1995 olds 88 running rough on cold start

pontiacfreak142

It started about a week ago, but didnt do it every time. Over the week it has gotten a little worse and more consistant. Feels like a multiple cylinder misfire. It doesnt last long either, ususally put it in gear and it will still feel sluggish at first, then just goes away seconds later.

If it matters, it is losing some coolant, the oil checks out fine though. Any ideas?

Engine is a series 2 3800

The intake gaskets sucking some air until it starts to get warm will cause that, don't really see it on a 3800s as that's more common on trucks. Does it crank normal?

Thats the thing, it doesnt even have to get warm. Like this morning, i fired it up, ran rough, put it in reverse anyway, backed out of spot, put it in drive, missed for a few seconds, then just cleared up, all within a minute of starting it

Possible head gasket. Coolant leaking in to the cylinders would cause misfire until it is pushed out.a small leak would clear out in a matter of seconds and then run normal again.

Thats what i feared. im gonna try to fire it up here in a bit and see if i tell anything from the exaust. I already sprayed down/cleaned up the normal exterior spots where it leaks to just to make sure

Sounds to me like when it sits the coolant leaks down into a cylinder, when you start it it misfires until the chamber is clear.

Are you loosing coolant?

Yea its deffinately the intake, the mis is getting bad today, losing a good bit of coolant and while sitting at a light i could smell burning coolant as well as a huge cloud of white smoke behind me

The intake gaskets sucking some air until it starts to get warm will cause that, don't really see it on a 3800s as that's more common on trucks. Does it crank normal?

This is wrong...the 3800 intakes will fail as the gasket material is not compatible with the red coolant. It causes the gasket to break down then catastrophic failure occurs and the engine locks up. Also, the plastic intake or the elbows fail.

When you replace, buy the metal elbows.

mace

This is wrong...the 3800 intakes will fail as the gasket material is not compatible with the red coolant. It causes the gasket to break down then catastrophic failure occurs and the engine locks up. Also, the plastic intake or the elbows fail.

When you replace, buy the metal elbows.

mace

Already did the metal elbows a while back so its not those lol. Gonna take the intake off in the morning