Why all the haters of the 40 cal?

Mace1647545504

When looking at armslist you see a lot of people want to trade for just about anything BUT 40 cal. I understand a smaller framed gun can be a bit snappy but I have a g32 converted to a 40 and my wife all 5'4" and 135 shot it and loved it.

I have a S&W 40 shoots great I don't think it that bad and I just traded for a Gen4 g22 (which I will shoot next week).

So anyway just looking for thoughts.

Thanks

Mace

Ballistics of modern .40 VS modern 9mm self defense ammo is nearly identical. 9mm in the same size frame allows higher capacity, and ammo is cheaper.

But then why from everything I've read seems as though police perfer them and the 40 is said to be a better self defense cartridge than the nine.

I think 40's are fine and I have shot several. I don't own any because most of what I like is made in 9 or 45 and its easier than adding another caliber. A friend loves 40 and the last time ammo became hard to find, he could always find it. That alone was reason for him to own that caliber. Buy what you like, shoot what you like.

Have p99 in .40sw and I love it. 9mm would just be too easy and boring to shoot.

I have handloads that make it feel like less than a 9mm, and some that make it feel like a mild 357 (noise, too) and it's not a problem to handle. I am in no way a big guy either.

I don't get the hate. If you think its too snappy, maybe you should start jerking off dudes with bigger dicks.

I really want a 10mm

Ballistics of modern .40 VS modern 9mm self defense ammo is nearly identical. 9mm in the same size frame allows higher capacity, and ammo is cheaper.

I've always heard this. Always have also heard that if you can't kill it with a well placed 9MM round, it may not die....

But then why from everything I've read seems as though police perfer them and the 40 is said to be a better self defense cartridge than the nine.

Police use whatever is given to them at a super steep discount by whatever manufacturer is trying to push guns out the door that day, then sold Winchester Ranger T's that are very hard for us peasants to get. Texas was running .357 SIG and was talking of switching to 9mm, not sure if they went through with it or not. Ohio Highway Patrol uses Sigs, I think still in .40. Many other state police forces use .357 SIG. CPD carries M&Ps in .40 because S&W discontinued the .45 guns they issued for 15 years, and that was the closest thing to what they'd been using.

Simply stating that .40 is a better self defense cartridge than whatever else is leaving a lot out. I would never say that .40 ball is better than 9mm Ranger T, or even one of the older hollowpoints like a Hydrashok. If you take a 9mm and .40 of the exact same brand and model, you will see a very small edge to the .40. But is it enough to overcome higher capacity, lower price, and an easier to shoot round? Not really. If you don't care about a higher capacity or price then you would get something better than either, like the .357 SIG or even a 10mm. .40 just doesn't really make sense, unless you simply like it. Hard to argue with that.

Price for the 10/357 sig and 40 look very similar. So I'm guessing it more preference than anything

Thank to all

mace

Pretty much this.

I'm primarily 9mm in everything I own. It's nice to only have to buy one caliber, and its a caliber that can be found anywhere from sub compact all the way to full size. I do have a couple .380's for deep concealment but they don't get shot often, and a 1911 in .45 that is a range toy and nothing more. At this point I'd almost consider trading it for a 9mm 1911 but that just wouldn't feel right.

9mm, .40 and .45 are all worthless for barrier penetration. .45 isn't the best for penetrating clothing. .357 SIG is pretty good for barrier penetration, and 10mm is just a big nasty round, without getting into rounds designed for revolvers. If you are in a situation where a 9mm isn't enough, then a .40 isn't enough, and a .45 isn't enough, and you need to move to a rifle.

First time I shot a .40 it was hard to hit the paper. I guess it was because I thought it would be like a 9mm. First time I shot 10mm the whole magazine was center mass. Could of been the guns I used but the 10 felt much better. I almost bought one that day but I didn't like the ammo prices.

I am still on the fence if 9mm is really necessary for carrying.