Rabid Rabbit build

Farkas

Where do you buy your wheels and tires from? Looking for something nice for my daily that won't break the bank.

The wheels I got temporarily for the rabbit while my 14" wheels are being built were purchased from Ebay for $351 shipped. I always shop tires from tires-easy.com. They literally have the best selection of tire sizes and always competitive pricing. I think I paid $203 shipped for the 165/50 tires?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait....when you say 2.0L in the beige MKI, do you mean 2.0T out of a MK V or later or some other 2.0L engine? Pics?

2.0L non-turbo from a MK3. 114hp SOHC lump that is nothing special in the MK3, but it will chirp the tires going into third on a MK1. It's a riot.

UPDATE:

IT RUNS AND DRIVES!

It didn't take much before I was ready to crank the car over. After what seemed like a long work week, I immediately got to work on my first day off to get the car ready. I figured out how to finally run the vacuum lines for the brake booster and FPR. Capped off what didn't need to be used any longer and dealt with the stupid PVC system on the intake elbow. Double checked all of my coolant lines and filled her up with oil and coolant. I installed an ECU I had previously paired with a C2 PEM race chip that deletes both the O2, SAI and all the other unnecessary emissions stuff. Plugged the ECU into the harness and gave it power for the first time I confirmed that the throttle body was aligning itself, which is a good sign of life! I said forget the exhaust down pipe and decided to go for it. Primed the pump and the fuel rail and gave it it's first crank and it fired up without much effort at all... I literally couldn't believe it.

As I mentioned earlier, there's a bit of discrepancy between the NLS diagram, which is intended for gas cars, and the diesel schematics I was working with. I was able to work it out since it's only three different wires between the coolant temp and oil pressure, but my radiator fan circuit was faulty somewhere, which I eventuality tracked down to a bad relay. I ended up just simplifying the circuit similar to early rabbits, and bypassed the relay and just put the switch in-line with the power to the fan. Heater core had heat and thermostat opened and I had no leaks, so I was pretty happy about that. I was never actually able to track down the D+ charging circuit that's supposed to go to a dash light, so I ended up just giving the exciter wire a steady 12v so that it will charge the battery.

If you remember earlier in the thread I damaged the passenger brake hard line while notching my frame. Well, before I was going to take the car on the road, I obviously had to get all of that mess replaced, so now that the car is running, I found a new motivation to tackle that project. What a mess. Bending the line is the easy part, using unions is easy, trying to get the old rubber lines off without destroying the fittings is another story. I fought with them for a while, but was able to keep them in good enough shape to reuse. I get the system back together, bleed the first side, go to bleed the second... bleeder valve broke right off. Great. I ended up drilling out the old bleeder screw, re-tapping the caliper, and inserting a bolt as a temporary fix that would let me at least bleed and seal the system until I replace the caliper. Whatever, good enough for now lol.

I started the car again and let it idle for a while and let the rad fan kick on a couple times and decided to take it for a spin around the block. First gear is lolz. Second gear is a handful. I should probably not be an idiot since the car doesn't have plates yet lol. Always fun running around a neighborhood with an open downpipe and burning off old oil and coolant.

Decided not to get too far ahead of myself, put it back in the garage and finished cleaning up the wiring, so the pictures you see are nearly it's final state of completion. Just need to clean the bay now that I have the car mobile and get it a proper exhaust and intake filter.

Anyhow, here's a quick video and some quick pictures. Still gotta play with the hood a little bit, but whatever.. I'm just happy it runs and drives under it's own power.

16522305710_15e39b4dc2_b.jpgIMG_8656 by Andrew M. Farkas, on Flickr

16709707515_5525bb4bf1_b.jpgIMG_8655 by Andrew M. Farkas, on Flickr

16502418787_6dbddc654a_b.jpgIMG_8661 by Andrew M. Farkas, on Flickr

16683771706_887a6f0557_b.jpgIMG_8663 by Andrew M. Farkas, on Flickr

Congrats dude. Love it.

So badass. Congrats

nicely done. it looks clean in there. any plans for an intake setup? maybe I missed that. I like illustrations.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'll get an air filter on there before long. Not at the top of the list while still working out other bugs :)

I gotta find someone around Columbus that can shorten my driver's side axle. I have a slight binding issue.

I'm surprised the half-shaft needs to be shortened...didn't those axles come in the Eurowise kit pre-sized for the Mk1 application?

I'm guessing since he lowered the car it likely took out some of the angle in the cv shaft causing it to bind due to length.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Getting some miles on it, finally.

This has been a pretty long stretch for updates, but I don't really have a whole bunch to report. The past two weeks I have basically been working out small bugs every typical project like this experiences. Rad fan wasn't cooperating for a while, had to trace down a battery draw that would mysteriously kill my battery overnight, finished my center shifter console, but most importantly I finally got together a temporary exhaust until I can piece together a nice 2.5" and got the car plated and insured.

My original intention was to piece together a downpipe using parts of the original header, but turns out, it was a bit over my head. It's fairly easy to accomplish, but making a 2-1 merge collector is what I couldn't handle. I ended up ordering a downpipe from the great folks at Eurowise who, even though they were out of stock, were able to make me one on the double and get it to my door step in literal days. For the sake of getting the car ready for a local show called Water By the Bridge in Louisville, KY, I decided I wouldn't be able to get 2.5" cat-back exhaust by then, so I mated up the original diesel exhaust to the VR. I'm sure it's choking the shit out of the motor, but it's driveable and still lolz. The best part is when the soot that has built up in the muffler of the diesel exhaust blows out when I rev the motor lol.

Also, if you remember earlier I had an idea for a center console that would fit over the O2A shift tower and cables... well it's 90% finished and in the car and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, to say the least. I just have to decide the best way to secure it to the tunnel, but as it is right now, it literally stays put. I'm thinking of two L-brackets secured on the inside of the console.

Aside from that, I just need to keep driving it and do some really minor cosmetic things. I just put my front bumper caps on, just gotta put my rear small bumper and get the new caps on that as well. Just waiting patiently for the inner barrels of my 14" wheels as I'm really not too fond of these 15s. Really just a temporary placeholder for the time being.

16883988136_6952cb71d2_b.jpgIMG_8798 by Andrew M. Farkas, on Flickr

16722219998_565b99915d_b.jpgIMG_8851 by Andrew M. Farkas, on Flickr

16884000526_325f025a76_b.jpgIMG_8853 by Andrew M. Farkas, on Flickr

16722237718_0fd617f8bd_b.jpgIMG_8855 by Andrew M. Farkas, on Flickr

16909886955_58fe67ef4a_b.jpgIMG_8859 by Andrew M. Farkas, on Flickr

16883981916_df616b1c14_b.jpgIMG_8858 by Andrew M. Farkas, on Flickr

16722210148_8d47233224_b.jpgIMG_8862 by Andrew M. Farkas, on Flickr