Recommend me a decent pair of noice canceling Headphones

Trouble Maker

I have a negative attitude about Bose, but pretty much everyone says the QC25s have no competitor that can come close to how well they work.

I'd also like to not spend $300, but will if that's what it takes.

High up on the list of 'wants'. They have to really good NC. Otherwise what's the point? They have to sound pretty good, be portable, and I'm not sold on proprietary batteries. I liked that the QC25s packed down pretty small for an over the ear and use a AAA battery. I don't travel extremely often but I really like listening to music to escaping the fact that I'm on a cattle car in the sky. Going to Japan in 3 weeks so I figure if I'm going to plunk down some coin on a nice set, it might as well be now!

Any other suggestions?

I have the Monster DNA headphones (bought them from Panda on here)...I fucking love them. Only like $120-$160 new on Amazon pending what color you get.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-DNA-On-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B009P2S4G6

I have the Cobalt/Grey set that's only $103 with free shipping. I use them literally every day at the gym and they have awesome sound for that price range.

From the other thread about the Bluetooth- although these aren't. Awesome headphones.

From the other thread about the Bluetooth- although these aren't. Awesome headphones.

I honestly can't tell if those have active noise cancellation or not... I'm leaning towards no.

Some of the only audio/consumer electronic companies I have a lower image of than Bose is Monster or Beats. At least Bose can seem to make some decent products.

In addition to making subpar products, Monster is also an ethically horrible, monstrous company. They like to threaten to sue people all of the time often with little basis to essentially extort money out of smaller companies by settling out of court. They are the patent troll of the consumer electronics industry.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/

It will be a cold day in hell before I would ever give them a dime of my money.

I have a negative attitude about Bose, but pretty much everyone says the QC25s have no competitor that can come close to how well they work.

Had pair of NC Bose from circa 2006 and loved them. FFWD to years later they cracked and broke in half and Bose replaced them for $150 and upgraded me to a new pair. Hats off to them for they didn't have to do anything to help me.

This Christmas I got my wife a pair of the top of the line Beats bluetooth Noise Cancelling ones using some airline points thus they were free. For the $400 they sell for they don't reduce or sound nearly as good as the Bose.

Not sure why people knock Bose headphones as to me they have been awesome in quality and from a company perspective. I'm sure there are "high fidelity" and better sounding ones but my ears can't tell, especially when connected to mp3 or streaming music.

Call me simple, but there's my 14 paragraph of incite :p.

Shure makes phenomenal products. Had a set of there ear buds I paid $115 for. Used them for 2 years and they survived 2 trips through the washer. 3rd trip killed the right side. Sound quality is as good as any product 2 to 3 times the price.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/srh750dj-professional-dj-headphones

Sure are good as mentioned. I like my ultrasone. There are a lot of headphones that are less expensive than beats or bose and have a wider range.

Look on headfi.org or audioholics for recommendations by price and what music you normally listen to.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Look on headfi.org or audio holistic for recommendations by price and what music you normally listen to.

I do like that site, but it can be hard to find info on. I got my IEMs based on info from there. This 1 guy had done reviews on 200+ IEMs and it was really easy to find some good sets in your price range, read the review and see if you would like it. It also seems like most of that community is not real high on NC headphones either, so there is less info on them. If I'm mistaken and you can easily find some good concise info on over the ear NC headphones, I'm all ears. :gabe:

Shure makes phenomenal products. Had a set of there ear buds I paid $115 for. Used them for 2 years and they survived 2 trips through the washer. 3rd trip killed the right side. Sound quality is as good as any product 2 to 3 times the price.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/srh750dj-professional-dj-headphones

Those are the second pair of headphones that someone has linked in this thread that are not noise canceling. :p

I'll be the 3rd guy to post headphones without active noise cancelling. I've got a set of Etymotic IEMs. They've got an interesting Christmas tree shape, and isolate noise VERY WELL. Much better than any other on-ear/around-ear/in-ear head phone that I've tried. They're also cheaper than Bose, and have the benefit of not requiring batteries.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/headphones/best-headphones/noise-canceling/

I'm not a huge fan of Bose either, but I actually think that a couple of their headphone models are great products and actually when you compare apples to apples they aren't a horrible value. I can't Stand their ear buds though...quite possibly the most overpriced POS in the world. From the the reviews you're going to be hard to beat their noise canceling models. I'm wearing a pair of SoundTrue by Bose right now typing this. They sound pretty darn good and when I break them every 12 months it's $60 to replace them each time with their replacement program and I can walk into Easton and have a new pair same day if needed.

Thanks for all of the info.

I got the Bose QC25s and I've only used them a bit but these are my feelings so far. They are very comfortable.

They are... a little strange to use with NC on but no music. There is a constant kind of white noise and your ears can feel, a little strange, but really does work very, very well. I suppose with a little time one could get used to the white noise of NC on but no music.

Sound quality of music with NC off is awful. My best guess is they didn't worry SQ a ton from the get go and make up for it by doing some signal processing to even out the uneven response curve.

They sound good with NC on, and the 'strange' ear feeling and white noise completely goes away. With a music on a pretty low level and NC on, these things are pretty darn good.

Overall I'm glad I ponied up the money for a really good set. I think I would have been disappointed with something half as good for half the price.

I'm not a huge fan of Bose either, but I actually think that a couple of their headphone models are great products and actually when you compare apples to apples they aren't a horrible value.

This is my primary issue with Bose, they generally don't make products that are worth what they charge for them. They do seem to know how to make good products that are worth it, and this seems to be one of them.

Edited by Trouble Maker

i have a beats by dre. i like them. funny, because you see all kinds of idiots wearing these, and i would normally be the first to buy the bose. but i hate bose.

3 out of every 4 brolos wear these at the gym while repping out 5lbs. Make sure you get a bright color too and color coordinate your gym outfit. :p

I'd also like to not spend $300, but will if that's what it takes.

High up on the list of 'wants'. They have to really good NC. Otherwise what's the point? They have to sound pretty good, be portable, and I'm not sold on proprietary batteries. I liked that the QC25s packed down pretty small for an over the ear and use a AAA battery. I don't travel extremely often but I really like listening to music to escaping the fact that I'm on a cattle car in the sky. Going to Japan in 3 weeks so I figure if I'm going to plunk down some coin on a nice set, it might as well be now!

Any other suggestions?

http://www.cnet.com/topics/headphones/best-headphones/noise-canceling/

I'm not a huge fan of Bose either, but I actually think that a couple of their headphone models are great products and actually when you compare apples to apples they aren't a horrible value. I can't Stand their ear buds though...quite possibly the most overpriced POS in the world. From the the reviews you're going to be hard to beat their noise canceling models. I'm wearing a pair of SoundTrue by Bose right now typing this. They sound pretty darn good and when I break them every 12 months it's $60 to replace them each time with their replacement program and I can walk into Easton and have a new pair same day if needed.

The article AudiOn19s linked has my favorite pair of Bose noise canceling headphones. They are not BT and they are at your dollar limit at $300 but they sound great. They take 1 AAA battery. You can demo the headphones at Target. Bose makes a bluetooth option as well for $250 but I don't think it is noise canceling.

http://www.target.com/p/bose-quietcomfort-25-acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones-black/-/A-16386071#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=bose+headphones

Thanks for all of the info.

I got the Bose QC25s...

:p

Tell me they sound better than beats by dre so I can win an argument. ;)

I can't say they sound better than the Beats, because I've never tried the Beats. But pretty much everywhere says that Beats in general are way, way, overpriced; don't sound good and produce way too much bass.

You can get some really good non-NC headphones for what they charge for the Beats.

For over/on ear.

If you sort by SQ Beats by Dre is the first (lowest SQ #) $150 headphone on this list, and Monster Beats by Dre is the first $200 headphone on this list.

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-review-list/#

For in ear http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/#

It's even worse, if you sort by average score, almost everything below the $150 Beats Tour's are less than half of the price of the Beats. There is more than 1 pair that score higher than the beats that only cost $1x

It's a little harder to find good info on NC headphones like these list.