PLEX.tv

Mensan

https://plex.tv/

What is it?

Plex is an app that you can install which will allow you to organize your own media in an easily playable manner. You can also share/view libraries with friends.

Why do I care?

This program is pretty amazing with the way it displays the information stored on your computer. In addition, I have the app installed on my phone, so I have access to all media on my home computer (or my friends' computers) whenever I leave, allowing me to stream video wherever I am. It connects with other devices so that I can cast to a chromecast or smart TV, and I will be streaming video directly from home.

I can share my library with friends, who will also have the ability to view my library and stream movies or TV shows.

It's REALLY easy to set up, and free (There's a fee to put it on your phone). Here's some nerd talking about it (skip to 3:00):

I've been running plex since it was beta at home, it's pretty tits nowadays.

You can create accounts for people and they can use it remotely from their XBOX/ PC/ Roku Etc. Also streams very well to mobile platforms.

I was at a friends house a couple weeks ago. Installed the client, put in the password and BOOM, my whole library is available on his XBOX and it streamed flawlessly.

Not sure if the video mentions this... if you didn't know, many cable TV boxes (Like with WOW Ultra) can see your plex server and play it right on your TV without running any TV apps or other BS.

For wow ultra, hit MENU on your remote, go over to connected devices, then select your Plex server.

So where do the libraries come from? Do you have to go and download them manually?

I still advocate XBMC (Now kodi) with plugins. Anything you could ever imagine is ready to be streamed, free of charge. 1000X better than netflix or hulu combined.

For wow ultra, hit MENU on your remote, go over to connected devices, then select your Plex server.

Mind. Blown.

Have to try this when I get home tonight.

I've been using Plex ever since I bought a Roku a few years ago.

I too have been using it since it was beta. First started streaming my music from a server I have. Now have hundreds of movies on it too. I haven't used any of our BluRay players for months since.

It does stream perfectly too. Works on both our Roku and Amazon Fire Sticks sets. Amazon comes through with a nicer interface but both get the job done.

I have an iPad Air that I put on the wall with a BT Speaker both mounted right above our Treadmill/Elliptical area in the lower level. Now I can be active and watch a movie or show at the same time streaming away the lbs and movies.

I even let my brother in law in Oregon tap into my server to stream content. Very cool indeed.

i have a 8TB Plex Server setup in the basement.

LOVE IT!

Amateur...

http://i.imgur.com/p9oiA0Zl.jpg

I run both plex and subsonic. While plex is awesome for TVs, subsonic is meant to be a web server that allows multiple users to access whatever content libraries you set up at customizable bitrates.

Not sure if the video mentions this... if you didn't know, many cable TV boxes (Like with WOW Ultra) can see your plex server and play it right on your TV without running any TV apps or other BS.

I'm not seeing "connected devices" :confused:

I see Home Connect>Search for Media Servers, but it doesn't find it.

I See Netflix and Streamland but under Streamland, I don't see a Plex App option either.

So where do the libraries come from? Do you have to go and download them manually?

I still advocate XBMC (Now kodi) with plugins. Anything you could ever imagine is ready to be streamed, free of charge. 1000X better than netflix or hulu combined.

It depends. There are channels that you can watch on Plex without needing to download anything. They are adding more all the time:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200109616-Channels

BUT, for television or movie libraries, you would either need the content on your server or have friends who do. I have a combination of downloaded/ripped movies and shows.

I started a couple weeks ago to convert my 3tb server to a Plex server....for some odd reason during setup it was asking me to connect to something like 127.0.0.1:localhost, which I know is my IP but didn't shit happen.

Been using it for a year or so. Was using tversity before that.

Had been using chromecast to stream it all but sometimes the android app is flaky.

The Firestick I got seems to work fine and the remote is super nice compared to using the phone.

So for you guys that share your library.... Do you notice it slows your internet down if someone is watching/streaming a movie? I only have 15mbps with 1mbps up service. I would consider sharing with some of my friends if I knew it wouldn't slow me down.

fyi. theres a reddit thread where guys share libraries if you are looking to add content.

Been using it for a year or so. Was using tversity before that.

Had been using chromecast to stream it all but sometimes the android app is flaky.

The Firestick I got seems to work fine and the remote is super nice compared to using the phone.

So for you guys that share your library.... Do you notice it slows your internet down if someone is watching/streaming a movie? I only have 15mbps with 1mbps up service. I would consider sharing with some of my friends if I knew it wouldn't slow me down.

Does your router allow for bandwidth configuration? My ASUS allows me to configure the amount of bandwidth for various uses and IP Addresses.

I just put in a cheapy tp-link N router. If the stock firmware doesn't allow it i can install something else. I guess I don't know how much is needed to stream at decent quality is my question.

OpenWRT might be worth looking into. Allows you to wipe the firmware on certain devices and install OpenWRT, a custom linux based routing os/firmware. Would allow you to set upload limits i imagine.

https://openwrt.org/

WOW + Plex... here is the area in the menu to go to:

If you have a computer running plex, and other devices can see your plex library, it should show up there.

My setup

[media server]-----cat6----->ethernetjack1[WOW ULTRA BOX]ethernetjack2<------[wireless router]

(I do not have my computer wired to my wireless router, it goes right into the wow box which is a router itself)

These are my sharing settings. I don't think I did anything else to get it to work:

http://i.imgur.com/OMnWknpl.png

WOW + Plex... here is the area in the menu to go to:

If you have a computer running plex, and other devices can see your plex library, it should show up there.

My setup

[media server]-----cat6----->ethernetjack1[WOW ULTRA BOX]ethernetjack2<------[wireless router]

(I do not have my computer wired to my wireless router, it goes right into the wow box which is a router itself)

These are my sharing settings. I don't think I did anything else to get it to work:

http://i.imgur.com/OMnWknpl.png

^^ I follow the above but I don't use the WOW Box as my router. Instead I have my cable going into my Router then into my Computer. My main computer is hardwired into the router, the rest are wireless. My main Roku is hardwired too.

The Plex Server still isn't showing. Any tips?

• 2 weeks later...