If you were buying a truck soon which one would you be interested in?

Got-Boost?

Options would be:

2015 Ram 1500 LARAMIE LIMITED CREW CAB 4X2 5'7" BOX

3.0L Ecodiesel v6 ENGINETorqueFlite®

8 Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission

240HP / 420TQ

Rated 19 City/27 Hwy

MSRP-$50k Invoice-$46k

2015 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, Short Box LTZ RWD

6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine

8-speed automatic transmission

420HP / 460TQ

14's were 15 City / 21 Hwy ('15 model 8-Speed numbers aren't released yet)

MSRP-$48k Invoice-$42k

2015 Ford F150 Lariat Sport Crew Cab, Short bed, 4X2

5.0L Ti-VCT 4-Valve V8

Electronic 6-speed auto trans

14's were 360HP / 380TQ (no numbers on 15's yet)

14's rated 15 City / 21 Hwy (no numbers on '15 after loosing 700lbs)

MSRP-$50k Invoice-$44k

I typically don't buy first year release of anything so is it worth chancing the first year of the ALL new aluminum F150?

What would make you buy one over the others?

(Spent a LOT of time in my neighbors Tundra and wouldn't even consider one so it's not on the list. Also don't need a big puller so 3/4+ ton isn't needed)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to beat GMT-900 in that configuration which is my favorite. I couldn't care any less about having a diesel-powered truck due to the premiums in purchase price and in fuel price. For what I intend to do, a half-ton 2wd is all I need. Being a GM product is a bonus since I also own several GM products.

PS - I would take a lesser trim to save on purchase price; LS trim would probably knock off a few grands.

the new chevy platform is the best usable truck with creature comforts. Hauls the most and keeps its composure doing so.

All aluminum F150 seems to be a decent option for ohio though. Just not a fan of how basic they are option wise.

Chrysler products are never considered in my world... too much rust/breakage.

Based on looks and hands-off impressions alone I would vote Chebby. Ford a close second. x2 on the Chrysler products....have always been amazed at the amount to new-body rams just rusting though already. Then again I cannot fathom dropping over 40 on something that is 2WD?! Maybe it is just my off-roading mentality.

I've been seeing tons of newer Chevy's rusting lately. Plus, even typical Chevy fanboys have been avoiding their trucks because of some new thing they added, I think cylinder deactivation.

Just going off the numbers posted here the Ford doesn't look like anything special, and I've always loathed Ford interiors. Probably doesn't apply here but a lot of people with the ecoboost trucks get a nasty miss when driving in rain, and Ford is trying like hell to pretend it isn't happening.

I'd go with the Ram. Just wash it from time to time.

Based on looks and hands-off impressions alone I would vote Chebby. Ford a close second. x2 on the Chrysler products....have always been amazed at the amount to new-body rams just rusting though already. Then again I cannot fathom dropping over 40 on something that is 2WD?! Maybe it is just my off-roading mentality.

OP is located in Houston, a TON of SUVs and trucks are 2WD in the south.

I'd go Ram for sure, I think their new offerings are fantastic. gf's dad has a Longhorn edition 1500 and that thing is awesome. No rust either.

I know it is not on the list but I've been considering a Nissan Frontier Quad cab for a while because manual transmission + 4x4 + base model crank windows + 4.0L v6 + MSRP 1/2 of anything mentioned above. But then again I am a fan of "small" trucks like the S-10 and the ranger. Trucks have not been exempt from the "bloat" that model refreshes that come around - most "midsize" trucks these days are bigger than a 1990s fullsize chevy 1500.

Then again - I imagine driving a girls truck in Texas would inspire your buddies to call you all variations of the word sissy. It's a real go big or go home bro trick state.

FWIW anything aluminum bodied is hugely expensive to fix. You can't just slap some filler on it and call it a day if you get a dent since most fillers won't take.

Ford. Best truck on the market in my opinion. The dodge diesels feel under powered for everyday driving.

I don't mind Chevy trucks as I've owned a couple now, but I just think Ford makes a superior truck. Add to that they are expecting the 15's to get close to 30mpg with gasoline, its a no brainier. I bet if you test drive the 3 for a couple days each, you'd take the Ford home.

I know it is not on the list but I've been considering a Nissan Frontier Quad cab for a while because manual transmission + 4x4 + base model crank windows + 4.0L v6 + MSRP 1/2 of anything mentioned above.

I'm a huge fan of those as well, but dealers knows those things are in high demand. Unmolested used ones with high miles routinely go for mid teens to mid $20k range whether they're modded to shit or totally stock. One of the best truck "investments" you can make.

I love my '14 F-150 and we considered both those options as well as the Nissan's and Toyota's. None of those held a candle to this IMO. I went 5.0L as well and it's done everything I've asked of it well. I tow a travel trailer and a ski boat fairly regularly. Been down through KY and WV hills without a hiccup and fair MPG in my mind.

Dodge

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2014-RAM-1500-Eco-Diesel-Laramie-Interior-002.jpg

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2014-RAM-1500-Eco-Diesel-Laramie-Interior-003.jpg

Chevy

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/roadtests/pickup/163_1312_2014_chevrolet_silverado_z71_double_cab_4x4_first_test/57367772/2014-chevrolet-silverado-z71-dash-view.jpg

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/roadtests/pickup/163_1312_2014_chevrolet_silverado_z71_double_cab_4x4_first_test/61717198/2014-chevrolet-silverado-z71-dash.jpg

Ford

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/trucks/1401_2015_ford_f_150_first_look/64810096/2015-ford-f-150---interior.jpg

http://image.motortrend.com/f/wot/1407_2015_ford_f_150_starts_at_26615_platinum_model_priced_from_52155/64912306/2015-ford-f-150-interior.jpg

• Upvote 1

Truck would be used primarily as a daily driver, hauling kids, house crap, and occasionally pulling my motorcycle to races. I don't need 4WD at all down in Texas and if I did or was moving north I'd get a RAPTOR! So back to the 2WD talk... :p

With that in mind I do like the Diesel in the RAM and people getting 25-30+ mpg when straight hwy driving. However, average on most of the fuel tracker sites show 22mph average across users. The only thing that concerns me is it's a Dodge and even though it's got great mileage, it's a complete dog in performance compared to the others. But again, for a DD it doesn't need to be fast whatsoever and dominates in mpg efficiency. Maybe tomorrow I will go test drive one and see.

I do like the Chevy a lot based on looks and the 6.2 engine and more interested in the 8-speed auto. However, it will be first year for that transmission and haven't heard much about it yet. Also, the 6.2 seems to be somewhat hard to come by and/or not much feedback by current owners on the main forums. What scares me to death is all the darn recalls and financial status of GM down the road. Otherwise, I like the truck size, interior, looks, performance, etc. Most are averaging 18-19mpg with them also.

I like everything about the new Ford but again, first year of new body-style and afraid to get a dud. It does have a nice interior and for sure the most gadgets and options of all of them. I do like that you can get the optional 33gal fuel tank as well. Most current 5.0 trucks average around 16-17mpg but that should improve a LOT with the 700lb weight loss.

I vote for the Dodge, but not with the nasty two tone brown interior pictured above. Go black interior IMO, that's what my dad just bought in his 2014 3500. Looks great.

Also, if I recall both the ecodiesel motor and the 8 speed are proven units in other models, just not together. Might take a bit of the"first year " uneasiness away if it were me.