electricians? HOT TUB HELP>>ASAP!!!

TurboRust

Went out tonight to turn up the hot tub and had no power. it was just working 2 days ago. When I first got the tub it had a bad heater element kicking the gfci, new element and all has been well for 5-6 months or so. So disconnect the heater from the board and the breaker doesnt trip, tub comes on and pumps run.

Look online on how to test a heater element. It should be at 9-12 ohms between the terminals it measures 11.1 ohms.. so that says its good, but when connected it trips the breaker....help water temp is at 70 already i have it circulating and a heating pad where the heater would normally be but that can only do so much i'm on borrowed time... post, pm ,text 614-519-2971....heeeelllppppp

Regardless which type meter you are using, you should not be getting a reading, if you do; the element is shorted and needs replacing

Spadepot.Com says

To test hot tub heating elements for integrity, use an ohm meter on its lowest setting. With the meter's test leads, measure the resistance between the two terminals as shown. The acceptable resistance range for heaters used in most hot tubs is between 9 - 12 ohms (a few may be as high as 25 ohms, depending upon kilowatt rating).

A reading which is too low indicates a bad unit: short circuit. A very high (or infinite) reading indicates a bad unit: open circuit or limited conductivity.

Hwat.......You will get an Ohm reading from a good element. Not sure where you came up with the idea hat its bad if you get a reading.

If the reading is infinity or open then the element has a break, and if the reading is near zero or you can touch a ground and one side of the element and get a reading, its shorted.

Someone might not want to work on their own electrical stuff....Just saying.

Just had the same issue with mine, except I didn't catch it soon enough.. pipes froze and broke one, drained all the water out..

Shut the valve off and remove the heating element. Spas direct had one in stock But it was expensive. I bought mine online.

Keep the water circulating.

well I had gotten the element from all seasons spas in hilliard and upon talking to them today their service tech told me to replace the heating element no matter what it was ohming and they would warranty my old one out. so replacing after work today. spa water is down to 63. so hopefully i can save it in time

Oh well I now have 2 $60 elements in my free hot tub.. I ain't bitching too much... I got soaked replacing it though.. this is an older tub with no shutoff valve... neighbor is a plumber and helped me get it in there as quick as possible we are going to pipe in a check valve this summer