How to catch a thief

Rocky31186

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you need a DVR software solution for your cameras, you can use "camera motion" when something crosses a made up geofence set with different sensitivity to text your cell phone when there is activity. I use synology.com for this and works with the most basic foscams

you need a DVR software solution for your cameras, you can use "camera motion" when something crosses a made up geofence set with different sensitivity to text your cell phone when there is activity. I use synology.com for this and works with the most basic foscams

My current camera system will do that. But after parking in the street and having eggs thrown at multiple cars (Eating my paint) I put my cameras to record 24/7. Because I had the street blocked for motion.

On a typical night there are 80-100 still images from when it detected motion. So to have even 30-40 images sent to my phone would be unreal.

My system will sound an alarm also if it detects motion but again with 1500+ motion detections in a day, That wouldnt work either.

activated older generation iPhone connected to the cloud with the app that takes a front facing pic and sends GPS coords to the cloud everytime someone unsucessfully tries to unlock it. leave it slightly hidden in the front of the truck with the door unlocked.

I do have an old Iphone 4 laying around..

I would love to catch one of these turds in the act. Take them into my basement at gun point. Tie them up. Then go to town with a blowtorch and some pliers.

My story would I was up late, decided to go out and buy a candy bar at the 7/11 a short drive and as I stepped outside was confronted by an individual in my driveway who came at me with a weapon in his hand. I was in fear for my life and I fired at him until the threat was neutralized. :masturboy:

My current camera system will do that. But after parking in the street and having eggs thrown at multiple cars (Eating my paint) I put my cameras to record 24/7. Because I had the street blocked for motion.

On a typical night there are 80-100 still images from when it detected motion. So to have even 30-40 images sent to my phone would be unreal.

My system will sound an alarm also if it detects motion but again with 1500+ motion detections in a day, That wouldnt work either.

Can you adjust the timer window for 2300-0500 for personal notification?

Or are you literally getting that many images during that time frame and more outside that window?

My story would I was up late, decided to go out and buy a candy bar at the 7/11 a short drive and as I stepped outside was confronted by an individual in my driveway who came at me with a weapon in his hand. I was in fear for my life and I fired at him until the threat was neutralized. :masturboy:

My way seems more gratifying... :gabe:

If you could find a way to kind of hide a pressure sensitive mat right beside the doors of your truck then that would be a more accurate way of detecting someone near your truck. Only way I can think of to hide one would be a door mat that looks like it is there to wipe your feet before entering the truck.

I am going to do more research on driveway or motion sensors. I guess a lot of people in the neighborhood got stuff stolen, even broken windows. One other person had photos and they were horrible.

Officer Mauck came out to look at my photos and video.

You need a better driveway sensor. I have one on my driveway. Something has to break the beam to set it off. You could always just walk around it, but the fucktards on your camera are not doing that. The only time I shut the system off is when we get snow so the plow doesn't wake me up, or when the lawn is getting mowed if I happen to be home which is rare. Otherwise, someone has to be coming up the driveway to set it off. The most shenanigans I get (thankfully) are jackasses literally driving their car up my driveway to take a closer look at my house.

I looked into this when I lived in Ohio and had a quarter mile long driveway. I got a great sensor that wired into my alarm and I set it up as a passive alarm that would simply chime when someone approached. It was capable of the extreme temps we get and had multiple detection beams plus a radar to help identify the size of the object moving to prevent false alarms caused by cats deer,etc.

Pm me and I'll try to get a model number or any more info.

I too would be interested in a solution similar to this for my parents. They haven't had an issue in a while, but they have a long driveway and a side load garage so there are really no windows that face the driveway. They also live near Pickerington, closer to Canal Winchester though.

Here's a link to mine, its a beast. It also requires a power wire so no dead battery in winter.

My big thing was, how well was it going to work when it got to -0 temps and this one worked perfectly fully exposed to -20 deg wind chills last winter. At my place we get a tone of deer traffic so tuning it to ignore them took a few days of adjustments.

http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=1347

Alarmax Distributors, Inc - Columbus, OH

Distributor

USA OHIO

2215 City Gate Drive, Suite C

Columbus, OH

United States

Phone: 614-476-4080

877-874-3306

Fax: 614-476-4180

Email: dsterling@alarmax.com

Edited by Mojoe

They all appear to be different people. The last one in the hat on Pickerington crime watch was caught on camera wearing the same outfit last weekend.

They all have been coming from the left of my house. One guy went across the street to the other house (he also has cameras) and then came back to my house.

Obviously none of us leave anything in our cars, but I've had broken windows and eggs.

Me personally, I wouldn't shoot someone for breaking into my car. Then again, I'm a Buddhist, we tend to let a lot of shit slide.

Me personally, I wouldn't shoot someone for breaking into my car. Then again, I'm a Buddhist, we tend to let a lot of shit slide.

I don't know that I would either. Keyboard talk is easy. However, I wouldn't be afraid of confronting them and if they had a weapon, I would defend myself and let the details get sorted out after.

Thankfully no one has bothered our cars. could be because the lights on the front of our house are damn bright and the neighbor across the street has a motion light that picks up a lot of things so if you walk in our driveway it turns on and would likely make someone think they are looking out the windows.

Dogs help too. Ours seem to always be sensitive to things and we do have motion sensors that go off causing them to bark. IMO better than cameras.

If you could find a way to kind of hide a pressure sensitive mat right beside the doors of your truck then that would be a more accurate way of detecting someone near your truck. Only way I can think of to hide one would be a door mat that looks like it is there to wipe your feet before entering the truck.

pressure mat connected to one of these...

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100907023850/deadliestfiction/images/d/df/Claymore2.jpg

I hate thieves.

pressure mat connected to one of these...

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100907023850/deadliestfiction/images/d/df/Claymore2.jpg

I hate thieves.

The problem with this would be the lack of good placement for the device, I didn't see anything suitable in the pictures.

I would however, say that there are enough members on this board that we could work in shifts to cut down on trespassers.

• Upvote 1

1. have you looked into dogs? I'm assuming you dont have any now and there might be a reason for that but it might be an alternative.

2. It seem's you're having a lot of false alerts, have you thought about changing the angle of the camera? Maybe to something that didn't show the street at all? of course this might be a bit hard to keep it hidden and you wouldn't be able to capture any vehicle's or license plates but your photos so far dont show any of that anyway?