Street Outlaw Participants Possibly Being Banned...

DaddyBuiltRacing

So apparently all the people that have appeared on Street Outlaws got this letter in the mail basically stating, "if you participate or have anything to do with the television show "Street Outlaws", you will be stripped of your NHRA membership, and won't be permitted to race at nhra tracks or sanctioned races"

Fair or foul?

It's BS. I agree if you have a nhra number on your car that maybe you should take it off. But the streets in the show are blocked off/permitted. Maybe nhra should worry more about the sportsman racer that keeps the tracks going instead. In fact (dbag josh peterson), I think Mr. Parks is rolling in his grave at the way nhra is being run now.

I thought it was pretty obvious that the "streets" in the show are blocked off to pedestrian use so they can race (after all they have giant lights setup so its not exactly a secret). I know during the first season it was an ongoing story line that what they were doing is illegal, not sure if this has changed for the second season i haven't watched recently.

I thought it was pretty obvious that the "streets" in the show are blocked off to pedestrian use so they can race (after all they have giant lights setup so its not exactly a secret). I know during the first season it was an ongoing story line that what they were doing is illegal, not sure if this has changed for the second season i haven't watched recently.

I absolutely agree. My theory is that it is a private road that has either been rented or bought just for this purpose. Like you said, the. Giant light setups are obvious and the way the racers casually hang around...

Not real street racing.

Lol, nice try nhra. You can't control what people do off the track. Take the numbers off and then it's done. Word is that in season 2 nhra came to Pilgram (production company) and said they wanted in. Pilgram told them to kick rocks and think this the nhra way of showing them who's boss. On another note, I've got to change my seat belt this year because it's hitting the two year mark or nhras way of bleeding more money out of you.

Like anything it's just a play on words...

They are technically "street racing" the fact that they get permission and shut down the roads to do it legally is beside the point and honestly...exactly what everyone should be doing.

This show might start another form of racing....

When more and more cities are trying to shut the tracks down, this is the next step unless people want things to get worse. Allow them to shut down a road somewhere and safely/legally race on the street without fear of others getting hurt.

I wasn't a fan of the show at first but it seems like this is the best thing to happen to drag racing in some time...

I have to agree with ForceFed - they are pretty upfront about the traction requirements and road hazzards being different from track racing. The only element they really remove is the possible police intervention and arrest. Let's be clear - they are emulating real heavy street racing, not two dumbshit 18 year olds screwing around with clapped out fox body mustangs.

I don't know about you guys, but some of the big money races I used to see back in NY involved trailer-ed cars, closed streets etc and it had been that way since the 60's. The only differences between that and what I see on SO is that SO has huge lighting setups, There isn't a crowd of people including your friends and neighbors surrounding the starting line, and there isn't a line of angry people in cars because there are suddenly two large tow rigs blocking a public road.

the days of friendly stoplight to stoplight street racing between two cars that double as daily drivers are largely gone. The risks are just too great and the rewards are almost nil.

As for no prep racing, I thought the idea of running at the track in reverse sounded like a great idea. Starting from the non-prepped end of the track sounds to me pretty equivalent to a street. Traction will pick up toward the big end that way, but the launch will have to be soft because of the unprepared surface. I get that a traditional pass even on an "unprepared" track is not the same as the street (unless they strip the track bare). But I have to think there is a compromise somewhere. Hell, launch from back at the tower, that will be similar to a street launch.

Simulate a street environment at the track. It can be done. Controlled environment for safety. Same type of surface ....

They'll fucking hate it and won't do it because it's legal. There isn't the thrill if there is no chance of getting caught.