Battery powered weed wacker/blowers...recommendations/cautions?

Bam

I've been using gas powered for years but recently have seen the new electric ones at the stores and with recent issues on my current stuff thinking about making the switch. I've got like .25 acre in the city and only use each of these machines a handful of times per year for maybe 10 minutes at a time. Anyone have experience with them and recommendations on what to buy?

For your needs, Pick a cheap one and use it as a disposable. Batteries fade with time and disuse. The same way 2 cycle engines are not reliable with infrequent use. If you were using it daily, weekly, or in a 'professional' capacity, the vote would be to get a quality gas powered unit. Shit, you can probably get one for $75-$100 and it will be good for 4-5 years of infrequent usage. You're talking about using it for 100 minutes per year, for 5 years. It only has to last 500 minutes.

I bought a WORX kit for $120 from some online sale site. It came with a weedwhacker, leaf blower, hedge trimmer, and one battery with a charger. The battery lasted about a year before barely being able to hold a charge, and a new battery costs about $80.

I have the ryobi one as well. Had it 3 years and works great. I have the matching leaf blower too so it give me a spare battery. About the only thing I do as a caution is let batteries cool before charging and unplug the charger when finished. Lithium batteries don't like heat. These tools also give no warning they are about to die like NiCa batteries.

I bought a WORX kit for $120 from some online sale site. It came with a weedwhacker, leaf blower, hedge trimmer, and one battery with a charger. The battery lasted about a year before barely being able to hold a charge, and a new battery costs about $80.

what kinda battery? If it's ni-cad (this sometimes works with ni-mh too but meh) crystals form inside the batteries (the memory effect blahblah) internally shorting them. You can blow these crystals up by hooking the battery up to something bigger...like a car battery... for about 1 second. Positive to positive, negative to negative. Battery will work like new for a bit :)

It's an 18V ni-cd. There are 2 neg and one pos connectors in the shape of a standard "D" power cord (desktop, crt monitor, etc). I was about to buy a new battery anyways, so the worst that'll do is fry this one and I'll have to.... buy a new battery.

If you can reach with a 100' cord, a plug-in one is great. I beat the heck out of a $30 one for 2 years in SC (Homelite from Home Depot). Trimmed and edged that pesky centipede grass weekly with it. Just got a $50 Black and Decker this year from Lowes since I wanted the edging wheel. Does the job well enough and you dont have to worry about having a charged battery.

I have a toro my old neighbor in Dayton gave me because he couldn't get it to work anymore. I reset the breaker and fired it up! I offered it back but he said I fixed it, it's mine. Either way, I've had it for over 10 years and I've only replaced the battery once I believe. I replaced the original charger with a proper sealed lead acid battery tender and no problems since.

I have the black and decker 20 volt lithium. It came with 2 batteries and I can usually edge and trim my whole drive and fence line on 1 battery (20 min) about of use if it slows I swap the battery and finish. Lithium batteries will last much longer and have more power. I paid about 90 bucks for mine at lowes I think.

Thanks for all the input.

I ended up buying a combo kit today so it's charging and I hope to give it a try tomorrow depending on the weather. Was very easy to put together so hope it works good. If not there's a 30 day return policy so I can just return it and buy some new gas stuff.

Will report back.

I have the black and decker 20 volt lithium. It came with 2 batteries and I can usually edge and trim my whole drive and fence line on 1 battery (20 min) about of use if it slows I swap the battery and finish. Lithium batteries will last much longer and have more power. I paid about 90 bucks for mine at lowes I think.

I have this one. I really like it. Light and easy to use. I have the blower too, but they dont call it a blower, they call it a "air sweeper". I usually use it to clear the garage, garage driveway and sidewalks. Some very light leaf use, but typically borrow my neighbors stihl blower once a year for leaves

Bought the Black & Decker with the 40V battery with the auto feeder. I do not miss the gas or beating the hell out of the bottom of it to get the line to feed.

LST136R-40V - $80 refurbed through Amazon

I used it about 10 times this year and would suggest a spare battery (I mow / weed eat about a half an acre). Plenty of power and no issues with mixing gas or being out. (Just need to keep the battery in the charged).

If it holds up OK I will be buying the 40 volt blower and give it a shot (Both my weed eater and blower are / were showing their age).

Btw no battery powered blower is worth a dam. My neighbor has the 40 volt one and it is a joke.

The ryobi one? My dad just bought the 40v trimmer and blower. Both are amazing. The trimmer is just as powerful as gas, sounds amazing when you start the blower up. I have the 18v stuff and its good for my small yard but not for blowing piles of leaves, just small stuff off the sidewalk.

It has great ratings on here.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-155-mph-300-CFM-40-Volt-Lithium-ion-Cordless-Jet-Fan-Blower-Battery-and-Charger-Not-Included-RY40402A/204839367?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cBase&gclid=CKHb7_b-z8ECFc1AMgodJhEALQ&gclsrc=aw.ds