CR Bourbon/Drinking Crew

Stallion Motorsports1647545491

I gave up on Coors Light for the weekend, anyone had this before, or any of the Van Winkle line?

Obvious brag post is obvious...#potatophoto

http://rs815.pbsrc.com/albums/zz71/stallionmotor/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141112_134717_zpsce742379.jpg~320x480

I gave up on Coors Light for the weekend, anyone had this before, or any of the Van Winkle line?

Obvious brag post is obvious...#potatophoto

http://rs815.pbsrc.com/albums/zz71/stallionmotor/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141112_134717_zpsce742379.jpg~320x480

About the only thing i would break my no drinking policy for.

Is it hard to get? Or expensive or something?

Incredibly hard to get and ridiculously expensive.

Only a few cases produced annually...bottles of the 23yr that make it to the open market typically sell for $800-3000 EACH.

MSRP is $250 a bottle and people will pay crazy prices for them. The younger bottles sell for less and are all delicious...but the 23 is the best you will ever drink.

-Marc

Incredibly hard to get and ridiculously expensive.

Only a few cases produced annually...bottles of the 23yr that make it to the open market typically sell for $800-3000 EACH.

MSRP is $250 a bottle and people will pay crazy prices for them. The younger bottles sell for less and are all delicious...but the 23 is the best you will ever drink.

-Marc

And yet I'd venture a guess that 50% of the people who buy it couldn't tell the difference between that and Jack Daniels in a blind test.

Working in a wine/beer/liquor store taught me many things, but the main thing is that people tend to taste with their wallet rather than their palate.

And yet I'd venture a guess that 50% of the people who buy it couldn't tell the difference between that and Jack Daniels in a blind test.

Working in a wine/beer/liquor store taught me many things, but the main thing is that people tend to taste with their wallet rather than their palate.

I 100% agree with you. Same goes for wine snobs. I can tell you that my favorite bottle of wine will only set you back $18 and I have been lucky enough to sample $1000 bottles of wine and thought they were disgusting. It is all personal choice.

Edit** I also love how some people get truly offended when you call Jack a bourbon. :lol:

-Marc

I've heard unicorn stories of that.

I've been all over the spectrum of whiskey and bourbon and keep coming back to the $20 90-100 proof bottles.

It's cool to say you've shared $$$ booze with your buddies or for a special occasion, but the taste/$ ratio just isn't there.

I 100% agree with you. Same goes for wine snobs. I can tell you that my favorite bottle of wine will only set you back $18 and I have been lucky enough to sample $1000 bottles of wine and thought they were disgusting. It is all personal choice.

Edit** I also love how some people get truly offended when you call Jack a bourbon. :lol:

-Marc

I grew up in a Portuguese family. You want to sample the best Portugal has to offer IMO? Skip the Port wines. Go to Trader Joe's and pick up a bottle of Espiral Vinho Verde. It used to be $3/bottle, though it's occasionally more now (maybe up to $5). It's a light, tart, lightly carbonated green (technically white) wine that pairs perfectly with BBQ fish and meats. It's very refreshing on a hot summer day. And no one in their right mind will ever claim that they'd rather have a $50 Bordeaux instead, unless they look down their nose so far that they wouldn't notice if it was shoved up their own ass.

I grew up in a Portuguese family. You want to sample the best Portugal has to offer IMO? Skip the Port wines. Go to Trader Joe's and pick up a bottle of Espiral Vinho Verde. It used to be $3/bottle, though it's occasionally more now (maybe up to $5). It's a light, tart, lightly carbonated green (technically white) wine that pairs perfectly with BBQ fish and meats. It's very refreshing on a hot summer day. And no one in their right mind will ever claim that they'd rather have a $50 Bordeaux instead, unless they look down their nose so far that they wouldn't notice if it was shoved up their own ass.

Nice! I will definitely check it out. Thanks! :cool:

-Marc

Is it similar to Famega? I don't usually care for whites, but I really like Famega with a good chicken, pasta with white sauce, or seafood meal in the summer.

For bourbons, I cant usually tell the differences between them. I like woodford, makers, knob creek, oyo. Probably couldnt tell you the dif in a blind test.

Scotches are different. There is huge variation depending where they are from. I like Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, and a few others. I HATE Johnny Walker with a passion. In regards to Irish, I haven't had a ton, but bushmills 10yr single malt is my favorite, and if I had to choose one whiskey to have for the rest of my life, it would be that, or glenlivet 15yr french oak.

Is it similar to Famega? I don't usually care for whites, but I really like Famega with a good chicken, pasta with white sauce, or seafood meal in the summer.

Famega is the same type of wine, yeah. I've never had it so I can't say they taste the same but most Vinho Verdes do taste very similar.

I said this on here 2 years ago and I will say it again. 50 bucks for a bottle of JW Black blended scotch is all I'll ever need. Then again, I've not tasted scotch that costs more than 200 (have had JW blue). But, I assume this pappy/rip/rob van winkle stuff is good... But like most rare things... It really becomes a game of exclusivity more then a game of happiness. I can buy a years supply of JW Black for what one of these bottles Msrp...

Case in point, there are rare cigars out there that people do this very same thing to and I'm sure they are great... Question is... Is a rare 80.00 dollar cigar 5 times better than a 16.00 dollar Padron... Doubt it!

I said this on here 2 years ago and I will say it again. 50 bucks for a bottle of JW Black blended scotch is all I'll ever need. Then again, I've not tasted scotch that costs more than 200 (have had JW blue). But, I assume this pappy/rip/rob van winkle stuff is good... But like most rare things... It really becomes a game of exclusivity more then a game of happiness. I can buy a years supply of JW Black for what one of these bottles Msrp...

Case in point, there are rare cigars out there that people do this very same thing to and I'm sure they are great... Question is... Is a rare 80.00 dollar cigar 5 times better than a 16.00 dollar Padron... Doubt it!

When I worked at the liquor store in Boston I was allowed to try a sip from a $10k bottle of 1948 Armagnac (not sure brand) and...yeah it was good but the only reason you'd ever buy it is to tell people you have a $10k bottle of Armagnac. It wasn't THAT good.

I'd rather have something that I like that I won't feel bad about killing the bottle in a sitting. I'd still like to try the bourbon in question though :)

Famega is the same type of wine, yeah. I've never had it so I can't say they taste the same but most Vinho Verdes do taste very similar.

Have you tried Casal Garcia Vinho Verde?...not a big price point, but a great summer drinking wine for the price.

Tom