Data Recovery local recomendation?

Geeto67

Anybody have a good recommendation for a local computer data recovery place?

I had a hard drive fail a while back and it was my backup for all my photos and business files. Then my laptop got stolen and I lost the current files. I would like to try and recover the data and time is not a factor. Just looking for a place that will do a good job at a reasonable rate.

signs point to it just being a motor failure in the drive but I am no expert. Drive has been sitting for just under 2 years because it happened right before I moved to Ohio.

No specific recommendations but we had this done at a company back in early 2000s.

They recovered the drive but it came back file0001.txt, file0002.txt, etc....

Some intern then went though all of the files to make sense of things.

Good luck, its a nasty proposition.

No specific recommendations but we had this done at a company back in early 2000s.

They recovered the drive but it came back file0001.txt, file0002.txt, etc....

Some intern then went though all of the files to make sense of things.

Good luck, its a nasty proposition.

Depends on the failure/recovery, but they can be nasty.We use a recovery lab called Data Tech Labs in Denver. You mentioned a reasonable rate, be prepared to spend up to $1700 depending on who you use, and what it takes to recover the data.

Does the hard drive spin up and you hear clicks? Or does it not spin at all?

Only reason i ask is if the circuit board is fried. You may be able to find the exact hard drive and swap boards out and be able to get it back up and running and pull files off it. Would be the cheapest way to go. If it does spin and clicks, then yeah you will need to find a place that will be able to do that for you.

Best of luck.

-D

Only reason i ask is if the circuit board is fried. You may be able to find the exact hard drive and swap boards out and be able to get it back up and running and pull files off it. Would be the cheapest way to go. If it does spin and clicks, then yeah you will need to find a place that will be able to do that for you.

Best of luck.

-D

I was just about to ask this same thing. If the drive spins up then you are in business. When I did work for IT we would always inform people that it was stupid expensive to have their data recovered by a company in the event that they could recover it.

The reason for the weird names is that data recovery software will always puke out a generic name or the HDD sector that it found that data on.

There are a lot of variables to talk about when you are looking into data recovery, has the drive been used since it was pulled? has new data been written over the old data? was it ever formatted? during that time? and many more.

If you feel like trying it yourself for a cheep price you can go to Microcenter and buy a USB SATA adapter for the drive for less then $20 and then download "Recuva" or "Active File Recovery" and give them a shot. I have used both and they work, but they take a LONG time to do full and deep scans.

Best of luck in getting your shit back.

Best of luck.

-D

+1.