Best Performance Motors Ever

wagner

So as I was writing last night I got to thinking about a list of the best performance motors ever. Most of the writing I do is drag racing based and I cover both import and domestic so I get to see all kinds of crazy combos.

I will get this started with my top 4. These are all production block based, no after market blocks.

LSX Engine Series: These things can be just about whatever you need, drag racing, road racing, on road, off road, if you have the money it can be built, boosted, NA, nitrous, and do it well.

2JZ Engine Series: Another amazing motor that can do a ton of stuff well. It eats boost like fat girls eat cup cakes, can take a beating, and has been put in about everything except Hanna Montana

The Rotary: I'm sorry but I have a little spot in my heart for the black magic the rotary offers. When built right they sound like the devil's flute at full tilt, make huge power for what they are, and shoot giant gorilla flames.

The Hemi: An engine that is pretty much America's big red white and blue middle finger to the rest of the world. Its really only good at making dyno breaking power and making pigs of cars go fast but its big old truck stop tits bad ass.

So, if you had to pick 4 what would they be and why?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would probably find Mitsubishi's 4g63 (or 64) on that list somewhere. I find it impressive that they can be built to be over 1k hp in a little 4 banger, and it takes to the boosts in a simmilar fashion as the jz motors. Before you claim reliability problems, that's not as much the engine as Mitsu deciding to use glass synchros in the manual gearboxes (besides Waggs has the rotary listed up there :gabe:).

Otherwise I would have a similar list as above minus the rotary for me. While they can be great performance engines (look at what Puerto Rico does with em), the bang for the buck just isn't there like it is for the rest of them.

LSX, no question.

after that I'm so biased towards the LS motor I don't know what to say.

I've always had a thing for the Viper V10

and I love the way quick revving V12 exotics sound by the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini.

I personally think that an old Ford 302 is crap, the damn things break in half when you make power, now a Boss block 302 is worth mentioning as a bad ass small block Ford.

The only one I know anything about to have an opinion, is the rotary. It's right for me and I love it for all that you listed. But, it just isn't what people want, and the understanding of it isn't there. If your list was for unusual unique power, it would have my vote.

Guess it depends on the pedigree you are considering.

Porsche's Mezger Engine (GT1 Block) is probably the most successful race engine of the modern era. It was born and bred a motorsport engine and used in street cars for homologation rules. This engine has been in every GT3 / GT2 and Turbo produced since 1999 with it's run officially ending in 2012...though it was still used in the Porsche factory race cars through the end of 2013.

In the GT3 variants the differences between race engine and street engine were minimal with the street engine retaining even titanium connecting rods from the race engine along with a true dry sump oiling system. Power levels in the street cars were only down 5-10% from the race engines with the main differences being camshafts and a slight variation in the heads to optimize flow.

In street form this engine first showed up in the 1999 GT3 in Europe producing 360hp out of a 3.6L engine that would rev to 8000rpm.

It's last iteration in a street car the motor had grown to 4.0L, produced 500hp and would rev to 8600rpm.

Because it was developed as a race motor it has proven to be extremely robust as a street motor. You won't see Mezger turbo motors as serious drag racers however there are several tuners out there making good, reliable power with them just not on the level of some of the other platforms for drag racing

Ferrari's flat-12 (Berlinetta, Testarossa, et al) is one of the sexiest sounding motors ever produced.

sound doesnt create power, power creates sound...

But I agree still cant beat the tone of a v12 of high rpm

can we go as far as to say the c7r? and other blocks as such or are we considering that aftermarket?

I had no idea about these motors, sound pretty legit. A good road racing or circle track motor has to be built in a way that it can take a whore punch to the mouth and live to tell the tale.

Guess it depends on the pedigree you are considering.

Porsche's Mezger Engine (GT1 Block) is probably the most successful race engine of the modern era. It was born and bred a motorsport engine and used in street cars for homologation rules. This engine has been in every GT3 / GT2 and Turbo produced since 1999 with it's run officially ending in 2012...though it was still used in the Porsche factory race cars through the end of 2013.

In the GT3 variants the differences between race engine and street engine were minimal with the street engine retaining even titanium connecting rods from the race engine along with a true dry sump oiling system. Power levels in the street cars were only down 5-10% from the race engines with the main differences being camshafts and a slight variation in the heads to optimize flow.

In street form this engine first showed up in the 1999 GT3 in Europe producing 360hp out of a 3.6L engine that would rev to 8000rpm.

It's last iteration in a street car the motor had grown to 4.0L, produced 500hp and would rev to 8600rpm.

Because it was developed as a race motor it has proven to be extremely robust as a street motor. You won't see Mezger turbo motors as serious drag racers however there are several tuners out there making good, reliable power with them just not on the level of some of the other platforms for drag racing

Well, since 2003 the best performance engine of the year as either been a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche or Ferrari.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Engine_of_the_Year

(Look at the bottom for the different categories)

BMW is killing it with engine awards. 63 total, where the next runner up is VAG with 34 awards.

Wankel FTW! the 3 rotor has such an amazing sound.

Agreed on the SB Chevy/LSx being #1 Cheap reliable power. It's the only engine I can think of that you can say that but I'm no engine expert.

Fan of the Yamaha 3.0L V6 in the 89-95 Taurus SHO

I'll go again the grain here and give Honda some credits for their B18c 1.8L DOHC VTEC engine. Love or hate it, that engine blew up the import scene in the mid to late 90'. Some of the import Honda FWD drag cars still utilize this engine today.

And of course the LSx series and the 2jz.

I'll go again the grain here and give Honda some credits for their B18c 1.8L DOHC VTEC engine. Love or hate it, that engine blew up the import scene in the mid to late 90'. Some of the import Honda FWD drag cars still utilize this engine today.

And of course the LSx series and the 2jz.

I would say the k-series and Nissan RB's could be up there also.

1. LSX - no explanation needed i think

2. Ford 302 - for 220hp from the factory this thing was a beast

3. GM 3.8 V6 - BOOOOOOOOOOOOST

4. 2JZ - BOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Same here but swap the hemi for the 302.

The coyote motor along with the ecoboost get an honorable mention. I got respect for the mad dorito but it doesn't seem to have a following or longevity like the chebby 350.

I would say the k-series and Nissan RB's could be up there also.

No. RB's shit the bed when you throw power at them

Bottom line, you can make anything "take power" with aftermarket parts. The good ones 5.3/LS series and 2jz do it with all stock internals. Hell Alex was running a stock bottom end with cams and springs making 800 to the wheels.

5.3L junkyard motors take up to 700 or so stock.

That defines a good "OE motor" the 4G63 and F20c engines are also beasts in stock form. Many folks running over 500whp with all stock internals.