Settling a claim

WideOpenThrottle

Well a little while back I was rear ended. Totaling my Civic. Bent the floor pan. This was my first time dealing with all this crap. Nothing serious or over the top. Typical neck pain an ER visit for the whiplash and chiropractor visits. With 2900 in medical bills they offered a 4000 settlement. Does that sound right ? I thought it was suppose to be more? Or was I goven the wrong impression 25% of the medical coat? Has anyone been through a low settlement like this ? Any idea or input on what I should look to get. I hate to be screwed over. Thanks in advance

I was rear ended back in 2009 in my mustang. Same thing. Went in for whiplash. Their insurance covered the hospital bill (no idea how much it was) gave me a lousy 120 bucks for pain and suffering, and paid for the repairs to the vehicle.

1100 bucks seems good to me *shrugs*

I would ask for nothing over what is needed to honestly repair the damage (rehabilitating therapy, etc.) and I sure as hell wouldn't sign a document saying all is well if you feel it is not. If it is, move on. Accidents happen and the world owes you nothing.

I would ask for nothing over what is needed to honestly repair the damage (rehabilitating therapy, etc.) and I sure as hell wouldn't sign a document saying all is well if you feel it is not. If it is, move on. Accidents happen and the world owes you nothing.

This.

I'm still trying to get my reimbursements for medical bills from accident from 2 yrs ago. (also rear ended) I have a herniated disc and opted out of surgery to just deal with it. I know if i need to go for surgery in the future, it will be on me. But i sure as heck hope they pay me for the out of pocket expenses that i already did. I had to have 3 cortizone shots for my herniated disc. That helped most of the pain i was feeling. I just have to deal with the rest as i'm not ready to go in for fusion just yet. The insurance company is doing checks on on my doctor's visits back years ago, just to make sure this was not an issue i had prior to this accident. I am ok with that, but it's taking way too long.

-D

Back in the day is used to be about 3x medical expenses. So, 1/3 goes to lawyer, 1/3 goes to med bills, 1/3 goes in your pocket, but my understanding is that is no longer standard practice. If you feel you have legit ongoing issues, say f u and keep the med claim open and seek the treatment you need.

How did the vehicle total loss aspect of your claim go?

They won't pay ANY bills until you reach a settlement with them that includes them paying for the bills. They also won't pay for ALL the bills if the injury doesn't justify them. The 3x rule is no longer standard to my knowledge.

I was in this scenario a few years ago. I got their offer. I then went to an accident lawyer. He said he would take 1/3 of any EXTRA amount he got for me.

You can't just stop there...did he get you anything extra? If so what? If you're not comfortable providing numbers at least put it in percentages so we can grasp what good they did/didn't do for you.

You can't just stop there...did he get you anything extra? If so what? If you're not comfortable providing numbers at least put it in percentages so we can grasp what good they did/didn't do for you.

He got roughly 20% more. My case is only my case, mileage will vary.