Broken iPad screen repair?

zeitgeist57

My keeds decided that the law of gravity wouldn't apply if they let go of our iPad Mini halfway through SpongeBob.

Is there anyone on the board who can do a full screen replacement, or refer a shop who can cheaply? There's a spot next to Johnny B's on Bethel Road that apparently is a good deal. Would be happy giving business to CR. Thanks!

Do it yourself. Watch YouTube and get the parts from ebay. It's not too bad to do.

This was my first thought when I cracked the screen on my iPhone 4 a few years ago. But here's what I discovered.

The eBay parts kit ran about $88 for everything I needed to do it. The local shops that do the job for you charged a little over $100 out the door. My time was worth more than $12, so I just let it go.

iPads are different since they are a more costly item, being as how they are not subsidized by the cellular provider. So if it were my tablet, I'd check the DIY costs first, and go from there. The job indeed really isn't bad; it's just whether or not your time is worth it.

Let us know what ends up happening!

This was my first thought when I cracked the screen on my iPhone 4 a few years ago. But here's what I discovered.

The eBay parts kit ran about $88 for everything I needed to do it. The local shops that do the job for you charged a little over $100 out the door. My time was worth more than $12, so I just let it go.

iPads are different since they are a more costly item, being as how they are not subsidized by the cellular provider. So if it were my tablet, I'd check the DIY costs first, and go from there. The job indeed really isn't bad; it's just whether or not your time is worth it.

Let us know what ends up happening!

Great tip. Where I'm at, typical repairs seem much more costly that a DIY is more often than not the best option. If there were a place that was more competitive, I'd certainly opt to let them do it. However, I don't want my nudes leaked all over so........... :gabe:

I've done a couple iPad screens (I don't remember which generation). We used a set of tools called an iOpener that we picked up online. They had a full video and instructions.

First was microwaving a long bean bag and laying it on the edge of the iPad to loosen the glue, then we worked guitar picks around the edge to lift the screen. We had to worry about cutting the WIFI antenna and the digitizer cable. Once it was loose it came off okay. On ours the screen itself was not broken, just the digitizer (glass touch panel over the screen). It was a bit of a pain in the butt, but it wasn't aweful.

This looks similar to the kit we used, but updated and newer.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/iOpener/IF145-198