CR life coaches enter, mechanical/maintenance/engineering enter

cstmg8

So, it's time to move to the next level, career wise. I currently work as a building engineer/service manager for a high rise condo building. I do not have an engineering degree, but I am solely in charge of all building mechanicals,maintenance, maintenance and security staff etc.... I enjoy what I do, but I don't enjoy working with an association board. I have been successful there, but have pretty well topped out after 5 years. I am good at what I do, and have a background in construction as well as building mechanicals.

Problem is, I don't have a pertaining degree. I went to college for an education degree, and never used it a day in my life. Question is, what is the best move from here?? I feel as though I'll have to go back to school for some type of engineering associates/bachelors. If I don't land a gig making 100k+, I'll be moving laterally or backwards.

Wifey just landed a completely ridiculous job offer that will allow me to go to school or do whatever I need to prepare myself. I'll put in the work, I just need to pick a direction.

Advice?

At this point you probably know deep down the best stage to take.

Everyone's experience is going to be vastly different. I never went to college a day in my life, and own a portion of an engineering firm and work as a engineer by day and own another business as well.....

At this point you probably know deep down the best stage to take.

Everyone's experience is going to be vastly different. I never went to college a day in my life, and own a portion of an engineering firm and work as a engineer by day and own another business as well.....

Ultimately I hope/feel as though my day job will simply be a means to fund my personal investments/business/retirement plan. Probably in real estate, considering my strengths are in being able to do my own remodeling/maintenance/flips.

I never finished college, started in a maintenance position a couple years ago, a few months ago I was promoted to engineering after 4 months of apprenticeship in the engineering department while still working in maintenance. From looking around it seems places are willing to exchange experience for a degree, and you have one regardless of what it is in. You may look around and try for a few jobs, if nothing comes of it, it sounds like you have the opportunity to go back to school if you see fit to do so.

You didn't mention why you want to leave you current job other than you've topped out.

Honestly, it's mostly just the money. I also don't care for working with the condo associations board. It's one thing to work for a company, but being directed by a group of unqualified "owners" who simply have enough time to run for their board gets really old.

I've really only stayed this long because of the experience, the freedom, and decent pay.

Sounds like you're in a position to do whatever makes you happy regardless of what it pays, you're the only one who can figure out what that is. I don't make a lot of money but I like what I do and I have some very rewarding days. Maybe its just someone poor justifying their choices, but I am happy.

If you already have a degree and a lot of mechanical experience then you shouldn't be too hard off to find another job, start applying and see what happens.

If you do go and get an engineering degree you might still not make what you think you would/should and have just spent the last 4 years working on something that didn't help you anymore than what you already had.

Along the lines of what gergwheel just said about pay. Honestly, you sound like 'the kids coming out of college' these days expecting 6 figures in exchange for a degree. Do your research about starting pays for fields you are interested in, it's not too hard to find the info. http://www.Salary.com is a pretty good source of info.

Like Cordell said, do what makes you happy. It really sounds like with the wife's new position, you have the freedom to do that. I would just say make sure her new position/company is stable before taking some huge plunge based on it.

Maybe I'm downplaying it, but it sounds like you are a good/smart building maintenance person. I'm not 100% sure what all that entails (I did have a close friend that did it for a few years so I have some good idea), but I doubt you are doing 'engineering' work. Talk to some engineers and see what they do. I'd be happy to grab a beer or coffee and chat, I imagine you'd veer more towards something like I'm doing since I get lots of hands on work (test engineer).

Also along the lines of what gearwheel said, you could probably get a job somewhere as a test technician; setting up test & equipment, possibly running some test. It will likely pay shit compared to 'a 6 figure job'. If you are making anywhere near that and want to stay near there, you should be very, very happy that you make that much being a building maintenance 'engineer'.

If you already have a degree and a lot of mechanical experience then you shouldn't be too hard off to find another job, start applying and see what happens.

If you do go and get an engineering degree you might still not make what you think you would/should and have just spent the last 4 years working on something that didn't help you anymore than what you already had.

Truth.

Having a degree and your experience should negate not having an engineering degree...depending on what you specifically want to do. I also wouldn't expect graduating with an ME or EE degree and immediately expect six figures. Your experience is worth more than your degree at this point.

-Marc

Truth.

Having a degree and your experience should negate not having an engineering degree...depending on what you specifically want to do. I also wouldn't expect graduating with an ME or EE degree and immediately expect six figures. Your experience is worth more than your degree at this point.

-Marc

A lot of places won't hire people as engineers without an engineering degree, or you have to really prove yourself in the industry. Or you can start as a tech and work your way up to an engineer if you are good at it. Even then, most places like to see people with technical (2 year) degrees for their techs.

I've known some really good engineers without degrees, but the only way they will even get looked at is because of their reputation. It can be a difficult road to go down that career path. If he wants to get an engineering degree and has the want and opportunity (wife new job making bank) to do it, it will be a much easier prospect to get jobs.

I'm not 100% sure what all that entails (I did have a close friend that did it for a few years so I have some good idea), but I doubt you are doing 'engineering' work. Talk to some engineers and see what they do.

This and this. One of my buddies was working as a grunt in medical research with a 4-year degree, but really wanted to be an engineer. So his wife bankrolled a mech E degree and now he's making the exact same money he was before (high 60s low 70s? In the DC area) working at DeWalt, except he's finally doing what he likes. Which is designing parts in CAD and doing material analysis and stuff. It's not a particularly hands on job.

If you like what you do and you're good at it, then look for a job with better growth potential. If you don't like what you do and want to wear a dress shoes to work every day, then talk to some engineers.

I would definitely prefer some hands on work, I'm not one to direct my guys then just sit at the desk. My current building is 50 yrs old, so I've done the bulk of updating systems and researching/designing/choosing which equipment would best suit the building. Hell, we still had a static pressure system for the domestic water when I started!

I'm not naive enough to expect that a degree will automatically net me 100k, but hope that it will compliment my experience.

Perfect scenario would be a job making at least what I do now, but with the "guarantee" that a degree (preferably associates) would qualify me to advance significantly.

I thrive when there's an emergency, or problem to solve, this is why I make what I do. I'm kind of getting paid for what I know as much as what I do.

That and overtime!

If I had a little more business smarts, I'd try to set up a sort of consulting agency for this type of thing.

I'm not naive enough to expect that a degree will automatically net me 100k, but hope that it will compliment my experience.

Perfect scenario would be a job making at least what I do now, but with the "guarantee" that a degree (preferably associates) would qualify me to advance significantly.

Growth potential in the engineering field has to do with how good you are/how well you work with others and the growth potential in the company. But that's probably true for most fields. If you aren't good at what you do or are at a bad/too small company it can hinder growth. But otherwise they sky is the limit.

Associates (2 year degree) will usually cause issues with starting point and/or growth potential in most fields that like people to have degrees. I think you are better off either running with what you have, or getting a BSxE (4 year degree) if you are looking towards engineering. If would hope you already having a 4 year degree could knock out a lot of the basic classes and reduce some time for you getting your degree.

You are a prime candidate for field service, and if you get into an industry that has a significant amount of overtime, you'll make your $100k target.

Well, I recently talked to my elevator service mechanic. Union mechanic wage is $42/hr right now. 5 yr apprenticeship that starts in the $20's/hr with significant step increases each year.

Haven't written this off, $90k is a bit closer to the 100 than I am now. I'm just not sure about growth from there.

Do a search for "field service" on Monster or Indeed or any other site. I've been looking for something in IL but in my area the populoation just isn't here to necessitate a lot of Field Service Engineers. I would need to go to Chicago. BUT, I get TONS of listings in my inbox for Columbus. I know the jobs are there. The base might not be anywhere near 100, but you can make it up. Some places pay office allowance, company car, car allowance, overtime, bonus, sales incentives, etc. Traveling jobs are incredible moneymakers.

Edit: That elevator job is probably closer to 130-140 end of year.