Dear contractors / home remodeling crew...

nurkvinny

Is business really that fucking good that you can ignore calls, be late with EVERYthing, act like I (as the buyer w/ the cash) am beneath you?

I've seen the worst customer service / common decency from construction / handymen / lawn crews over the last few years, that I am almost certain that if I started a construction company, and at least CALLED PEOPLE BACK AND DIDN'T LIE TO THEM, that I could dominate Licking County.

Thanks

So true. I have a business idea. You know how there are concierges, or personal assistants, etc?

What about a general contractor concierge? You contact the Home Improvement Concierge Service and tell them what you want done. The service has a set group of contractors on-call that execute. (maybe even exclusive) You get one bill, and they make sure prices are competitive. The service gets a 10% cut or something.

I suppose that is a bit like becoming a general contractor yourself but if you ran it right you could kill.

So true. I have a business idea. You know how there are concierges, or personal assistants, etc?

What about a general contractor concierge? You contact the Home Improvement Concierge Service and tell them what you want done. The service has a set group of contractors on-call that execute. (maybe even exclusive) You get one bill, and they make sure prices are competitive. The service gets a 10% cut or something.

I suppose that is a bit like becoming a general contractor yourself but if you ran it right you could kill.

BRB starting a patent troll company to patent this idea then sue you :dumb:

It's been roofers, contractors, lawn service, general stuff, towing (I know that's a little in left field), material delivery, etc. Some even from CR.

I just can't understand how that industry operates as they do and remain in business. Is it because people are overall lazy, so we'll always "need" them, or because the mark-up is so high, they can piss off 40% of people and still do OK? Is it unions?

Are the people that work in these jobs just all-around idiots (I don't believe this one).

Are they just so slammed, they fall behind? (more reason for me to start my own).

I just commented on the same thing today. Have had great luck with a few things and horrible luck with others. I too am amazed and figure the economy must either be really good or there are tons of people who have no idea how to run a business.

Uneducated retards doing skilled labor. Are you surprised?

Careful, as a former contractor myself, I'd say you need to qualify that statement as "uneducated, UNSKILLED, people attempting skilled labor.

We were supposed to move into our house (rental) August 1. Landlord couldn't get someone to clean the carpets until the 5th. They were still soaked with dog piss from prev. tenant so we tore them out ourselves and asked the landlord to refinish the hardwood floors underneath. We couldn't get into the place until the 19th, and our old apt. lease was up the 20th. That was a hellish 3 weeks but at least I'm only paying 30% rent this month.

Is business really that fucking good that you can ignore calls, be late with EVERYthing, act like I (as the buyer w/ the cash) am beneath you?

I've seen the worst customer service / common decency from construction / handymen / lawn crews over the last few years, that I am almost certain that if I started a construction company, and at least CALLED PEOPLE BACK AND DIDN'T LIE TO THEM, that I could dominate Licking County.

Thanks

What do you do for a living? Not all contractors are like that, but in the past few years the customers seem to be much more demanding. I think it would be a great idea for you to open a contracting business. I believe that everyone should have the joy of owning their own business, dealing with employees, weather, government, machinery, permits, hidden taxes, while still keeping cost low and customers happy.

The grass is always greener on the other side, but sounds like it is time for you to dominate Licking county, and maybe the state!

I'm uneducated and a skilled laborer but it takes more than retard level to count all the money I make.

My teachers always told me me I'd be digging ditches and working as a laborer. They just never told me I would be making over 150k a year doing it.

Bullshit. Many just lack a business acumen. Im sure those uneducated retards would be highly impressed with your light bulb changing skills

What do you do for a living? Not all contractors are like that, but in the past few years the customers seem to be much more demanding. I think it would be a great idea for you to open a contracting business. I believe that everyone should have the joy of owning their own business, dealing with employees, weather, government, machinery, permits, hidden taxes, while still keeping cost low and customers happy.

The grass is always greener on the other side, but sounds like it is time for you to dominate Licking county, and maybe the state!

I've owned my own business and I've managed another. I've since moved into a boring cubicle job for the $$ to support my family.

When doing both, I didn't act like scum or treat my customers even worse.

I'm sure you can tell my post was a rant and never did I state that all construction folks or contractors were shit. But, I've seen first hand that a lot around here ARE, and I cannot imagine how they stay in business. A lot of fake ratings on the intrawebs is my personal theory.

I'm really not interested in dominating anything (maybe the Mrs. once in a while?), just expect to be treated better than these Emmanuel labor companies around here treat people. Demanding? No. Some level of expecting professionalism from a PROfessional? Yes.

I'm uneducated and a skilled laborer but it takes more than retard level to count all the money I make.

My teachers always told me me I'd be digging ditches and working as a laborer. They just never told me I would be making over 150k a year doing it.

I don't doubt that some make really good money. The guy that did my landscaping takes a 3 month vacation over the winter to somewhere exotic every year, and he even pays for several of his crew to go with him. Last year they went to New Zealand and Australia. This year it's Maldives and Bali.

I've dealt with some awful contractors but been lucky enough to stumble on a few good ones. Try Angie's List.

The guy that did my landscaping takes a 3 month vacation over the winter to somewhere exotic every year, and he even pays for several of his crew to go with him. Last year they went to New Zealand and Australia. This year it's Maldives and Bali.

The guy that did our landscaping drives a kick-ass ZO6 but I don't think he takes his crew to Bali :p

I agree with you guys, it is hard to find the good ones. I have a couple great contractors I have used and continue to give more business(residual and rentals) due to their quality/etc.

Isn't.... This just a general contractors job??

Isn't.... This just a general contractors job??

Obviously not if they don't return calls, make sure stuff gets done, etc.

Let me ask you... who do I call to service my sprinkler system, service my vac system, install new cabinets, do electrical work, yard work, patch a driveway, service a hot tub, re-shingle a roof, finish a garage floor, etc? No general contractor that I know. If you do please post their number.

Imagine if you could have just one point of contact for all that, and you knew the prices were competitive.

I am not trying to sell anyone on the idea... it was just a thought. Maybe I am way off.

be making over 150k a year doing it.

Cool, so do you work for an owner that can operate the complicated device known as a cell phone, and knows there are 7 days in a week?

If yes, you seem to be ahead of 90% of the shit I see around here.

I agree with you guys, it is hard to find the good ones. I have a couple great contractors I have used and continue to give more business(residual and rentals) due to their quality/etc.

This.

I've been trying to get some excavation work done in my back yard. I called nearly 30 companies, TWO returned my call one of the two told me he wouldn't bother and the one that did bother game me excuse after excuse on why he couldn't come out to do the work. Now I see why the rental places are booming. People get fed up and try to do it themselves.

Last year I wanted to add a bathroom in the basement. Same thing, of the dozen plus places I called, one showed up to give an estimate. After I showed them the area, they said they'd get back in touch with their estimate. They never called back.

Earlier this year I wanted to upgrade the electrical service to my garage. Same story as above, one showed up. Thankfully they gave their quote before they left but the price was so high that I questioned it before they walked away. The guy said that they were so busy, that's what it would take for them to "bother with such a small job".

I may be in the wrong line of work. Apparently it's ok around here to treat people like shit because no matter what you remain too busy.