2005 Mini Cooper S Test Drive

caseyctsv

Ok, I posted about looking for a car for my 16 year old daughter and I received strong feedback here that a Mini Cooper, while extremely cool, was not a good choice. I almost did not listen...

I knew the cars could be maintenance nightmares but figured if I could find one that had been well maintained I would be good. I did a ton of research and found,if you want an auto, get an "S" in 2005s or later (remember this is for my daughter not me and wife was against a manual - note always listen to your wife on this stuff). Fast forward to yesterday when I drove 2 hours to pick up a 2005 Mini Cooper S from private individual. He bought the car for his wife new, had ALL maintenance records, and needed to sell it because his wife had a new one on order. His son also has one in the same year. I am thinking, "clearly this one cannot be bad". First the good - it was beautiful. It was the cleanest I have seen anywhere. You could eat off the floor - I thought I found a steal. It had the most complete records I have ever seen - every oil change / tire rotation etc and the most common problems had already been fixed. As I looked through the receipts my stomach started to turn. He had the steering pump replaced in August....a staggering $2,300. What was I getting into?

As for the drive - do these things even have a suspension or are the wheels bolted right to the frame? It was a blast but you really need to stay with 15s or 16s (this had opt 17s). And then it happened -chunk on a downshift. Me to owner - "does it always downshift that hard?" "My wife drives it so I am not sure". WOT - either I was hitting random ice patches or the tranny is slipping. Pull it back into his garage and put it in park then drive a few times - it would almost chirp the tires.

It could need a simple Trans flush and filter change but I could not spend 6000 on a car that may need a 6000 transmission for my daughter.

TL: DR - Minis are expensive to work on and are terrible DD for a teenager

My office mate has the 2005 and trans just went out. Took it to a shop, they said it was the clutch. Charged him $2000 for new clutch. Drove it home and did the same thing. Took it back, they said it was the trans. Now he's kind of screwed t work it out with them.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4897885852.html something like this a little sporty and no issues

MUCH better option.

Sounds like if she is really dead set on a Mini then you will always have to wonder about trans issues in the back of your mind.

Maybe another option would be a Cobalt SS, in the trusty automatic 2.4L configuration rather than the manual, boosted 2.0 everybody knows about. It looks identical to the boosted cars with the same fascias, a smaller spoiler, and 17" SS wheels rather than 18s.

My GF has a 2007 and its been a solid car really, very cheap and easy to work on (top of motor oil filter cartridge is awesome). Also reasonably fun with the SS suspension and 170hp. Only complaints I've ever had with it is that the suspension is noisy. I replaced spring isolators and struts while back and it eventually developed a rattle again. I understand its somewhat common on them.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4897885852.html something like this a little sporty and no issues

OP can do whatever the hell he wants but I would never risk my nonexistent offspring with a rebuilt salvage title on such a new car. Older cars are one thing since it doesn't take much to damage more than the value of the car, but on something that new it's too risky IMO.

OP can do whatever the hell he wants but I would never risk my nonexistent offspring with a rebuilt salvage title on such a new car. Older cars are one thing since it doesn't take much to damage more than the value of the car, but on something that new it's too risky IMO.

Glad I am not the only one..

I have a Pontiac Vibe for my oldest daughter - fantastic vehicle. Youngest is just not a fan

This is how I got mine in a sense. Gentleman selling it said his 16yr old wasn't into it. Decided to sell it even though he said it was the best car he'd had so he could use the money to put towards a car for her. He was looking at an Eclipse at the time just like the one mentioned above. lol When he told me, though, all I could do was shake my head on the inside. Not a trade I would've wanted. :)