Direct TV... Do I switch?

Putty

I have u-verse now. Lady told me $100 month for 24, locked. At the end of contract play the retention game to stay low.. What's the story with satellite these days.? I had it years ago and during storms, snow... Forget about it. She told me new dishes are Teflon coated and nothing sticks to them which makes them fine in storms. She also said since att bought direct TV there's no fees to cancel and switch. Everything she said was better than what I have.

We have direct tv and can't complain. They are still full of shady just like alllllll tv companies are but we wanted lots of channels, hd, dvr, and cheap so I'm cool with the 45/mo. Should anyone actually switch and want to do the 'refer a friend' let me know and we can both save $100. As for equipment our dish is old so their is probably newer tech out there. Ours has issues in heavy rain storms but we just switch to the dvr or on demand at that point. They also shield covers you can use to prevent that.

Had directv when we first moved to Columbus in 2012. During storms no tv service. They have by far the best picture and nfl package was awesome. With that said we switched to time warner. Directv tries to rape you with hidden fees not to mention you still have to use someone else for internet. We switched to time warner and are happy.

With directv for all channels HBO and showtime and twc cable we were paying like 260ish a month.

Now with time warner with their cable all channels and HBO and showtime and phone we pay like 180 and no contract.

We have DirecTV at work and every time there's a significant storm we lose signal.

Same for me. Loose signal every time it storms. Satellites are mounted on top of the roof and there are open fields all around the building, so they always have a clear view of the sky. Personally I would never make the switch.

If you do switch, search out the best "gift offer" you can find. I went with Direct TV back in October and got a $200 gift card for signing up... :D

She mentioned that is what I would get by signing up...$200. What really interests me is that due to me being a premier member to Sam's Club, I only need to pay $20 to switch.

Directv tries to rape you with hidden fees not to mention you still have to use someone else for internet. .

I asked about that because I don't want to deal with two bills, but she said since Direct tv and att are basically one company, I use att Internet and direct tv - tv and my bill will still be that locked in two year price, which sounds good.

She also said they are the only carrier that offer all 1080p channels. No 128/1028hd stuff like the others.

Same for me. Loose signal every time it storms. Satellites are mounted on top of the roof and there are open fields all around the building, so they always have a clear view of the sky. Personally I would never make the switch.

Any idea how old that system is? Her selling point on that was their new systems are far better...using BWs as the example that they handle all of their tvs saying they never lose signal. Not sure if the big business has better stuff..just what she said.

Time Warner and DirecTV are the only tv options where we live in Baltimore. We just moved in March and have brand new equipment. We wet with DirecTV for t.v. and Time Warner for internet. Our biggest issue is that Time Warner and DirecTV blame each other for the issue of DirecTV not being able to connect to the wifi in order for us to use any on-demand or movie-ordering services. We frequently lose signal in heavy rain and if it snows we have to clear off the dish outside of snow and ice. The price is pretty good. We cancelled all movie channels after their free trial and pay under $100/mo after tax and fees. It's a 2-year contract, and we are definitely hoping for more options once our contract is up in about 15 months. Other providers are slowly making their way to our area.

Installation is 99% of the problem with losing signal. The install guy uses his little box to get it close and "good enough" then leaves. I've always done my own and I get it near perfect and lose signal only when the worst storms came up. It had to be bad enough that you were heading for the basement so it didn't matter if TV was working or not at that point.

Aligning it properly can take a bit of work and starts with a correctly level mounting arm and there are three axis that must be aligned to get it right though I could just walk outside, point it towards the satellites by eyeballing it and it will get reception.

Also needs rechecked periodically to adjust for settling, weather, etc.

Riveting tale there chap. Care to elaborate further, since people are looking to switch to someone else.

My folks have Dish out in the country outside Circlelville surrounded by nothing but farm fields and don't experience this:

We have DirecTV at work and every time there's a significant storm we lose signal.

...or this:

Directv tries to rape you with hidden fees...

That should be reason enough.

Dish also just upgraded them for nothing. Had a system that was ~10 years old. Direct wouldn't even price match when mom called.

I prefer Dish's service and interface/usability.

Better? :)

Not a chance. Dish reception and picture quality is a step above using rabbit ears. Their guide is fucking obnoxious to use.

:lol: Ok.

Mom and dads is crystal clear and they don't even have a top of the line TV.

I have direct TV because we moved to the boonies, since Sept. Works really well. I got all new hardware.

I did move it to a pole mount because we got a new roof, didn't want holes in it. Should make it easier to clear off if it does get ice or snow on it.

I've lost reception twice for no more than 5 minutes during incredibly hard storms.

Happy with the service so far.

She mentioned that is what I would get by signing up...$200. What really interests me is that due to me being a premier member to Sam's Club, I only need to pay $20 to switch.

I went through the Sam's Club sales pitch too. And I walked away laughing. They tell you ~$45 to start the spheal, then by the end of their pitch it's $100/month for just TV service, which is nuts. There's tons of other costs that they don't mention up front. Passed, cut the cable, and have no trouble streaming what I want to watch.

I went through the Sam's Club sales pitch too. And I walked away laughing. They tell you ~$45 to start the spheal, then by the end of their pitch it's $100/month for just TV service, which is nuts. There's tons of other costs that they don't mention up front. Passed, cut the cable, and have no trouble streaming what I want to watch.

hmmm....$100 for just TV then $50 or so for Internet basically gets me to where I am now with U-Verse (Roughly $160) after tax a month. Makes no sense to switch really.

I really like our directv, signal gets bad during storms sometimes, but their service has been great in the year we've had it. We have Uverse for internet, and it has been fantastic for that. Time Warner had decent service for the ten years we had it before we moved but their customer service kept us from dealing with them again, 2 hours on the phone just trying to sign up and they got the finger. Wow is fucking pathetic in my opinion, their shit crashed more often then my directv ever has in the 3 months I had WOW, and their TV equipment was crappy too.

I don't have many cable options at my part of Galena, but Directv has been very good, other than the $120 a month. I have been a customer for 4 years, but even for the price reduction refuse to switch to Dish network.