350 versus 327?

caseyctsv

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a 327 and a 350? I was told the motor in my daughter's truck was a 350 out of a 79 Chevy pickup but the chrome air cleaner says "327". I have a buyer asking and have no idea - it was never a big deal to me.

better way is to look at the partial VIN that should be stamped on the pad in the block just in front of the passenger side cylinder head, above the water pump passage. There will be a 3 letter "suffix" code. Then cross-reference it here: http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php#suffix

The suffix code will tell you what year it was, what size, what body style it was in, and what transmission it was mated to.

The casting numbers only get you so far, especially if it is a large journal 327, many of them shared casting numbers with the 350 due to the same bore size.

Hope that helps.

PS- if you don't see the partial VIN stamp it could be 1 of two reasons:

1. Very early sbc had a code but not partial VIN, if this is the case, you know you have a 327 because the 350 was not yet available at that point.

or

2. The engine block has been decked for some reason at some previous point in time.