NHL All Star Game...

HotCarl

I have weekend tickets, took off Friday to go to Fan Fest. We'll be down there all weekend, probably in my Russell Syracuse jersey or whichever All-Star jersey I decide to buy.

Drop-in in games were way too early for me, would have had to wake up at 4:30AM to make any of them.

I get to skate on the outdoor rink on Friday morning in net and I am extremely excited!

I would like to go to the skills competition, but it would cost me an arma nd a leg at this point. Oh well, R-Bar will be where i'll watch the game.

Anyone know what general admission into the convention center entails?

According to the Blue Jackets page: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726776

Join us for this once-in-a-lifetime experience where you can:

• Meet the NHL Mascots

• Check out the NHL Trophy Showcase presented by Discover

• Take a picture with the iconic Stanley Cup

• Test your hockey skills in the Honda NHL All-Star Skills Zone

• Meet and greet legends of the game as NHL players past and present sign autographs

• Visit the Hockey Hall of Fame exhibit featuring "Hockey in the State of Ohio"

• Test your shooting accuracy at the Bridgestone Shoot Out

• Visit the McDonald's Kids Zone designed for hockey's youngest fans

• Create your own personalized hockey trading card presented by Upper Deck

• Collect rare hockey memorabilia at the 2015 NHL All-Star Trading Card & Memorabilia Show presented by Upper Deck

• Relax, recharge and learn all about the new NHL mobile app inside the NHL Digital Lounge. Plus watch the best games of the season with NHL GameCenter LIVE presented by Xbox One

• Spend some time sharing memories and insights with current and former NHL players and hockey insiders in Q&A sessions inside the NHL Theater

• Lights, Camera, Action! You Make the Call with NHL Tonight™. NHL Network™ and Dish Network are giving you the opportunity to get in front of the camera to host your own segment of NHL Network's popular nightly highlight show

• Take a journey through the History of the NHL All-Star Game: Through The Decades powered by Constellation where guests are taken on an imagery tour of the history of the NHL All-Star Game, highlighting moments from 1934 to the present with the use of photography, audio and lighting powered by Constellation

• Find your All-Star souvenir! Shop officially licensed NHL All-Star merchandise as well as 30 team assortments at All-Star Weekend's flagship store, located within NHL Fan Fair.

Anyone know what general admission into the convention center entails?

BlueJacketsNHL has a snapchat account, on their 'story' they have a bunch of videos from the fan fair. It actually looks like a good time and I wouldn't mind taking a crack at some of those "skills" games (the two i saw were for shot strength/accuracy and stick handling). Not sure what it costs but if it gets you a pic with the stanley cup its probably worth it.

sidenote, I dont get how/why these atheletes want to get out of the all star game festivities so desperately? (speaking mostly about Crosby who is the most recent call off)

Yes I understand they work and this is a rare few days off in the middle of the season to 'recharge their batteries' but jesus you play a fucking game for a living and you can't be bothered to take some photos and sign some autographs as fans fawn over your mere presense?

sidenote, I dont get how/why these atheletes want to get out of the all star game festivities so desperately? (speaking mostly about Crosby who is the most recent call off)

Yes I understand they work and this is a rare few days off in the middle of the season to 'recharge their batteries' but jesus you play a fucking game for a living and you can't be bothered to take some photos and sign some autographs as fans fawn over your mere presense?

For guys that have been there a few times, I get it. I totally get why they'd want to get out of it. Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers basically told the NHL to "look elsewhere" when Jimmy Howard of the Detroit Red Wings went down with an injury. He wanted to rest and he's been a few times. As a veteran player, if you've been to the game / weekend a few times, I understand why they'd want out. It's basically the only time during the NHL season that they players get a vacation. They are off Wednesday through Monday. A lot of them go some place warm / spend time with family, etc.

But for a new guy that's never been, I'm sure it's a huge honor and they are more than happy to go... :nod:

For guys that have been there a few times, I get it. I totally get why they'd want to get out of it. Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers basically told the NHL to "look elsewhere" when Jimmy Howard of the Detroit Red Wings went down with an injury. He wanted to rest and he's been a few times. As a veteran player, if you've been to the game / weekend a few times, I understand why they'd want out. It's basically the only time during the NHL season that they players get a vacation. They are off Wednesday through Monday. A lot of them go some place warm / spend time with family, etc.

But for a new guy that's never been, I'm sure it's a huge honor and they are more than happy to go... :nod:

oh I totally understand that aspect of it but Crosby is/has been paraded around as some sort of 'face of the league' for a few years now and out of 12 years has played in ONE ASG. I guess it just irritated me that it was such a blatant bullshit "injury" (night before he plays 23+ minutes and shoots in the OT shootout) that he obviously just doesnt care or doesnt think its worth his time.

As for the festivities we had a blast, both at the skills competition and the ASG itself. Ran my fastest 5k time saturday morning, then went back down early saturday afternoon to bar hop before the skills comp. Capped off the entire weekend with a picture with Barry Melrose and Dan Bylsma (originally we just asked Barry but Dan was just sitting there like a sad puppy so we asked him too). Everyone we talked to said Cbus did a great job promoting and executing the weekend which was pretty cool.

Went Saturday. I am not the hockey fan i thought i was. The lines were crazy. We got to the convention center around 2, and was out by 2:30. I enjoy watching the jackets play, but definitely don't care enough to stand in line for 3 hours for a picture with the Stanley cup. Hoping i win the xbox1 i registered for though.

It was nice walking around the arena district with the missus for an hour or so. Hit up a bar or two while we were down there so our time didn't seem as wasted. Perhaps if we had children it might have been interesting.