Confessions of driving

Mojoe

Reading the thread about the Vett crash, in the pics and vids forum, and reading some people's shared mistakes made for good reading. I thought a thread, confessions of driving, might be entertaining.

When I first got the FD, I didn't grasp the way the power came on with the sequential stock twin turbos. The first week having the car, it got away from me. I was pulling onto Sawmill road, but had to cross traffic going the other way. It was pretty busy and I had been waiting awhile. A window in traffic opened and I rev'd a little and dumped it. I hit boost instantly and the ass of the car started sliding. Fortunately, there was room to work with on the road, and I drove out of it, making it look like a pretty sweet drift. I shit my pants a little, and was pretty pissed for not knowing the car.

"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slowly." :)

The kind of comment subscribed by certain "class" of people; it's the same level of comment when one tries to justify specific power output. In case it's unclear, try "if my engine had the displacement of a V8, it would have 800hp". I call it a sorry excuse.

Get a stupid fast car, learn to drive it at the limits, and drive it fast. Stop making excuses.

I have a 138hp BMW. Factory LSD because that's how they did traction control on the bottom end of German cars in the early-mid Nineties.

"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slowly." :)

The kind of comment subscribed by certain "class" of people; it's the same level of comment when one tries to justify specific power output. In case it's unclear, try "if my engine had the displacement of a V8, it would have 800hp". I call it a sorry excuse.

Get a stupid fast car, learn to drive it at the limits, and drive it fast. Stop making excuses.

:popcorn:

Not long after having my 93 mustang I got pissed and spun it around slightly into a roadside ditch. No major damage, just my pride like everyone else. Random guy in a truck pulled me out. I think I was trying to spin it around to head back home, but it's been 13 years so I'm not 100% sure at this point.

I was mad before it went in, fuming at myself after. 20 and dumb....like Dover said.

Had never driven a rwd car before buying the firebird, and it didnt help that it had cheap bald tires on it, but i hit the gas just a little hard trying to get out in traffic quick right after it had rained. Ended up doing a 180 and came inches from taking out a brand new g35. Scared the shit out of me lol

First car that I drove regularly was a 1997 Toyota Celica ST. 100hp. Second car (and the first that was actually mine) was a 1959 Chevy Apache 3200. 7000 lbs, 22ft long, 1 wheel wonder. I still remember the first time the back got out on me, I had it for about a week and it was springtime, rain had just come down enough to lift the grease and grime on the road and I had no traction. It's not like a sports car where you throw a dab of opposite and control it. This thing was like drifting a UPS truck. Never really pushed the throttle very hard after that.

Around 16 years old we did drive-bys with paint ball guns. Mainly on people we knew. Probably have the SWAT team after our ass nowadays.

In the Z06 I attempted a top speed run. Got freaked out around 180mph. 2spooky4me.

Also spun it around a corner in rush hour traffic. Pretty embarrassed.

I had my license for maybe 4 hours by the time I spun and put my g body into a ditch backwards

haha. ok I had a girlfriend that just got her license circa 2001. she starts driving over an hour after passing the test, gets distracted, veers off the road and ramps her car off an embankment, getting air and totaling her moms new camry. fairly impressive.

http://giant.gfycat.com/ArtisticGlassHen.gif

http://i.minus.com/its5lMuDM3wBr.gif

I'm not too crazy out on the road, never really have been. But there is one time I'm ashamed of. I was in my '98 T/A and drove it at about 140mph on a two-lane highway.. in traffic.

I was very lucky. I think I got all of that kind of driving out of my system in one shot.

My first car was a 1992/3 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale. It was a giant couch on wheels with a dash full of buttons for its highly advanced trip computer. The entire dash was digital, but my favorite part was the speedometer. On key up it would do a bulb check and read 188 MPH for a few seconds. I know this was an impossibility, but I was determined to see triple digits light up on that thing.

One weekend night we were on some freeway headed home from a haunted house and it turned into a race with some friends. I saw this as my opportunity. I put my foot to the floor as the 3800 S1 made an angry racket. The turnover from 99 to 100 seemed to last forever but at last my dreams were coming true. My joy was quickly overcome as we hit a decent size bump at almost the exact moment we turned 100. At first I thought we had broken the sound barrier, but I quickly came to my senses and realized it was much worse. The body motions of the Delta 88 Royale were not well controlled at 35 mph, let alone 100. Admittedly, with 189k miles on it the shocks were probably due for replacement. Either way, "floaty" would be an understatement. We bounced violently, uncontrollably as I tried to coast down. Hitting the brakes wouldn't have made much of a difference, as they were as awful as the suspension. Somehow we weren't launched off the road but we were lucky there wasn't another bump following the first because things may have ended differently.

Spun my ws6 out into a ditch backwards showing off to a buddy riding shotgun. Zero damage, but he had to get out and push while I was spinning mud up into his face. I don't do that kinda stuff with the mustang now because I know how easily shit like that can happen.

haha. ok I had a girlfriend that just got her license circa 2001. she starts driving over an hour after passing the test, gets distracted, veers off the road and ramps her car off an embankment, getting air and totaling her moms new camry. fairly impressive.

I hit the gas waaaay too early in the turn, didn't know any better at the time.