Classic saab 900

Lauren

I have really wanted a quirky classic car and have always wanted a C900 Saab. I really want something to tinker with again and something that is different and a cruiser.

Over the weekend my wife and I went and looked at one and I liked it because it was rust free but hated it because it's an auto and non turbo. However I really wanted it. Fast forward to today and my wife came home from work and surprised me with the title and key. She went through my phone and contacted him to purchase it.

Went over and picked it up and drove it home. Has a few minor issues I will sort and over this shit tastic winter months I will pull the engine and trans and do a full turbo motor and manual trans swap on it as well as new Interior pieces and leather.

Here is a couple crappy pics for now

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee254/ca18det007/Mobile%20Uploads/9C5E356B-8C58-48B8-99F4-1DBA42047B0A_zpsk1enq5rg.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee254/ca18det007/Mobile%20Uploads/28F35235-C8DA-48A6-95A2-38B8FA6AF9DA_zpsfiwo7awr.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee254/ca18det007/Mobile%20Uploads/8A56BF7C-6BD9-4AEA-B3D5-76AC3CBD0900_zpsqi67hone.jpg

Congrats on the free Saab. Oddly I have driven about 6 or 7 of these cars including an SPS and a Turbo and at least one 99 and never owned one. They were the most popular student cheap car in Rochester NY for a while.

Personally if you are going to the stock turbo setup it isn't worth it unless you have a donor car. It's too expensive to do piecemeal and the difference stock for stock isn't anything to write home about. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but rather if it is a choice between stock and an upgrade, go with the upgrade.

fWIW Saab used to have some great 99 and 900 rally cars in the 70's and 80's.

I have a lined on a rusted out turbo car I'm using as a donor. The most important thing is swapping out the auto for a manual tranny. That's a must.

100% agree. These things aren't any fun to drive with autotragics.

here is some saab 900 rally awesomeness for this thread (and yes I know it is the rare 2 door coupe and not the hatchback):

3599386835_8bd438f8d6.jpg

and some awesome amateur rally cool:

http://www.specialstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/NEFR2010mexicjumpMaciejJaniak.jpg

if you haven't been here yet http://saabnet.com/ is an awesome resource. I scan the classifieds here once a week.

From all the reading I have done ' date=' the motors can take a shit ton of power it's the trans that is an issue.[/quote']

yeah even the manuals have a hard time stock with any kind of abuse. The joke my buddies had was "add 1 transmission every 100K miles". DOn't dump the clutch, don't drop the hammer from a standing start, and don't lug the engine and you'll get 150K out of one. Do any of those things and you'll get half the mileage. Have the manual out of your donor car rebuilt and a new clutch put in, it's just piece of mind.

reading this post got me thinking about the road trip I took in a buddy's 1989 navy blue 900s manual trans car from Rochester, NY to NYC to see Radiohead at Radio City music hall in 1998. I drove most of the way and that car just loved to eat up miles along Rt 17. One of the the things I remember most about that car was how much it felt like you were driving an old Cessna airplane down the street from the inside. We also spun that car pretty epically with 6 people jammed into it on a snowy Rochester night. Must have gone around 3 or 4 times on a long downhill grade but managed not to hit anything. Ah to be young and stupid again.

Is this the era where the drivetrain is installed in the car backwards?

yes the engine is "backwards" and the top of the transmission is the oil pan for the engine. the engine is only considered "backwards" because the power transmission from the crank to the tranny is at the front rather than the back.

Whaletail should be here this week. SPG body panels ordered. On the hunt for 9000 aero front and rear seats. Converting interior from blue to black. Momo oem saab steering wheel ordered as well.

Found a guy to do the turbo/manual swap for me. I just don't have time to get dirty and do it myself this winter.

Having a hard time deciding on wheels. And thoughts ? 16x7.5/8 +25ish is ideal.

Whaletail should be here this week. SPG body panels ordered. On the hunt for 9000 aero front and rear seats. Converting interior from blue to black. Momo oem saab steering wheel ordered as well.

Found a guy to do the turbo/manual swap for me. I just don't have time to get dirty and do it myself this winter.

Having a hard time deciding on wheels. And thoughts ? 16x7.5/8 +25ish is ideal.

Look for WV wheels and buy flex bolts from BBS like I did.