Cayman GT4

AudiOn19s

Been waiting for the final release. Porsche hit this one out of the park in my opinion

3000 lbs

385 hp

6 speed manual

5 lug wheels

7:40 ring time

Starts in low $80's

https://www.pca.org/news/2015-02-03/porsche-unveils-cayman-gt4

**edit to add pictures**

P15_0061.jpg?itok=1urJA-X-

P15_0069.jpg

P15_0004.jpg

P15_0070.jpg

P15_0063_1.jpg

P15_0064.jpg

Edited by AudiOn19s

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since being at the first Cayman launch party in Naples back in 2005 ("What is with you people? It's a fucking hardtop Boxster!!1!1") I've struggled to see the relevance from a performance standpoint. Seriously, people paid more to have a not-that-much-stiffer chassis on a hardtop Boxster. I still hate the 1st-gen Cayman with a passion; fucking poverty 911-wannabe. Mazda never made a Miata coupe, and it sold well. I guess BMW did the clown-show Z3/Z4 but still, fuck the 1st-gen Cayman.

However, I will be the first to admit the last (2nd?) generation really started to seperate itself as it's own car aside from the Boxster. Now, this GT4 is a HELL of a car. Props to Porsche for making some seriously lustworthy cars these days.

I would own a 911 - any 911 - first before I bought a Cayman, but I respect anyone that buys this thing.

The most impressive thing to me is the price. Yes, 85k is not cheap but there are a lot of special components on this car for the same price as a base base base 911 with 350hp.

I happen to own a 3000 lb, 380hp, 6 speed GT porsche. Base price for this combo in 2004 was 99k. 11 years later we get it $15k cheaper. No, it's not a 911 but it will be a special car. Porsche takes that GT badge very seriously.

Not an expert on any Porsches by any stretch. But I've always thought the 911 has held the cayman back. Once Porsche gets rid of the "911 has to be the ultimate Porsche" mentality, this car can shine even more. Seriously, why detune the engine? We all know the answer

Needs bigger brakes for those huge rear wheels.

I've struggled to see the relevance from a performance standpoint. Seriously, people paid more to have a not-that-much-stiffer chassis on a hardtop Boxster. I still hate the 1st-gen Cayman with a passion; fucking poverty 911-wannabe. Mazda never made a Miata coupe, and it sold well. I guess BMW did the clown-show Z3/Z4 but still, fuck the 1st-gen Cayman.

However, I will be the first to admit the last (2nd?) generation really started to seperate itself as it's own car aside from the Boxster. Now, this GT4 is a HELL of a car. Props to Porsche for making some seriously lustworthy cars these days..

I will agree with all of this, but not the other stuff I didnt quote.

These caymans are starting to get sweet looking.

Not an expert on any Porsches by any stretch. But I've always thought the 911 has held the cayman back. Once Porsche gets rid of the "911 has to be the ultimate Porsche" mentality, this car can shine even more. Seriously, why detune the engine? We all know the answer

Needs bigger brakes for those huge rear wheels.

I agree. The Cayman is becoming more lust-worthy than the 911.

I signed on to get one here in Denver late last summer. My dealer told me 3.8 TT was a likely engine at the time as he heard that was one engine being tested. He called yesterday to tell me the news of the 3.8S and I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed. But after watching the Evo TV bit I am still quite excited for the car.

As of today I'm still no. 1 but I do have the option to bail if the car is "not what I was expecting". Kudos to Porsche and my dealer for that.

I love everything about this car....except that I won't be ble to justify buying one especially to track it. If they follow the (lack of) depreciation curve of other GT cars from Porsche I won't be able to buy a used one either for quite some time.

I love everything about this car....except that I won't be ble to justify buying one especially to track it. If they follow the (lack of) depreciation curve of other GT cars from Porsche I won't be able to buy a used one either for quite some time.

The GT Porsche crowd love to talk about and speculate future values.

The GT4 has a couple strikes against it in that department

-standard 9A1 based Engine with <8000 rpm redline

-not limited production. They will build as many as dealers / individuals will order.

Time will tell though. Cayman R values are not that strong comparatively but they don't have a GT badge either.

The GT Porsche crowd love to talk about and speculate future values.

The GT4 has a couple strikes against it in that department

-standard 9A1 based Engine with <8000 rpm redline

-not limited production. They will build as many as dealers / individuals will order.

Time will tell though. Cayman R values are not that strong comparatively but they don't have a GT badge either.

Agreed.

This car may due surprisingly well with sales. I'd imagine quite a few folks looking at the 997 gt3 will definitely look at this car.

Consider the bargain in performance. The GT4 is confirmed 7:40 or below around the ring. Some much pricier competition. It's a helluva bargain- with a warranty.

Ferrari 458 7:38

Ferrari F430 scuderia 7:39

Porsche 997 GT3 7:40

Mercedes sls AMG 7:40

Ford GT 7:41

Agreed.

This car may due surprisingly well with sales. I'd imagine quite a few folks looking at the 997 gt3 will definitely look at this car.

Consider the bargain in performance. The GT4 is confirmed 7:40 or below around the ring. Some much pricier competition. It's a helluva bargain- with a warranty.

Ferrari 458 7:38

Ferrari F430 scuderia 7:39

Porsche 997 GT3 7:40

Mercedes sls AMG 7:40

Ford GT 7:41

Absolutely. For someone wanting a track focused Porsche with an $85-ish budget you either get a 20-30k mile '07 GT3 or you get this...or you spend a little less and get an older GT3 like mine.

I've got an inquiry in at Byers to see what sticker is with just sport buckets and xenon's as the only options. Not sure the wife would give up the 997TT for a GT4 but it's an interesting scenario to think about.