Pot hole cost walk through

Mojoe

This morning on the way to work, I saw no less than 10 cars on the side of the road with flat tires. Two of which, looked as though the flat caused one car to hit the other car. One car was a newer BMW M3. I was able to see the tires were low profile and the car looked like it had not been out all winter. All the other cars seemed to be your average daily. This was all in a 22 mile drive. As many of you may have read my posts in the past about how big a fan I am for winter tires. It's not just about traction in the snow. Having a 50+ side wall on the tire can save a wheel. We know Ohio, and Columbus in general, has pot hole issues every year. Yesterday being one of the first nice days have the motor cycles. Last night I heard one ripping through gears and was reminded of the guy who hit a lot hole last year on his bike doing over 100mph. He died.

I say those things to try and get to making sense of bettering the situation. Last year I recall a thread with many of us saying we don't even bring out the fun cars until about April, because of the pot holes and the cost of a wheel. How much is a wheel? I'll say replacing one will run you $50 from a junk yard and any where up to $350 + depending on the wheel and your taste. Then there is a new tire, and I'll keep it simple with the same price range. What about other damage to suspension parts? What about time? Time is the prt that is damn expensive to me. On top of today's weather and having to deal with the crap abou the flat. I'm pretty sure anyone on the side of the road would think $400 is worth while to no deal with the problem at hand. I say $400 because dozens of times a year I see full sets of snow tires, many including wheels, for about $400.

Will you never have a flat with a snow tires or a 50+ side wall tire, no. This is just something to think about if some of you haven't.

I've hit two pot holes that caused wheel and tire damage in the past 12 years. My wife hit one in her van a couple years back. Both times for me the end cost was big as it's never just the wheel and tire. There's always an alignment needed....at least in my two cases. The wife got a new tire and an alignment out of it but the cost of just dicking around with all of it each time is just a big PIA for me as the money.

That said, I do enjoy having a dedicated set of winter tires on a wheel that if it's damaged isn't a big concern. Doesn't negate the short term issues but the long term ones it does.

I hate potholes. They make me cringe. I have them memorized from 161 New Albany Road all the way to work. And I never hit them. They really need to get out first sign of consistent weather and repair the road ways. There is one in particular, middle lane of 161 east bound just past the little turtle overpass that is about 8-10 inches deep, several feet long and about as wide as any tire you'll see. There is a person pulled off everyday. If you hit it no tire of any aspect ratio is going to survive.

I hate potholes. They make me cringe. I have them memorized from 161 New Albany Road all the way to work. And I never hit them. They really need to get out first sign of consistent weather and repair the road ways. There is one in particular, middle lane of 161 east bound just past the little turtle overpass that is about 8-10 inches deep, several feet long and about as wide as any tire you'll see. There is a person pulled off everyday. If you hit it no tire of any aspect ratio is going to survive.

The problem is they are literally changing on a daily basis right now...at least on 161. I know where most of them are but hit one pretty good I wasn't expecting this morning. Hell the man hole cover in the right lane as little turtle merges is even brutal right now.

I literally contemplated pulling the turbo off of the battery tender and driving it to work tomorrow but it's not worth the risk right now until road crews can catch up with the pot holes a little bit.

Funny you posted, I was driving around Sunday and said "Damn, some of these roads aren't even safe for my streetbikes" :lolguy: some 3rd world countries have nicer roads.

Stay safe out there until they get patched up for the spring.

I have seen columbus road crews out at all hours holding up traffic to patch potholes, and generally doing a laughably horrid job. Then the potholes are back opened up the next week. JOB SECURITY

I hit potholes all the time. Yep...That's what a jeep with 30" tires is for.

So I have a question. How fast are y'all hitting these potholes? I don't think I have ever bent a wheel in a pothole and I lived in NYC where the potholes can swallow trucks, and New Orleans whose paved roads not only rival the moon's surface for craters but also move on a daily basis because the water table is less than 6 feet from the surface. Granted I have never owned a car with 18" or larger rims either so maybe I'm just not in the demo for a bent rim.

Probably pretty fast. Right after I had gotten my new Mini a few years back I was headed south on 270 right before the 'new' 161 interchange. Where the pavement was patched together potholes were brewing. I hit one in the snow, at night and ruined a rim. I know we all cant (or dont want) big SUVs but I must say it is super nice with a 75 sidewall lol. I still dodge them, but its not life or death.

WITHIN REASON, I swerve onto shoulders, other lanes (when it's clear) just to avoid potholes. I don't care if I get pulled over for wandering off-lane.

On Sunday, I was driving Cleetus on Bethel, maybe doing 35mph. I hit a pothole that wasn't there a few weeks ago so hard, it bump-steered me almost up the concrete median between eastbound/westbound lanes. First time that ever happened to me. Thud was incredibly loud and I'm glad I had a hand firmly on the wheel because I immediately corrected before I jumped the berm. That could've been really bad if I wasn't paying attention...which is silly because there's always something in that old tee-ruk that commands your attention whilst driving. :lol:

No damage to the snow tire (Firestone Winterforce FTW) but I appreciate this thread: potholes are no f**king joke. Be careful out there!

Ohio roads are on par with a third world country. Two summers ago I brought my bike up to ride around while I was in town, I have no idea how people comfortably ride. Between pot holes that could swallow a whole wheel, and tar snakes everywhere I was white knuckled the whole time.

I don't see whats so difficult about avoiding potholes. Put your phone away, stop fuckin with the radio, pay attention and you wont have a problem. If "you didn't see them because of the car in front of you" then you're probably too tailgating and deserved what you got.
  • Downvote 1

I don't see whats so difficult about avoiding potholes. Put your phone away, stop fuckin with the radio, pay attention and you wont have a problem. If "you didn't see them because of the car in front of you" then you're probably too tailgating and deserved what you got.
dumb...

Sometimes they are not avoidable. People that drive during rush hour u cant just willy nilly swere around your lane to avoid them with out smashing into mr and mrs smith.

Few years ago 270 between broad and hamilton heading north bound the lane next to the fast lane was so brutal i got jacked, if i recall it was 2 tires a wheel and some suspension parts. I couldnt get out of the way. Sad part is the road crew was 1/2 mile behind me fixing these potholes :lol:

I report as many as I can via the 311 app, super easy just select what it is and drop a pin on a map where it is, done. They are pretty good about taking care of them if they are reported.

311 app? More info, i would love to report these dam potholes

I hit a giant one over the summer:confused: on 70 West; blew out my sidewall. Reported it to ODOT and within 6 hours got all sorts of emails/calls as exactly where it was located. I guess ODOT takes highway/interstate potholes pretty serious. They even emailed me a day later with info on how to file a claim, although I never bothered.

I'll say replacing one will run you $50 from a junk yard and any where up to $350 + depending on the wheel and your taste. Then there is a new tire, and I'll keep it simple with the same price range.

Rim just cost me $280 from a junk yard. This was the cheapest around, and came close to online prices...for a Honda. Nope, wasn't a fancy expensive option rim either. Same price range? More like the high side of that. Another $170 there.

Oh, this was on a 45 sidewall. I doubt a 50 would have made a difference.

Ohio roads are worse than Berlin, April 1945.

^^ I hear you. Had I said $200+, someone would jump in with " I can get one way cheaper". You just prove my point more with what you experianced. A hole in the road is a problem no one wants to have. I say a 50+ sidewall, simpley because most people run a 45 or less for performance, or summer tires. Adding more just, allows more flex. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't all the time. I'm just looking to better the chances to aviod being on the side of the road.

There is quite a bit a driver can do to not have an issue with these road canyons. On days like today, many pot holes were filled with water and it's tough to tell if it is standing water or a deep hole. The deep ones usually have a good bit of peble scattered around them from being splashed out of the hole. I think left lanes tend to have the most holes in them. I try to stay to the right lane and place my left tire on the line and even in the shoulder for less traveled, smooth road. As it was said, increase the following distance, and you should have plenty of reaction time. It's the worst feeling when you yell " SON OF A BITCH" from being suprised by a pot hole.

I really don't think too many people on here are the ones we see on the road that are the problem or have the problem. I tend to think we care more about our ride than 98% of the drivers on the roads with us. It's worth posting, even though many of those on CR have been here a while and know these things. However, if someone reads this and never would have thoguht of that, that's were the good comes in.

Wife hit a piece of approx. 3" pipe some jackass lost on 71N. It was laying nearly all the way across her lane and it was dark so impossible to see until the last second.

$260 - 1 Tire (Thanks Derek!)

$125 - 2 bent rims (Thanks Wheel Medic!)

$140 - Alignment and inspection

$525 because securing loads is hard.

Two weeks later someone in the lane next to her hit a pothole and threw a chunk of asphalt into the side of the car and took two dime sized chunks out of the paint on the door.

Then this weekend someone changing lanes in front of us hit a chunk of tire and kicked it up. Smashed the license plate cover and still bent the plate.

Just don't drive for a while, that's my opinion.

the 311 number is to report potholes and ODOT will fill them. They dont count the potholes but the amount of fill they use a year to load the potholes. Also there is a few people who have had success with billing ODOT for pothole damage but ODOT was telling customers "If the potholes were filled within three business days of the claim, ODOT was not Liable". Now, I am not sure if there is any truth to that, I just know people who have contacted ODOT and this is what they have been told.

Also there is a few people who have had success with billing ODOT for pothole damage but ODOT was telling customers "If the potholes were filled within three business days of the claim, ODOT was not Liable". Now, I am not sure if there is any truth to that, I just know people who have contacted ODOT and this is what they have been told.

Here is the information I received from ODOT in regards to filing a claim. Worth mentioning that I never mentioned filing a claim or getting reimbursed, just wanted to alert ODOT to a potentially deadly pothole (thing was MASSIVE) on 70 west.

-Good morning,Can you please clarify whether this was I-70 at I-270 on the West Side (near Hilliard) or the East Side (near Reynoldsburg)?

-West side, near Hilliard, Westbound 270, just west of the 270 bridge

-Thanks for clarifying. I will forward your email to the proper employees at ODOT for their attention.

To receive money from the State of Ohio you will need to file a claim with the Ohio Court of Claims. Please feel free to review the Court of Claim's web site for instructions as to how to file a claim (http://www.cco.state.oh.us). Unless you are declared legally indigent by the Court, there will be a $25.00 fee to file your claim.

Edited by acklac7

I just went out to get pizza a little bit ago, coming home I managed to find a mini canyon in the road with my car. It jarred the hell out of the car and I thought for sure I would have a flat, guess I am lucky though (knock on wood) and there was no damage. Fuck potholes. I am usually pretty good at avoiding them, but they are almost impossible to spot when it is dark and raining.