Thoughts on new Harley exhaust design

zeitgeist57

My friend is making all-titanium exhausts for Harley's...starting with his own Forty-Eight. Looking for thoughts/opinions on style. The big option will be a variable flow valve to control sound, but for now this first system is a standard, loud exhaust system.

This shows Stainless steel shields, but there will be an option for Ti ones as well.

http://i.imgur.com/LXlqExb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2mlwZwX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XXdXyXa.jpg?1

(blocked out the brand name he's going with. :))

I think it looks too much like a sport bike exhaust, I think everything up till the muffler looks good but the back half needs changed.

Edit: I like keeping 2 pipes not going 2 to 1. Something along these lines.

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy296/rocky31186/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-02-06-08-00-08_zpstpdsqjao.png

Let me ask a few questions:

- is it a true equal length system?

- what's the ID of the pipe?

- has he dynoed it yet?

I like the way it looks ok, not a fan of slash cut mufflers, and that merge collector seems a little dubious but if it is going to work like I think it is going to work he should see a bump in torque because of it, provided he didn't make the pipe too big. Since Ti is usually thin wall stuff that's what I am guessing he used and the pipes may be a little big for the application. Sporty owners usually like the look of big diameter pipes, and the stock pipes link big but on some models the pipe is pretty thick and sometimes even double walled, so the ID is only 1 5/8 inches. Most aftermarket exhausts for Sportsters are 2" or greater and most of them are great for stealing hp and turning it into noise. Exhaust design is all about exhaust gas velocity management and the larger and more unrestricted the pipe is the slower the gas charge, the collector design should put some restriction back and so would the muffler but I am interested in how the pipe performs.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. He's also coming up with other designs.

Let me ask a few questions:

- is it a true equal length system?

- what's the ID of the pipe?

- has he dynoed it yet?

- Front Y-pipes are less than an inch difference in length

- 47mm = 1.85" I.D.

- Not yet. Good call though...

Thanks for the feedback, guys. He's also coming up with other designs.

- Front Y-pipes are less than an inch difference in length

- 47mm = 1.85" I.D.

- Not yet. Good call though...

Sounds like he did his homework then. I would like see any dyno results.

• 4 weeks later...
I think it looks great other than the heat shield on the muffler. Does look like a sportbike exhaust yes, but that's also what makes it unique and not like every other damn sportster exhaust around.

Just got an email from my partner...he's got a Softail Breakout in his factory for exhaust development. The "Kick" model above is being done up in titanium and I'll be getting product this month!:thumbup:

I do appreciate people's feedback. More to come as we get this off the ground.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got an email from my partner...he's got a Softail Breakout in his factory for exhaust development. The "Kick" model above is being done up in titanium and I'll be getting product this month!:thumbup:

I do appreciate people's feedback. More to come as we get this off the ground.

We have a breakout at the shop with a Carbon exhaust on it... so beautiful