Run in's with the law

S-13

I am in no way one of those people who hates cops and thinks that they are always out to get me, but sometimes some ridiculous stuff happens. Last summer I was on my brothers bike, got pulled over on the highway by a state trooper. He told me that I was not allowed to ride on the highway because I didn't have my endorsement for a full year. I told him the only restriction was that I had to wear a helmet for the first year. We argued about this for a bit, and long story short, he impounded the bike because I was on the highway. :mad: I was pretty upset that I had to pay to get it back when it had been impounded for a non-existent law. I have gotten some pretty amazing warnings though for stuff that I shouldn't have gotten away with so I guess it evens out.

That's my story. Anyone else ever have a ridiculous and/or funny run in with the cops before?

Edited by S-13

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I posted this on here already...but I'll play.

Last year I was coming through the valley on mayfield road between mayfield and west chester, I was speeding some, but by no means out of control, (maybe 10 over) and there was 2 people behind me doing pretty much the same speed in cars.

I see a cop parked in a dirt driveway off the side of the road, so I slow down. I watch in my mirrors as he slowly pulls out well behind the 2 cars behind me, passes them, then hits his lights and pulls me over nearly 2 miles from where he was parked originally.

He tells me I have "really good brakes" cause he wasn't able to clock me but he knew I was moving really fast before I seen him. Then he goes on to explain that if I had run, that he wouldn't have bothered chasing me, and that I was the first sport bike he had the opportunity to successfully pull over. He proceeded to write me a ticket for 10 over, and ended the conversation with, "next time, slow down, or run":wtf:

What kind of retarded cop advises people to run?

it seems that many Ohio LEOs get that wrong... I've had one try to pull that on me a while ago, and I proved him wrong with the booklet in my trunk :D

That would have been nice to have at the time. There's a lot more to the story that I told too, but it's really long and I didn't feel like typing it out. There was probably about 5 other cops there and neither one of them said anything when I told them it wasn't a law. I even asked the other ones and they all just shrugged.

Magley64, that's really messed up. You would think he'd give you a warning for doing the honest thing and pulling over when you obviously could have gotten away. He was probably just purposely being a dick.

some of the cops in our area are like to target motorcyclist for any reason they can come up with, & half of them do not know all the laws reguarding motorcycles, but they will try to fill their quota none the less !!!!!

...there is no such thing as a quota, i have no idea why people believe that?

Got pulled over last month for driving on Ronald Reagan on a Saturday on motorcycle temps, told i wasn't allowed on interstates. The cop told me he originally pulled me over to tell me my turn signals were hard to see, but working, and that I was going 31 in a 25. He gave me a ticket that had a punishment of up to $1000 in fines and a max 120 days in jail.

Problem is 126(Ronald Reagan) is a State Route, not an interstate

Pulled over 2 weeks ago on my way to work at 5 am, on my bike, asked for my license, told me i was doing nothing wrong but my tags were expired, too bad he was a month early on that call.....thanks for making me late to work asshole.

Back-in-the-day, as a student at OSU and commuting from the East side, I rode the bike in as often as possible. Understand that I went everywhere in car or on bike at full throttle as often as possible. Yes, I had a lot of speeding tickets.

One wet and dark morning, I rode the bike to school, sliding the back tire around corners for amusement. Oops, and did that on a corner next to the fire station. A motorcycle cop was there in a cruiser, it was too wet for their bikes to be out that day. Yup, he saw that, and he chased me down, and stopped me on High Street. There was nothing I could say, he did all the talking. I just waited while he went off on me. I figured saying nothing would be best. Yeah, he was really pissed. He eventually settled down and got to it. One more ticket... for speeding, and there was no way he ever got a clock on me at all. I wasn't even moving, at a red light, when he got to me.

Screw it, I still like to slide around corners...

...there is no such thing as a quota, i have no idea why people believe that?

No there is not, but there is a HUGE dependency from cities for traffic violations. They produce HUGE revenue for the local economy. I tried to find the link really fast about Dayton and how tickets are huge resources for fundings. I did however find this crappy article about Michigan though.

It's all about the money

i am fighting a wreckless op right now. its my 19th traffic violation in 13 years. 17 of them being tickets, 1 of them being on a old suzuki TS 250 on a back country road with no license or insurance and they took my license. just got my license back in january and now this. its gonna cost me $800 in lawyer fees but it will be reduced so i get no points on my license. The Wreckless op came one month after i got this bike (which is my first bike) and my permit. I pulled a wheelie at a traffic light and boom...sheriff close by. oops! its in my blood i can't help it.

my worst year was about 4 years ago when i got 4 tickets in about 8 months. each of the tickets were 82 in a 50, 77 in a 55, 87 in a 65, and a 53 in a 35. :) no i don't learn

hmm last spring I got nailed for riding at night on permit.....BS. The DBAG made me HAUL the freakin bike home!!!! I woulda already had my liscence if they wern't backed up 3 months on the tests!!!

Reason I got pulled over that time was for passing on a double yellow....just because it was just past a intersection. I could see plenty far ahead :( 4 points in one night!!! FML

Oh yea, and they give me a big speech about how they didn't want to scrape me off the rode I was like WTF I had leathers and everything on

That's PARTLY why I don't bother slowing down anymore when on the bike if I have a chance.

They are mostly out there to rake in money. Who cares if im doing 100+ on a bike? Im 10x more alert there than I am when in a car at 60. Its the DUI's and drug busts they need to be after.

Long but True story.

Edited by warpspeed

my worst year was about 4 years ago when i got 4 tickets in about 8 months. each of the tickets were 82 in a 50, 77 in a 55, 87 in a 65, and a 53 in a 35. :) no i don't learn

Wow, and I thought that I had a bad driving record. My record is the reason I bought a cruiser instead of a sportbike. I got two tickets on my brothers bike last summer and wasn't looking to get more.

I got a strong warning on my then ninja 250 for doing a wheelie by a state trooper. Apparently I almost lost it when I set the bike back down. I got the BS line of them wanting me to be safe. What I want to know is how he knew I almost lost it when he wasn't even riding the damn thing?

i am fighting a wreckless op right now. its my 19th traffic violation in 13 years. 17 of them being tickets, 1 of them being on a old suzuki TS 250 on a back country road with no license or insurance I already don't like you and they took my license. and in a case like this, I say fuck yea!!! just got my license back in january and now this. you really don't like to drive do you? its gonna cost me $800 in lawyer fees but it will be reduced so i get no points on my license. The Wreckless op came one month after i got this bike (which is my first bike) and my permit. Its too bad they'll probably take your license again, I wouldn't mind Darwin striking you down I pulled a wheelie at a traffic light and boom...sheriff close by. oops! its in my blood i can't help it.

Wow, you're a fucking idiot. At least you acknowledge it

I got a strong warning on my then ninja 250 for doing a wheelie by a state trooper. Apparently I almost lost it when I set the bike back down. I got the BS line of them wanting me to be safe. What I want to know is how he knew I almost lost it when he wasn't even riding the damn thing?

If you're so inattentative that you didn't see the state trooper before you rode a wheelie by him, how can you argue that you'll see that stop sign/child/car/pedestrian? You really don't think you deserved a ticket for that?

Wow, you're a fucking idiot. At least you acknowledge it

If you're so inattentative that you didn't see the state trooper before you rode a wheelie by him, how can you argue that you'll see that stop sign/child/car/pedestrian? You really don't think you deserved a ticket for that?

:lol:

if there is no quota why do you see more people pulled over and more city cops sitting on the highways, along with troppers towards the end of the month..and thats every month..

amen. And there was a article about 3 months ago some town in ohio was requiring their po po to get atleast 19 tickets each per month or something like that.

Went riding with my roommate and two other guys from another forum here in Michigan. We went down south of Flint into the more twisty areas of road. At one point we passed a sheriff coming out of one corner but we couldn't see if he turned around. We stopped at the next stop sign and apparently there was talk of running at the front of us four. I was in the back and turned around to see him right behind us with lights on. So we pulled over, guy got all four of our licenses, etc.

After about 15 minutes he came back with NO tickets! Sweet! He said he was being lenient since we decided to not run on him even though the leader was doing 64 in a 40 and I was at the back doing 50 in a 40.

There's a side story to this, see my roommate isn't the smartest. He decided to ride his bike since he just got it even though the bank hasn't sent him the title from the previous lien. Well he's got insurance on it, but the plate is off his old Katana, the registration isn't done, and the bike isn't currently titled to him. The cop basically said nicely that he needed to, "Park this today son." And that's it!

We got off lucky.