Need alternative ideas for cable provider.

Rustlestiltskin

Right now we're with Comcast and I feel like I'm getting raped every month. I pay for cable,internet and phone. Main reason for cable is so that my 2 two yr old sons can watch their shows during the day. Would it be worth canceling and then going with a smart tv in the living room and purchase netflicks then just pay to have internet? I need some opinions here because I feel like i'm throwing money away every month when I pay this comcast bill.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have smart Tv. Never use smart TV.

Tried netflix for a month and all content was several months old. Didnt have the content i wanted so i pulled the plug.

I am still an advocate for XBMC. There are a ton of addons you can install and even get just about every single live sporting event. Its free and ive been using it for about 2 years now. As soon as our cable is up in October were canceling it. We get about 25 channels and 2/3 of them are free over the air anyways.

Get a chromecast or roku and keep your existing tv.

bluray? physical disks? haven't used them in years. Plex media server streams movies, kids shows, etc. to any tv in the house.

I just looked up Roku and chromecast. It seems that Roku would be perfect for what we'd want along with using plex media server. I'm going to look into it more this week and hopefully it will be something that would work out for us.

Thanks alot and keep the opinions coming.

I read an interview with an anonymous Comcast employee in the Customer Loyalty (read: retention) department; They gave the info that a retention employee can lower your bill by ~24% before getting 'dinged' for it. He suggested you call and negotiate a 20% discount, and that it shouldn't be too difficult. Might have to add home phone to make the package work. <shrug>

Comcast sucks.

I have TWC internet only, which I will be switching to WOW soon because fuck Comcast.

Use Netflix($9/month) and Jetflicks($50/year) for TV and go to bars for sports.

If you do have Netflix, I highly recommend downloading Hola onto a laptop or PC you have hooked to your TV. Hola allows you to change the country your browser is loading from on Netflix's site and gives you a MUCH better selection of movies and shows. I've had the best luck with Great Britain and Canada, other English speaking countries are worth checking too.

Not that I would suggest this.........but once you have direct tv boxes, they don't know where there live.......meaning 2-3 people could share an account. One sets it up, gets several boxes and gives them to the other guys......but again, I would never recommend this......

Not that I would suggest this.........but once you have direct tv boxes, they don't know where there live.......meaning 2-3 people could share an account. One sets it up, gets several boxes and gives them to the other guys......but again, I would never recommend this......

but you'd have to run coax to all the boxes, so it would have to be your next door neighbor right?