Desktop Printer Recommendation

jeffro

Okay first off, i absolutely hate desktop printers. Theyre all junk from my experience and are expensive to maintain over long periods of time (buying printer toner and cartridges.)

That said, Are there any sub $50 printers that are actually worth buying? I don't need color so i imagine that brings the quality/$ up a bit. I prefer the toner printers as they tend to last a bit longer but are more expensive up front. My print volume is maybe a dozen pages a month. Mostly Ebay invoices and shipping labels. If i require any heavy duty printing i just do that at work or school where its free( for me at least hue hue.)

What does CR recommend? Lexmark is already out of the running.

yep. My son bought a Samsung when he was in High School. Has a network card in it so we didn't have to have it connected to a PC nearby and just run it off IP printing. It's a Black and White Laser. Printed off a bunch of stuff in the past few years and still haven't changed the toner yet.

Picked it up at Micro Center.

I personally like the HP lasers, but I don't have a good one to recommend at the price point you want. Inkjets are generally treated as disposable technology (unless we are talking wide format), as buying a full set of cartridges usually costs more than the printer.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/417859/Xpress_M2625D_Laser_Printer

Let me know if you want it so I can throw it on hold for you as it looks like there is only one. We have several to choose from, but for the price you're looking for not sure you can beat it. Newegg has the same printer for $130.

Yield on the cartridge is pretty good. It is important to note that this is not one of the wireless models. We generally have one or two lasers <$100 that are wireless if you wanted to shop through us.

Edited by 90G60

have you considered a laser printer?

as far as printers go, i have always been happy with my HP's- however i have been using my Canon MX870 for 3 years now, for photo prints/scanning/document printing with no issues.

Laser printer is the way to go. Samsung has one that goes for like 60 bucks new.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/417859/Xpress_M2625D_Laser_Printer

Let me know if you want it so I can throw it on hold for you as it looks like there is only one. We have several to choose from, but for the price you're looking for not sure you can beat it. Newegg has the same printer for $130.

PM sent. I was looking at as you commented.

I recently needed a printer. I don't ever print stuff so I wanted something cheap that was not a complete turd. I ended up picking up this guy, it's $80, but you might be able to find it cheaper somewhere.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/hp-envy-4500-e-all-in-one-printer

What I like about it is that it's wireless (no USB cable required), so I can just print stuff from my tablet or phone. Being an "all-in-one" is also nice.

That's actually the one I was looking at.

I recently needed a printer. I don't ever print stuff so I wanted something cheap that was not a complete turd. I ended up picking up this guy, it's $80, but you might be able to find it cheaper somewhere.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/hp-envy-4500-e-all-in-one-printer

What I like about it is that it's wireless (no USB cable required), so I can just print stuff from my tablet or phone. Being an "all-in-one" is also nice.

Specs are nice minus the fact that it uses ink cartridges instead of toner.

Ended up with the Samsung Linked above. Seems like a pretty solid device and so far i have pretty good expectations. Plug and play with windows 7... cant complain about that. Prints fast and quiet which is nice. Sucks about not having wireless, but i can fix that with a cheap print server.

Thanks goes to Matt for putting it aside for me.

Specs are nice minus the fact that it uses ink cartridges instead of toner.

Ended up with the Samsung Linked above. Seems like a pretty solid device and so far i have pretty good expectations. Plug and play with windows 7... cant complain about that. Prints fast and quiet which is nice. Sucks about not having wireless, but i can fix that with a cheap print server.

Thanks goes to Matt for putting it aside for me.

Glad it worked out!

That's actually the one I was looking at.

Sorry, I was looking at laser printers. If you're good with an inkjet, we have a few dozen color/wireless to choose from. Including the Envy 4500 linked above at the same price.

It is a good printer as long as you don't mind the cartridge system. Only thing I would recommend is thinking about whether you need copy/scan abilities. If you do, you should consider the 4630, which is basically the same printer that includes a 25 page tray that will feed the scanner. Comes in handy if you need to scan anything more than a single page or photo.

We have the 4630 at $99.99 right now, but we match newegg. They have it at $79.99 right now...

Sorry, I was looking at laser printers. If you're good with an inkjet, we have a few dozen color/wireless to choose from. Including the Envy 4500 linked above at the same price.

It is a good printer as long as you don't mind the cartridge system. Only thing I would recommend is thinking about whether you need copy/scan abilities. If you do, you should consider the 4630, which is basically the same printer that includes a 25 page tray that will feed the scanner. Comes in handy if you need to scan anything more than a single page or photo.

We have the 4630 at $99.99 right now, but we match newegg. They have it at $79.99 right now...

Is this new?

Is this new?

Nope. We consider them our biggest competitor. Best Buy is old news. If we page Biggu into this thread, he can brag about how he price matches on pretty much every transaction.

I will add that they are "manager discretion". Occasionally they have ridiculous sales that we can't touch.

I was looking at a laser but for my budget I may just have to get another inkjet. My hp isn't working out for me (5 years old)