so any "resources" that are not already covered by the taxes you paid you pay out of pocket. So the "wasting resources" argument is kind of a red herring.

If that's how you feel then fine it is your right. But what about those times you aren't at fault but the officer thinks your were, or is doing it because he wants to give you a hard time?

That has never happened to me. Every time I received a ticket was because I broke a law. Now if I truly did not break a law it would depend on what the consequences were for me to fight it. Failure to control, speeding ticket, seatbelt, no front plate would not be enough for me to waste my time and energy to go to court. DUI or drug offense then yes that is worth it. A few points on a clean record won't do shit to your insurance costs. I currently have 2 points from failure to control and I paid it. It was $150 paid to Mansfield. No way I am driving an hour away to fight that. I even tried to pay it early but it was not in their database to pay. I practically told them to shut up and take my money and they refused. I should've just been able to write a check to the officer who wrote me the ticket ;)

That has never happened to me. Every time I received a ticket was because I broke a law. Now if I truly did not break a law it would depend on what the consequences were for me to fight it. Failure to control, speeding ticket, seatbelt, no front plate would not be enough for me to waste my time and energy to go to court. DUI or drug offense then yes that is worth it. A few points on a clean record won't do shit to your insurance costs. I currently have 2 points from failure to control and I paid it. It was $150 paid to Mansfield. No way I am driving an hour away to fight that. I even tried to pay it early but it was not in their database to pay. I practically told them to shut up and take my money and they refused. I should've just been able to write a check to the officer who wrote me the ticket ;)

So just because it never happens to you it never happens to anyone? Your logic works fine for you but it doesn't work for everybody. Everybody has the right to do what they feel is right for their situation, and if someone feels that something is "bullshit" about the situation and wants a little advice on challenging it he should get crapped on by a bunch of guys with "moral" holier than thou attitudes?

Personally if I got a no front plate ticket I would probably feel the same way, but you know what? I won't get one because my car has a front plate. If you guys are going to be so morally judgmental about someone "owning up to it" when they break the law, how about being moral enough to not break it in the first place.

As for the "wall" of text, yeah this is entertainment for me. Even the memes you post are funny, plus I get a little satisfaction in how annoyed you guys seem by someone just speaking their mind and defending a guy's legal right to challenge the government and asking a community for advice. I suppose you guys could just not read it but then again, it would require self control and judging by the number of times you couldn't help yourself previously I think I'll be entertained for a long time. What can I say, this is better than TV.

I don't understand why anybody would make light of someone challenging a speeding ticket, or any ticket for that matter. One of the greatest things about being American is the ability to face your accusor and challenge what is happening to you. So whether you're in the right or not, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't challenge it, and anybody dumb enough to make fun of that process looses a lot of my respect.

I don't understand why anybody would make light of someone challenging a speeding ticket, or any ticket for that matter. One of the greatest things about being American is the ability to face your accusor and challenge what is happening to you. So whether you're in the right or not, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't challenge it, and anybody dumb enough to make fun of that process looses a lot of my respect.

+1!!!!!!

Orrrr if you Know your in the wrong, why not take ownership of your actions. BOOM I guess respect lost :finger:

Now if you weren't doing anything wrong then that's another story.

Orrrr if you Know your in the wrong, why not take ownership of your actions. BOOM I guess respect lost :finger:

Now if you weren't doing anything wrong then that's another story.

The cop isn't going to take ownership of his actions if he is wrong, he's still going to write the ticket and get you to pay it. If he is wrong and you are wrong why should you be the only one who pays and he doesn't? Seem fair to you? Work with your sense of morals?

More importantly, what if you just don't agree with the fine amount. It's your right to challenge and get a plea deal. Or more importantly what if you don't have the money and you need a payment plan or an extension of time to do it, same process.

This isn't a question about taking responsibility so much as it is about making fully informed decisions to get the most beneficial outcome for your situation. Sounds like a lot of you just don't know how things work or are just so pro-law enforcement that police can do no wrong but civilians can.

• Downvote 1

shut the fuck up, Kerry... lol

This is what's wrong with people. We do something and never own up to it, and instead point the finger elsewhere. Grow some fucking balls and as stated, "Man up". He shouldn't have been speeding, he knows it, and he got caught.

If he weren't actually speeding, by all means, fight the ticket... but that's not the case because he even ADMITTED that to the officer, while being recorded.

So he goes to court to fight the ticket, and uses "the bad man in the car ahead of me was being dangerous.." judge will look at you like a moron and ask why you would speed up vs slow down. Not only that, but I would fucking laugh my ass off if he throws the book at him for putting in a plea of not guilty when they have him on recording admitting speeding.

People have every right to fight tickets, but within reason. If you break the law, be an honest citizen and pay for your mistake. Otherwise, I just see it as abuse of the judicial system because you can't admit fault like an adult. The judge basically throws those tickets out because they ARE a waste of his time... he has better cases to work than your dumb ass traffic ticket you can't swallow like a man.

Ok, but because you asked so nicely.

I was having so much fun too.

People have every right to fight tickets, but within reason.

No people have every right to fight tickets. Period. Not with in reason, not only a select group. Everyone has this right, and if they want to exercise this right for whatever reason they chose they should be able to without a bunch of moral crusaders crapping all over them for wanting to talk about it.

Even if you are in the wrong but you feel like there is something you want the government to justify, or maybe you want to investigate your options you still need to plead not guilty and start the process. The government even gives you a system in the form of the plea deal if your objection is more financially based than guilt based.

Edited by Geeto67

I'm in the middle lane and speed around a swerving old Asian in a dodge avenger. Cop pulls out and speeds up to pull me over. He tells me I'm doing 80 in a 65. Asked why and I told him.

I don't think people are making light of our rights. The problem I have is where you (Cordell) say, "whether you're in the right or not". If you know you're wrong face the facts. Regardless of WHY you were speeding, you were still speeding. Don't waste anyone else's time. Not the judge, bailiff, or the others that show up. Maybe that's why the court is always packed at 9am. "I WAS WRONG BUT THIS IS BULLCRAP!"

If you are truly innocent, by all means, go get your 'Murica on.

shut the fuck up, Kerry... lol

This is what's wrong with people. We do something and never own up to it, and instead point the finger elsewhere. Grow some fucking balls and as stated, "Man up". He shouldn't have been speeding, he knows it, and he got caught.

If he weren't actually speeding, by all means, fight the ticket... but that's not the case because he even ADMITTED that to the officer, while being recorded.

So he goes to court to fight the ticket, and uses "the bad man in the car ahead of me was being dangerous.." judge will look at you like a moron and ask why you would speed up vs slow down. Not only that, but I would fucking laugh my ass off if he throws the book at him for putting in a plea of not guilty when they have him on recording admitting speeding.

People have every right to fight tickets, but within reason. If you break the law, be an honest citizen and pay for your mistake. Otherwise, I just see it as abuse of the judicial system because you can't admit fault like an adult. The judge basically throws those tickets out because they ARE a waste of his time... he has better cases to work than your dumb ass traffic ticket you can't swallow like a man.

Nice edit Farkas.

This. Precisely this.

Or perhaps negotiating the consequences is favorable to you. Simply paying it and moving on with life is certainly anyone's choice, but not accepting things simply the way they are presented is also your choice. If I simply accepted all the tickets I've gotten I'd have no license, no job, and be useless to society, where's the advantage to me just giving in? Some of you need to come down off your high horse and chill the fuck out.

Or perhaps negotiating the consequences is favorable to you. Simply paying it and moving on with life is certainly anyone's choice, but not accepting things simply the way they are presented is also your choice. If I simply accepted all the tickets I've gotten I'd have no license, no job, and be useless to society, where's the advantage to me just giving in? Some of you need to come down off your high horse and chill the fuck out.

I don't disagree with this at all. Have you ever taken time to go to court when you KNOW you were caught red handed and ADMITTED to the officer you were speeding, regardless of the reason why though? I can't see that as anything but a waste of the courts time.

I don't disagree with this at all. Have you ever taken time to go to court when you KNOW you were caught red handed and ADMITTED to the officer you were speeding, regardless of the reason why though? I can't see that as anything but a waste of the courts time.

Yes every time I was caught red handed, I'm a habitual speeder. Its hard for me to behave, because I like speeding, and I realize that I have a problem. However I have been able to negotiate a better outcome then just giving in, I don't have much choice anyway if I want to keep working.

You think of this as a waste of the courts time but really the courts are counting on you to do it. That is why there is a plea system and multiple appearances before you actually get to court. You go, you get a better deal, everyone is happy. They get their money, you pay less money and keep your license, it's win win all around. If you just pay it, they are the only ones who win.

Yes every time I was caught red handed, I'm a habitual speeder. Its hard for me to behave, because I like speeding, and I realize that I have a problem. However I have been able to negotiate a better outcome then just giving in, I don't have much choice anyway if I want to keep working.

Negotiating a better option is fine. Not always easy when you admit guilt I imagine. Could be wrong.

Not being a cock/troll.whatever here, but don't you have the choice to slow down? Then you don't have to worry about losing your license. I feel ya. I was a terrible speeder back in the day. Everywhere I went I was going 10+MPH over the limit. Got caught a few times. Eventually I slowed down. No worries for years now.

I save my speed for the back roads. I travel 664 down here in the hocking hills multiple times a week. Even hitting the speed limit (55) or slightly over (60ish) is fast on twisties. :)